Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu May 19, 2022 3:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:44 pm
Posts: 10588
Location: Scotland
I have just been pulled up for driving down a pedestrian precinct, to drop a disabled person who could hardly walk to a bank in the middle of it, all the shops along it also get delivery's
I told the taxi inspector I had a duty of care to make sure that the passenger could get to their destination, he claimed that as the signage said no entry, I was breaking the law, so what are you meant to do to deliver someone who can hardly walk to their destination


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:47 pm
Posts: 16883
Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
It depends on what the actual signage says ours allows disabled access and deliveries before 10 am and after 4pm but NOT in between those times although many ignore it and the police are never about these days

_________________
Taxis Are Public Transport too

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 pm
Posts: 19169
We have similar here. If the passenger needs to be in a pedestrianised area they should bring someone with them who can help them. We are even told that we can't drop off and pick up in the pedestrian area when it is open for deliveries.

_________________
Grandad,
To support my charity text MAYORWALK to 70085 to donate £5


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:36 pm
Posts: 1274
We have a ridiculous situation here in Chester, the very centre of Chester is pedestrianised between 10.00 and 16.30, only blue badge holders are permitted. We are not allowed access through the manually controlled barrier even if we have a passenger in a wheelchair onboard, unless they have a blue badge with them, many of our customers don’t have a blue badge.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 6:33 am
Posts: 10068
Skippy, the clue is in the phrase *pedestrian* precinct :lol:

More seriously, though, and as others are saying, the precise rules for allowing access will be, er, somewhere. Assuming there's access at all for anyone other than the usual delivery drivers or whatever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 8:15 pm
Posts: 9000
skippy41 wrote:
I have just been pulled up for driving down a pedestrian precinct, to drop a disabled person who could hardly walk to a bank in the middle of it, all the shops along it also get delivery's
I told the taxi inspector I had a duty of care to make sure that the passenger could get to their destination, he claimed that as the signage said no entry, I was breaking the law, so what are you meant to do to deliver someone who can hardly walk to their destination


I'd have thought that unless the police charged you for the offence then the Taxi Inspector had no grounds to discipline you.....were you fined for it?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 50189
Location: 1066 Country
skippy41 wrote:
I have just been pulled up for driving down a pedestrian precinct, to drop a disabled person who could hardly walk to a bank in the middle of it, all the shops along it also get delivery's
I told the taxi inspector I had a duty of care to make sure that the passenger could get to their destination, he claimed that as the signage said no entry, I was breaking the law, so what are you meant to do to deliver someone who can hardly walk to their destination

It all depends on what the Traffic Order says.

I would also give your customer the details of the taxi inspector so they can have a chat with them.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:58 pm
Posts: 3324
Location: Plymouth
Hi Skippy,
You haven't posted on here since the old King died.

_________________
Chris The Fish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 23466
Location: A City near Birmingham
x-ray wrote:
We have a ridiculous situation here in Chester, the very centre of Chester is pedestrianised between 10.00 and 16.30, only blue badge holders are permitted. We are not allowed access through the manually controlled barrier even if we have a passenger in a wheelchair onboard, unless they have a blue badge with them, many of our customers don’t have a blue badge.


so to pickup that blue badge how do you get to the passenger in the PedZone?

_________________
Freedom is never free


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 23466
Location: A City near Birmingham
Chris the Fish wrote:
Hi Skippy,
You haven't posted on here since the old King died.


His Skoda was broken

_________________
Freedom is never free


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:36 pm
Posts: 1274
wannabeeahack wrote:
x-ray wrote:
We have a ridiculous situation here in Chester, the very centre of Chester is pedestrianised between 10.00 and 16.30, only blue badge holders are permitted. We are not allowed access through the manually controlled barrier even if we have a passenger in a wheelchair onboard, unless they have a blue badge with them, many of our customers don’t have a blue badge.


so to pickup that blue badge how do you get to the passenger in the PedZone?


That’s the point, you can’t!

The system they used to have was the wheelchair customer could walk in to any of the shops in the zone and ask them to call the kiosk where the attendant was and give them the name of the disabled customer. Then when we arrived at the barrier we gave the name and the shop where the pick up was and he allowed us access. That’s now deemed unworkable and the customer has to be wheeled to either end of the Ped Zone. #-o


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 50189
Location: 1066 Country
This is taken from the recent DfT draft consultation document.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ngland.pdf

11.7 Licensing authorities should work with local authority partners to ensure that vehicle priority measures, parking and waiting restrictions do not prevent disabled passengers from being picked up and/or dropped off close to their origin or destination. Care should also be taken to ensure that facilities for cyclists do not prevent access to the kerbside for long distances.
11.8 Authorities should also work with the operators of facilities served by a high volume of private hire vehicles to ensure that safe spaces are provided for drivers to collect passengers, without requiring them to navigate busy car parks alone.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group