Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:31 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/medical/britain-on-lockdown-alert-as-new-killer-virus-which-kills-40-of-victims-certain-to-reach-uk/ar-AA1dTC8D?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=8427ffe807df478db3070160e35fa2e9&ei=9

Britain on lockdown alert as new killer virus which kills up to 40% of victims 'certain' to reach UK

Britain has been warned it could face another Covid-style lockdown when a new killer virus sweeping Europe reaches the UK.

Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever (CCHF) - which kills between 10–40% of people infected - has been identified as a major threat to public health.

The World Health Organisation says the virus - which kills 500 people every year - is mainly transmitted to people from ticks and livestock animals.

But human-to-human transmission can occur and the disease, which is endemic and has recently killed people in Africa, the Balkans, the Middle East and Asia, is now sweeping through Europe with up to three billion people now 'at risk'.

There is no vaccine.

Professor James Wood, who spoke to Parliament's Science, Innovation and Technology Committee last week, said: "It's when rather than if [the disease reached the UK].

"I think all in all likelihood. There is a risk of spread given the way that diseases emerging."

But he denied a national lockdown would be a sensible way to deal with the arrival of the virus in the UK.

Prof Wood, an academic at University of Cambridge, added: "You'd be unlikely to get the sort of respiratory transmission [seen in Covid].

"So even say, I don't want to call them extreme lockdown enthusiasts, but, someone who thinks that these measures are very important to, to impose straightaway, I don't think it would be appropriate as it's not right for this form of infection."

there's more but you get the gist

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:27 pm 

Even if the bubonic plague came around again there is no way we would do a similar lockdown.

I think folks will just take their chances, without the government taking over our lives.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:28 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Sussex wrote:
Even if the bubonic plague came around again there is no way we would do a similar lockdown.

I think folks will just take their chances, without the government taking over our lives.

Bubonic plague is around just not in Europe. :wink:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:42 pm 

edders23 wrote:
Sussex wrote:

Bubonic plague is around just not in Europe. :wink:

https://www.cdc.gov/plague/maps/index.html