Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Private hire Monthly
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:31 pm 
When I saw the discrepancy in the figures published by Private hire & Taxi monthly I thought to myself, how the hell could a supposedly responsible person publish so inaccurate a figure in a Trade Magazine that supposedly has a circulation of over 25.000. This magazine is accepted by Government and National bodies as a reflection of the Taxi and Private hire Trade.

I know that the Manchester Private hire association was started here in Manchester by a guy named Dave Thompson of CityCars. From what I can gather Brain Rowland the person who runs Private hire and Taxi magazine was also an early participant and took over from Dave Thompson when he departed from the Cab Game.

What makes me wonder about Mr. Brian Rowland is the fact he hasn't got a badge, he doesn't own a Cab firm, yet he owns and runs a magazine that is supposedly an accurate reflection of the Taxi and Private hire trade.

I get the distinct impression that Mr Rowlands magazine is in business not because it portrays an accurate view of the Cab trade, but because he uses the magazine as a means of sustaining his own financial well being. He achieves this through profits gained from advertising revenue.

I'm beginning to think MR Rowland speaks for no one but himself.

I would be interested to here the opinions from those people who have read this Magazine. It appears Mr Rowland mainly distributes this magazine free of charge. Understandable when you realise the magazine is mainly made up of advertising space. Naturally, the more people he has on his mailing list the better it looks for his prospective advertisers.

Best wishes.

John Davies
Manchester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:35 pm 
Sounds a bit like some on here, pretend to be cab drivers.

Post subject: Re: Private hire Monthly
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:57 pm 
John Davies. wrote:
When I saw the discrepancy in the figures published by Private hire & Taxi monthly I thought to myself, how the hell could a supposedly responsible person publish so inaccurate a figure in a Trade Magazine that supposedly has a circulation of over 25.000. This magazine is accepted by Government and National bodies as a reflection of the Taxi and Private hire Trade.

I know that the Manchester Private hire association was started here in Manchester by a guy named Dave Thompson of CityCars. From what I can gather Brain Rowland the person who runs Private hire and Taxi magazine was also an early participant and took over from Dave Thompson when he departed from the Cab Game.

What makes me wonder about Mr. Brian Rowland is the fact he hasn't got a badge, he doesn't own a Cab firm, yet he owns and runs a magazine that is supposedly an accurate reflection of the Taxi and Private hire trade.

I get the distinct impression that Mr Rowlands magazine is in business not because it portrays an accurate view of the Cab trade, but because he uses the magazine as a means of sustaining his own financial well being. He achieves this through profits gained from advertising revenue.

I'm beginning to think MR Rowland speaks for no one but himself.

I would be interested to here the opinions from those people who have read this Magazine. It appears Mr Rowland mainly distributes this magazine free of charge. Understandable when you realise the magazine is mainly made up of advertising space. Naturally, the more people he has on his mailing list the better it looks for his prospective advertisers.

Best wishes.

John Davies
Manchester

I cant wait to read private hire monthly, it reads like the beano, a laugh a minute we do ourselves no favours with the strings of arguments that frankly dont hold water.

the adverts are a must and essensial to my buisness.

as for Bryan, well he just thinks he has all the natural answers he doesnt.

however the mag is a danger to our trade, one only has to read on here that it is misused as a text book for our representatives, no wonder our trade is a mess.

but it is what it is, is there a better exchange and mart for our trade?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:00 pm 
Nidge wrote:

yes nige know what you mean, you wanna cab? sorry they are all at Watford station?

never mind suppose the surplus cabs must go somewhere.

but Watford station from Mansfield?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:30 pm 
John,

A relative point and one that has been made to me a number of times, for a gentleman to have so much apparent influence in the trade, with the only investment being a magazine, but no investment in livlihood does tend to say an awful lot.

Regards

Captain Cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:31 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Nidge wrote:

yes nige know what you mean, you wanna cab? sorry they are all at Watford station?

never mind suppose the surplus cabs must go somewhere.

but Watford station from Mansfield?

4 out of 70 went to Watford you dipstick, hardly enough to make people wait for a cab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:07 pm 

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. :?

Firstly I get it for nothing, so really I can't complain too much.

There are pro's and con's about PHM.

It does keep a lot of the HC/PH boys sort of up to date, with any new legislation. A bit like TDO tries too, but clearly on a greater scale.

I also think PHM has led to drivers getting a better deal for new cars (bar TXs) and insurance. The more deals available for cars and insurance, the better.

The down side in my opinion, is that the NPHA is viewed by the powers that be, as being representative of the PH trade. It isn't. :shock:

Mr Rowland is very knowledgeable about this wonderful trade of ours, despite what many may say. But he is not the be all and end all.

One of the ways that I hope TDO differs from the NPHA, is that any info giving over this site, does not come at a price.

I well remember the CRB fiasco, and the NPHA worked out a way how to get drivers through the CRB mess, enabling them to work ASAP.

However those drivers had to join the NPHA, to benefit from any help.

I believe hell will freeze over, before TDO ask anyone in the s***, to pay for any help and advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:22 pm 

Sussex Man wrote:

It does keep a lot of the HC/PH boys sort of up to date, with any new legislation. A bit like TDO tries too, but clearly on a greater scale.

I also think PHM has led to drivers getting a better deal for new cars (bar TXs) and insurance. The more deals available for cars and insurance, the better.

The down side in my opinion, is that the NPHA is viewed by the powers that be, as being representative of the PH trade. It isn't. :shock:

Mr Rowland is very knowledgeable about this wonderful trade of ours, despite what many may say. But he is not the be all and end all.

One of the ways that I hope TDO differs from the NPHA, is that any info giving over this site, does not come at a price.

I well remember the CRB fiasco, and the NPHA worked out a way how to get drivers through the CRB mess, enabling them to work ASAP.

However those drivers had to join the NPHA, to benefit from any help.

I believe hell will freeze over, before TDO ask anyone in the s***, to pay for any help and advice.

I'm not sure if I agrees that it keeps people upto date, I think its selective in what it publishes, some of what is published is not in its entirity.

Having 3 or 4 pages full of opinion does tend to give the impression of this is what you will think too.

Not sure I agree with the prices scenario either, any trade publication could put lots of dealers in then with the competition the dealers would reduce prices, but as most prices are based on finance deals, are we getting better prices? True the paper does give us comparisions, but this is perhaps down to the dealers.

I dont think insurance is any cheaper at all, its went up during the past few years, as more and more companies have left the market.

Regarding the CRB, common sense prevailed, nothing more

disagreeing with sussex twice in an evening!!

Captain Cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:33 pm 

In defence of Bryan.

Lets get some facts straight. Bryan does not own the magazine, that is owned by Zebra Publishing. I believe Bryan is paid for his role of editor.

NPHA represents its members. Those of us who pay our annual fee. It shouldn't be expected to represent the great unwashed.

Bryan preaches yes, and has upset many in the trade if his view hasn't in line with theirs. Some on here have stated that he ignored them in preference to his established members, that is life, we don't have to work with everybody.

I refer to Bryan for legal advice and it is always relevant and accurate.

If any of you have every visited the offices of NPHA you would realise Bryan is failing in area drastically. That is, getting rich out of the trade.

I take Bryan at face value, pay my subs cos it is good value.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:48 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
John,

A relative point and one that has been made to me a number of times, for a gentleman to have so much apparent influence in the trade, with the only investment being a magazine, but no investment in livlihood does tend to say an awful lot.

Regards

Captain Cab

I think I may have read this magazine once back in the early nineties but I may be mistaken. The premises he works from is in silver street Bury but for a magazine that has its origins in the Northwest he has no support up here whatsoever from P/H drivers. For some unknown reason, he seems to get all his support from down south.

There is a legal case being entered into up here in Manchester about Illuminated roof signs. The council have removed all illuminated roof signs from P/H vehicles and the private hire operators association are fighting the decision in court. They have called Mr Rowland as an expert witness. I haven't got a clue what expertise he has but it won’t be long before we find out.

The Private hire operators association is taking the line that removal of the signs is tantamount to removing a level of public safety.

Naturally the Private hire association haven't got a case but its the same old story, some people have to learn the hard way.

The person who put his name on the dotted line for this organisation has already been hit with a bill for 20 grand. The council is now trying to make him bankrupt. He owns a company called ekko cars in the cheetham hill area of Manchester, they obviously have an adoring relationship with roof signs otherwise they wouldn't risk going to court and chance losing thousands of pounds.

The Manchester Private Hire Association is run by a level headed person called Paul Meek. I'll pose this question to all those P/H drivers down south, "has it never occured to you why Manchester Private hire drivers will have nothing whatsoever to do with Mr Rowland"

I believe Mr Rowland charges in the region of a thousand per page for advertising. I would say it was a case of Mr Rowland needs the Taxi trade more than the Taxi trade needs Mr Rowland.

Best wishes

John Davies.
Manchester.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:01 pm 

John Davies wrote:
[
I believe Mr Rowland charges in the region of a thousand per page for advertising. I would say it was a case of Mr Rowland needs the Taxi trade more than the Taxi trade needs Mr Rowland.

Best wishes

John Davies.
Manchester.

This point has been made to at least one supplier of purpose built vehicles, why support a paper that is for all intense and purposes PH and a market that they could never hope to obtain.

A couple of issues later the magazine added taxi to the title.

If the HC trade dont like this support another national trade magazine, but we are limited.

To be fair to Mr Rowland, he distributes nationally a trade paper, it is about the only trade paper delivered regular in the majority of the country, and he does it well.

It is fair to say he is making the most of this, hence the number of adverts and the pretence that he speaks for more people than he actually represents, this is not his fault, but i cannot see him stating the contrary either!

regards

captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:51 pm 

John Davies wrote:
There is a legal case being entered into up here in Manchester about Illuminated roof signs. The council have removed all illuminated roof signs from P/H vehicles and the private hire operators association are fighting the decision in court. They have called Mr Rowland as an expert witness. I haven't got a clue what expertise he has but it won’t be long before we find out.

I think he has been accredited with 'expert witness' status by the courts.

As for the roof lights, it will be very interesting.

The last time I remember this being contested in the Crown Court, the decision went the way of the PH trade.

In fact they got offered bigger roof lights than they requested. :D

See the issue isn't just what Manchester council think, it's what the courts decide to be fair and reasonable.

I think the issue of ID, in this case a roof light, is an issue that one court will decide is OK, and another that it's not OK.

However on this issue, I would rather have Mr Rowland on my side, than against me. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:53 pm 
Tom Thumb wrote:
In defence of Bryan.

Lets get some facts straight. Bryan does not own the magazine, that is owned by Zebra Publishing. I believe Bryan is paid for his role of editor.

In my original post I stated I new very little about this magazine, I'm pleased for the info anyone can give me on the subject. However in my endeavours to find out a little more about the Magazine, I contacted a few people who do know Mr Rowland. I thought they could shed some light on the magazine that calls itself the Private hire and Taxi monthly.

I'm pleased you have enlightened me that he sold it to ZEEBRA publishing in Failsworth? Any idea when? The young lady I spoke to today at Zeebra Publishing said they were just the publishers and Mr Rowland owned it. Maybe the girl I spoke to meant he used to own it.

Anyway, Mr Rowland confirmed to me that he published the table that didn't take into account the full facts of the actual average fare tariff in Hartlepool and to me that is a disgrace. If he's going to put himself up as the front man for the National private hire association he ought to get his facts right.

But thank you Tom for informing me he no longer owns the Private hire and Taxi Monthly. I'll phone Zeebra and ask them why they have the word Taxi in their magazine when they have nothing whatsoever to do with the Taxi Trade.

Do you think they put the word Taxi in the title for revenue purposes?

Anyone got any ideas as to what I should say to Zeebra If they tell me that they don't own the magazine?
Quote:
NPHA represents its members. Those of us who pay our annual fee. It shouldn't be expected to represent the great unwashed.

Whats the most momentous achievement Mr Rowland has done for the private hire trade? That the private hire trade couldn't have done for itself?

Quote:
Bryan preaches yes, and has upset many in the trade if his view hasn't in line with theirs. Some on here have stated that he ignored them in preference to his established members, that is life, we don't have to work with everybody.

I refer to Bryan for legal advice and it is always relevant and accurate.

He has a Barrister friend that advises him doesn't he? And in return, he puts work the Barristers way.

For instance, this Illuminated sign case in Manchester was given to Mr Rowlands Barrister friend was it not?

I was under the impression the objections to the removal of illuminated signs was done and dusted but I was told tonight it wasn't.

I bet poor Mr Shamin Raja of ekko cars wishes he had never laid eyes on Mr Rowland. Besides being twenty grand lighter I understand the council have refused to renew his operators licence. They learn the hard way don't they.

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/news/2003/jan/private.htm

Best wishes

John Davies.
Manchester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:58 pm 

John Davies. wrote:
Do you think they put the word Taxi in the title for revenue purposes?

I would have thought that the advertisers would much prefer that.:wink:

I also believe that the NPHA does have HC members. Maybe they are part of mixed HC/PH fleets.

As for the bit about being called taxi, to me that's not a big problem. I never go to a job and shout Private Hire for ......... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:27 pm 

John

Please feel free to delve into the ownership. I was working on the assumption that the 'publishers' actually owned it. If you want to pay money to advertise you talk to Zeebra, if you want to go on the mailing list you talk to Zeebra. Silly me.

I do know that one advertisers spends in the region of 6K per issue to advertise in this rag.

Why do you think a hard nose business man would do that?

I reckon it is probably because it is the best medium available to him to reach his target market.

That probably indicates that it is the 'best read' publication in the taxi/ph trade.

As for the ph/roofsigns issue I know BR has been a 'legal expert' in cases before on this issue.

Makes me wonder, why has he p****d you off so much?