UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 8:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: maybe?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:32 pm 

Post subject: Re: maybe?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:59 am 

Definitely a possibility.

The technology is still in its infancy especially car battery technology and they appear to be significantly overpriced compared to ICE cars particularly used vehicles which even today with the crazy used prices are still much much cheaper.

It's not out of the question for electric vehicle prices to plunge particularly used and older ones with dated technology assuming we get some innovation.

The depreciation could be catastrophic with no buyers in the used market to be found. High electricity prices (like today) could really effect the BEV market severely.

Battery degradation is another problem too and if they need replacing after the warranty period then forget about it.

Will be keeping my 20 year old Toyota. Leave EVs to the stupid early adopters with more money than sense. Will leave it to them to take the hit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:29 pm 

Rebel-Taxi-Driver wrote:
Definitely a possibility.

The technology is still in its infancy especially car battery technology and they appear to be significantly overpriced compared to ICE cars particularly used vehicles which even today with the crazy used prices are still much much cheaper.

It's not out of the question for electric vehicle prices to plunge particularly used and older ones with dated technology assuming we get some innovation.

The depreciation could be catastrophic with no buyers in the used market to be found. High electricity prices (like today) could really effect the BEV market severely.

Battery degradation is another problem too and if they need replacing after the warranty period then forget about it.

Will be keeping my 20 year old Toyota. Leave EVs to the stupid early adopters with more money than sense. Will leave it to them to take the hit.

onboard generation is the one true way forward, batteries are the problem

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:38 pm 

I know of one driver who has an electric car that is just over 12 months old and his batteries will only take a 50% charge, he is being told that the batteries is not covered under the warranty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:02 pm 

MR T wrote:
I know of one driver who has an electric car that is just over 12 months old and his batteries will only take a 50% charge, he is being told that the batteries is not covered under the warranty

We have had our Nissan Leaf for 3 years now and it still takes a full charge and does over 200 miles on a charge.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:16 am 

grandad wrote:
MR T wrote:

We have had our Nissan Leaf for 3 years now and it still takes a full charge and does over 200 miles on a charge.

Well, you should be able to tell us are the batteries covered by the firms guarantee or are they separate?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:50 pm 

grandad wrote:
MR T wrote:

batteries have a finite cycle (recharge) life, has the can done any mileage?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:51 pm 

Quote:
Nissan Leaf owners should expect it to last around ten years. Depending on which model of the EV you own, you should be able to get between 84 - 145 miles from each charge. Lithium-ion batteries in EVs slowly degrade over time, and with each charging cycle, they get a little worse

Quote:
How much does it cost to replace a Nissan LEAF battery?
Labor for battery work like this may cost around $1,000, so a full replacement for a Nissan Leaf battery could cost anywhere from $4,500-$16,000 depending on the pack size and manufacturing year of the replacement.6 Mar 2023