Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Non UK taxi news
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:17 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
quel surprise Melton Mowbray jobs sacrificed to keep french workers going which is what you get when you let every British company going to be Foreign owned in the name of "free market"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-68533129

Plans to close a metals factory in Leicestershire has put 161 people at risk of redundancy.

The Holwell foundry, in Melton Mowbray, dates back to 1881 and manufactures access covers and gratings.

Owner Saint-Gobain PAM UK said a consultation on the proposal to shut the factory - in December - was under way.

It said the foundry had faced challenges in recent years, including cost increases and the pandemic.

The firm, owned by French parent company Saint-Gobain, plans to move manufacturing of its access covers and gratings to a sister site in Blénod, in France.

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:53 am 

Is it just me struggling to see the "Non UK Taxi News" element in Edders post?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:59 pm 

Chris the Fish wrote:
Is it just me struggling to see the "Non UK Taxi News" element in Edders post?

a bit bleary eyed this morning and clicked on the wrong one :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:19 pm 

That's quite a sum, hope he has learnt his lesson.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dub ... 99636.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:23 pm 

here's a bigger sum to put a smile on sussex's face

uber agrees 178m aussie payout

Uber has agreed to pay A$271.8m ($178.3m; £140m) to settle a lawsuit in Australia, according to a law firm for taxi operators and drivers.

Maurice Blackburn Lawyers filed the class action on behalf of over 8,000 taxi and hire car owners and drivers.

The case alleged they lost income when the ride-hailing giant "aggressively" moved into the country.

"Uber fought tooth and nail at every point along the way," the law firm said.

"Since 2018, Uber has made significant contributions into various state-level taxi compensation schemes, and with today's proposed settlement, we put these legacy issues firmly in our past," Uber said in a statement.

The company did not disclose the size of the proposed settlement.

"It would be inappropriate to comment on specifics until the agreement is finalised and the settlement is disclosed to the court," it said.

The class action was filed against Uber in 2019 in the Supreme Court of Australia's Victoria state.

"This case succeeded where so many others have failed. In Victoria, Queensland and Western Australia, cases were brought against governments and all of them failed," Maurice Blackburn principal lawyer Michael Donelly said.

"What our group members asked for was not another set of excuses - but an outcome - and today we have delivered it for them," he added.

Before any pay out can be made the court still needs to approve the proposed settlement as being in the best interests of group members.

San Francisco-based Uber, which was founded in 2009, operates in around 70 countries and more than 10,000 cities globally.

Over the years, it has faced protests by taxi drivers in cities around the world.

In December 2023, the company won a lawsuit brought against it by 2,500 taxi drivers in France.

A Paris commercial court ruled that Uber had not committed acts of unfair competition.

The taxi drivers had been seeking €455m ($495.4m; £389m).

this might be of interest to the London taxi class action bods

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:30 pm 

Edders wrote:
here's a bigger sum to put a smile on sussex's face

Edders wrote:
this might be of interest to the London taxi class action bods

Which is maybe why Sussex posted a similar article in the London taxi class action thread a couple of days ago :D

(Or I assume it's a similar article - spent a few minutes looking into that article the other night, so can't be bothered reading what looks like a rehash.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:51 pm 

Interesting addition to the Australian situation.

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2024/ap ... llegations

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:45 am 

Sussex wrote:
Interesting addition to the Australian situation.

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2024/ap ... llegations

with ubers history this seems totally in keeping with their win at all costs strategy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:20 pm 

Turkish driver leaves taxi stuck between walls while fleeing police

https://www.duvarenglish.com/turkish-dr ... news-64186

A Turkish taxi driver on April 13 left his vehicle stuck between walls while trying to flee the police, Demirören News Agency reported.

Accordingly, the taxi driver with the initials Y.K. did not obey the stop warning of the police at around 3.30 a.m. local time and started fleeing in the capital province of Ankara’s Etimesgut district.

After fleeing for a while, the driver entered the parking lot of a market to cover his tracks.

The driver tried to get out of the lot after seeing that the police were following him, but his car got stuck between the wall of the market and the garden wall of the next apartment building.

The police then took the driver out of the window of his car and confiscated his license.

Mehmet Taş, who works at the market at the scene, said, “I came to work in the morning, and there was a taxi between our market and the wall. It is a passage where even a wheelbarrow does not pass. I can't understand how this car got in there. I was very surprised when I saw it.”

Istanbul Municipality receives thousands of complaints about taxi drivers being picky with passengersIstanbul Municipality receives thousands of complaints about taxi drivers being picky with passengers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:14 pm 

Sussex wrote:

A Turkish taxi driver on April 13 left his vehicle stuck between walls while trying to flee the police, Demirören News Agency reported.

Accordingly, the taxi driver with the initials Y.K. did not obey the stop warning of the police at around 3.30 a.m. local time and started fleeing in the capital province of Ankara’s Etimesgut district.

After fleeing for a while, the driver entered the parking lot of a market to cover his tracks.

The driver tried to get out of the lot after seeing that the police were following him, but his car got stuck between the wall of the market and the garden wall of the next apartment building.

The police then took the driver out of the window of his car and confiscated his license.

Mehmet Taş, who works at the market at the scene, said, “I came to work in the morning, and there was a taxi between our market and the wall. It is a passage where even a wheelbarrow does not pass. I can't understand how this car got in there. I was very surprised when I saw it.”

Istanbul Municipality receives thousands of complaints about taxi drivers being picky with passengersIstanbul Municipality receives thousands of complaints about taxi drivers being picky with passengers

I think we can award him the clarkson medal of dickheadery

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:39 pm 

4 Irish men arrested for beating up Barcelona driver

https://www.catalannews.com/society-science/item/four-irish-men-released-on-bail-after-being-arrested-for-beating-up-taxi-driver-in-barcelona

The four Irish tourists arrested on Monday after allegedly beating up a taxi driver in Barcelona were released on bail on Tuesday.

A court in the southern city of Reus has ruled that the visitors must appear in court whenever necessary. Police are investigating the men for assault.

The events took place in the early hours of Monday morning as the tourists, who were visiting Barcelona, were about to take a taxi to Reus airport for their return flight.

The tourists had originally arranged for a traditional taxi to pick them up from their hotel in Barcelona's Raval neighborhood, but changed their minds at the last minute and opted for a vehicle from a ride-hailing app such as Uber or Cabify.

When the conventional taxi arrived, the group of tourists were getting into another vehicle, which caused the taxi driver to get into a heated argument with them, insisting that the trip was rightfully his since they had booked him first.

Tensions escalated when the taxi driver stood in front of the private hire vehicle and prevented them from leaving. At that point, the four Irish men physically assaulted the taxi driver.

it's really annoying when this happens so can understand the drivers frustration

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:04 pm 

edders23 wrote:
Sussex wrote:

I think we can award him the clarkson medal of dickheadery

Can't be bothered reading that, but from the photograph his driving reminds me of your use of the forum :lol:

(And, yes, I'm being ironic is making the thread look even messier by ridiculous overquoting :roll:)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:38 pm 

Quote:
Can't be bothered reading that, but from the photograph his driving reminds me of your use of the forum

think I preferred it when you spent all your time overanalysing news stories and I am using quoting in similar vein to many other forum users

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:51 pm 

One thing you certainly won't be accused of is 'overanalysing', Edders :-o

Even though you can afford to pay someone to wash your dishes, and I have to waste so much time doing my own. (Like I occassionally forget that Grandad's a politician, I sometimes forget you're a property/taxi magnate :wink: )

But, of course, it makes me feel 'special' (© Grandad) :lol: :oops:

But which begs the question, Edders, if you don't like my 'overanalysis' and the bit of effort I put into the forum, why do you keep turning up whenever I post anything and offer your 'input' without even reading the article? :?

Why not do a Grandad and ignore my posts? As indeed I've asked you to do politely several times?

And who claimed you're the only one overquoting? But *I* know that *you* know what it's all about (and you know how to used the edit button), so why keep on doing it after 15 years?

Oh, of course, you're hoping someone will 'bite' :-|

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:25 am 

US man, 81, charged with murdering Uber driver

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68838017

Police in Ohio have arrested a man for the murder of an Uber driver he mistakenly believed was part of a scam.

According to the Clark County Sheriff's Office, driver Loletha Hall, 61, was shot multiple times by William Brock, 81, outside his South Charleston home last month.

A scammer had contacted Mr Brock, demanded thousands of dollars and threatened to kill his nephew.

He has pleaded not guilty to a charge of murder.

Ms Hall, according to officials, was also sent to Mr Brock's house by a scammer and instructed to pick up a package.

Police released dashcam footage of the 25 March incident showing Mr Brock brandishing a pistol and pointing it at Ms Hall to prevent her from leaving.

During their investigation, officials discovered that an unknown man had called Mr Brock and told him he needed to pay $12,000 (£9,600) to get his nephew out of jail.

Police say the caller threatened to kill his nephew if he did not pay the ransom.

A scammer also hired Ms Hall through the Uber app and sent her to pick up a package from Mr Brock's home. She was unaware of the threats he had received, officials say.

very sad situation :sad:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next