Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What do I talk about?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:01 am 

HI! I am a starting taxi driver and I have a question. What do I talk with the client about? I find myself asking them about the weather, but that's about it. Talking about politics, seems to be a hard topic, and I am afraid that the client will disagree with me and we start arguing, which I would like to avoid. I have the interest in video games, but this is not a topic that can come up out of nowhere. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:26 pm 

Jan135 wrote:
HI! I am a starting taxi driver and I have a question. What do I talk with the client about? I find myself asking them about the weather, but that's about it. Talking about politics, seems to be a hard topic, and I am afraid that the client will disagree with me and we start arguing, which I would like to avoid. I have the interest in video games, but this is not a topic that can come up out of nowhere. Any suggestions?

Don’t speak unless spoken to. A lot of people prefer a silent, peaceful journey.

You’ll soon get an understanding of where you stand.

If they say shut up and drive, do just that.

If they start asking you about a subject you know little or nothing about, football, or global warming, for example, say so. I took three Grimsby fans from Lincoln back to Grimsby after we beat them (as usual!) but told them I had no interest in football, so I got out alive!

So basically tact and diplomacy is all you need.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:29 pm 

Oh, and never admit to having a good shift, even if you have.

Just started, this is my first job of the day. Might save you from getting mugged.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:58 pm 

hello

nice day

goodbye

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:10 pm 

Talk to them just like you would talk to anyone else, after all these are just fellow human beings using your services...however if they are talking amongst themselves it's best just to listen and add input only if asked....and if they are arguing just listen but never give your input.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:23 pm 

Jan135 wrote:

Let them lead any conversation.

Don't talk about left-wing or right-wing politics, but its best to plead stupidity.

Basically, just agree with them, after all they are only in the car for 5-10 minutes in most cases.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:33 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
1) if they are going to the hospital be careful about getting onto the topic of what's wrong with them …

… unless you want to hear about their entire medical history

2) if they are going to the station don't talk to them about how bad the service is but a casual "are you off to London then ?" sometimes works or if they have suitcases "are you off on your hols?" can work but be prepared to be told a real sob story because a suitcase can often mean a funeral or other sad family situation

3) groups of lads going to the pub sport is usually a safe bet

4) little old ladies going shopping usually like to talk about the weather

but otherwise many punters are very happy with hello, goodbye and nothing in between

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:42 pm 

Thanks for the replies. You guys are the best!