Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Non UK taxi news
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:57 pm 

The absolute front of this fella. [-(

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/cour ... 54015.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:46 pm 

Sussex wrote:

typical Irishman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:09 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
wannabeeahack wrote:
Sussex wrote:

typical Irishman

Quote:
Bashiru Aderibigbe

yes real traditional irish name that :lol:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:34 pm 

Uber driver kept stolen rental car running for 3 weeks to avoid making payments

A Florida man working as an Uber driver kept his rented vehicle running for three weeks after he stopped making payments on it, knowing that the SUV would not restart if he turned the engine off, authorities said.

According to a news release from the Polk County Sheriff’s Office, Elijah Austin Mills, 27, of Maitland, was arrested Oct. 24 and charged with grand theft of a motor vehicle and driving with a suspended or revoked license.

“We talk about crazy criminals, but this is the craziest criminal we’ve had in a while,” Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said in a video posted to the YouTube page of the sheriff’s office.

According to the sheriff’s office, shortly after 9:30 p.m. EDT, Mills, in his capacity as an Uber driver, was tranpsorting a couple visiting from the United Kingdom to their rental home in a Chevrolet Equinox crossover SUV when he was boxed in by four deputies and forced to stop on U.S. 27 in Davenport, located several miles west of Walt Disney World, WFTV reported.

Deputies said that Mills, who rented the vehicle in order to work as an Uber driver, had stopped making payments on it and refused to take calls from the Orange County company he contracted with, the sheriff’s office said.

Judd said at one point, the investigation became a crime and the vehicle was classified as stolen.

After stopping Mills, deputies arrested him and took the couple, who were in the area to get married, back to their retail property, the sheriff’s office said.

“You can’t believe this,” Judd said. “He left the car running for three weeks. Do you know why? If he turned it off, it wouldn’t crank back up.”

The rental company had installed devices in its vehicles that could be remotely activated to stop the car from restarting if a renter stopped making payments, the sheriff’s office said.

“So he left the car running -- did you hear what I said?” Judd said. “Now someone’s gonna buy that rental car one day and have no idea it idled for three weeks.”

Mills is scheduled to appear in court on Nov. 28, according to Polk County online court records.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:42 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Uber driver kept stolen rental car running for 3 weeks to avoid making paymentsThe rental company had installed devices in its vehicles that could be remotely activated to stop the car from restarting if a renter stopped making payments, the sheriff’s office said.

all cars should have this, no more police chases, just ring the number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:37 pm 

Police arrest Japan taxi driver after running over pigeon

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/ja ... on-3966581

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:12 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Police arrest Japan taxi driver after running over pigeon

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/ja ... on-3966581

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I know from personal experience that sometimes the only way to get them to move is to charge at them. But sometimes they just stand there and wait for you to run them over :sad:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:43 pm 

If you are going to try it on then don't do it with a travel blogger.

Brisbane taxi driver sacked after stoush with influencer

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-u ... 7c0ad1ad88

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:05 pm 

Sussex wrote:

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-u ... 7c0ad1ad88

he must have known the bloke was filming him so making threats of violence was the height of stupidity.

But on the other hand he did the trade a favour by making it easy for the licensing authorities to boot him out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:49 pm 

and a bit more context to the above in the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/dec/14/nsw-taxi-drivers-disciplined-overcharging-meter-2023-data

More than 520 taxi drivers in New South Wales have been disciplined for refusing to use their meters or overcharging, with authorities progressing more than 300 cases against just one operator in six months.

As the NSW taxi watchdog warns of an expected uptick in rogue behaviour from new taxi drivers entering the workforce, Guardian Australia can reveal the new taxi fare hotline has been flooded with thousands of complaints in its first six months.

The complaints data, provided to Guardian Australia after a months-long delay because some taxi operators opposed its release, shows that from the beginning of December 2022 to June 2023 the watchdog received 1,047 complaints with enough detail to identify drivers and refer the cases to operators to issue refunds and discipline drivers. These complaints to the NSW point to point transport commissioner relate to drivers not using their meters, overcharging customers, attempting to negotiate upfront fares and refusing shorter trips.

loads more but we get the gist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:41 pm 

Sussex wrote:

For 'influencer' or 'travel blogger' read elitist and narcissistic attention-seeking provocateur who does these things for clicks.

I'm not totally against the kind of stuff he's doing, but in my opinion he crossed the line when he walked out of the hotel and started filming the cab and put the boot down the film the plate etc. Why not just report the driver to the regulator and/or the despatch firm?

This report that appeared at about the same time is in a very similar vein, but is slightly more nuanced. However, another win for the cheats, and another passenger lost to the trade (and the driver here in some ways even worse than the one above, if you read to the end :-o )

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/12/27/cabbing ... te-it.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:37 pm 

Well this made me laugh. :lol: :lol:

Stuck driverless taxi asks bystanders to close its door

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/stuck-driverl ... 45835.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:28 pm 

Waymo driverless taxi hits bicyclist in San Francisco

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/art ... 652355.php

A Waymo driverless taxi struck a bicyclist in San Francisco on Tuesday afternoon, according to police and Waymo.

Around 3:02 p.m., officers were dispatched to the area of 17th and Mississippi streets after the crash was reported. The bicyclist suffered non–life-threatening injuries, police said.

A spokesperson with the San Francisco Fire Department said the bicyclist did not request to be transported to a local trauma center and paramedics agreed with the person’s decision that the injuries were not serious enough to warrant a hospital visit.

It was unclear how many people were passengers in the autonomous vehicle at the time of the crash but police said none of the occupants reported injuries. The cause of the collision is under investigation.

In a statement to the Chronicle, Waymo said the collision was the result of a large truck obstructing the bicyclist from the driverless taxi’s view.

“The Waymo vehicle was at a complete stop at a four-way intersection,” the company said. “An oncoming large truck progressed through the intersection in our direction and then, at our turn to proceed, we moved into the intersection. The cyclist was occluded by the truck and quickly followed behind it, crossing into the Waymo vehicle’s path. When they became unoccluded, our vehicle applied heavy braking but was not able to avoid the collision. Waymo notified the police to the scene and the cyclist left on their own, to our knowledge reporting only minor scratches. We are making contact with relevant authorities surrounding this event.”

In a social media post, San Francisco Supervisor Shamann Walton said a Waymo driverless taxi had hit the cyclist. “So much for safety,” Walton added. In a phone interview with the Chronicle, Walton said driverless taxis will never be completely safe.

“They (driverless taxis) don’t have the ability to maneuver in situations (of) crisis,” he said. “I’ve seen several studies that claims they’re safer than cars with human drivers. If you’re going to have a vehicle that is not operated by a human being but artificial intelligence, if it is not 100% safe it should not be on the road period.”

Walton said he defines 100% safe as “no accidents ever.”

“If you’re going to create something artificial and put it on our roads, it needs to work 100% better than human beings and that’s not the case,” he said.

Driverless taxi operations in San Francisco have been under fire after several incidents involving Waymo and Cruise vehicles. Cruise halted all driverless taxi trips after the fallout from the Oct. 2 crash that led the Department of Motor Vehicles to suspend its operations in California.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:49 pm 

Airport taxi drivers around the world: heroes or villains?

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 97852.html

“Thieves the world over,” said my Bosnian pal, Semir. I had just told him of my four-minute, £13 journey from Sarajevo airport in an airport taxi.

I had touched down from Luton and was heading for the Tunnel Museum. This sombre memorial to the 1992-95 siege of Sarajevo is on the opposite side of the runway from the terminal. The man in the airport information booth insisted: “It’s too far to walk. There is no bus. You must take a taxi.”

Local advice should be respected, I usually find. So I wandered out and took the taxi at the head of the queue. At such moments it is generally wise to enquire, “How much will it cost?” But such a question carries with it a faint but inevitable implication of mistrust. Knowing that Bosnia is a low-cost country, I left it unasked, even when I noted the absence of a meter.

Four minutes later, the driver demanded 30 KM (“convertible marks”, worth £13).

How much? In such a dispute, though, the driver always has the upper hand. I asked for a receipt, which I later showed to Semir.

“He’s charged you extra for luggage,” my friend laughed when he read it. My single piece of cabin baggage was so modest that Wizz Air had not charged me extra for luggage. That was when Semir made his sweeping generalisation about airport taxi drivers.

Normally I use public transport from airports. On the rare occasions I take taxis, most drivers are friendly and reasonable value. Naturally, I remember most strongly the pockets of extortion: US$20 (£16) between the terminals at Jeddah airport; €40 (£35) for 10-minute rides from Venice and Catania airports in Italy.

When I posted my Bosnian experience on social media, it became clear within minutes I was not alone. Among a litany of rip-offs involving “credit card machines not working” and circuitous routes to the destination, some locations appeared repeatedly in fellow travellers’ responses.

At Istanbul airport, says Charles Bristow: “I was absolutely done there. I consider myself worldly wise, but they schooled me.” Even when you are in the city, writes Anne Abrahams, “Istanbul taxis are a rip-off, don’t use the meter, and try to negotiate absurd fares. Uber is available.”

Italy features heavily: Michael Brooks says that from Naples airport he was “absolutely fleeced” and had his baggage held hostage before he paid up. Lear reports an experience in Rome: “Dropped off nowhere near hotel and money stolen! Hotel staff were horrified & always arranged taxis who were excellent.”

The airports at Portugal’s two biggest cities also linger in travellers’ memories. Lulabelle says: “I got charged €60 [£52] from Lisbon airport into town.” Even in heavy traffic it should be less than half. “Mr Ranty” says he was “stitched up for a 10-minute drive from Porto airport”. “Don’t use taxi drivers who are loitering by arrivals,” he recommends.

Aoin Douglas says: “Within the grounds of Marrakech airport it is impossible to get a ride into the Medina or new city (both five minutes away) for less than £30. If you walk a quarter of a mile to the roundabout at the airport entrance you can get a cab for £3.”

Taxi drivers who wait patiently to reach the head of the airport queue only to be asked for a nearby and unrewarding location can also take their revenge. Davie recounts his first arrival at Madrid airport, late at night, when there were many taxis and few customers. The driver took 15 minutes to reach his hotel and charged €30 (£26) for the privilege. Next morning, Davie discovered: “Our hotel was literally a 15-minute walk from the airport.”

Many travellers responded positively about airports where you pre-pay for the journey, or where prices to destinations are fixed and clearly marked. Those fixed prices, though, can be high by the time the airport has taken its cut. I arrived at Bristol airport after a flight from Glasgow to find the (also expensive) buses in disarray. The 20-minute journey into the city centre was priced at £40. Fortunately it did not take long to recruit three fellow arrivals to share the journey and reduce the fare to a more reasonable £10. “Cycling Womble 81” observes of the west of England hub: “It’s a captive market and they’re taking the proverbial.”

Taxis from railway stations can also prove tricky. Stephen Bailey says that taxis from Warsaw airports are well run, as are those within the city. But, he says: “Warsaw Central Station is basically managed by crooks. I speak the language but have kept quiet until they tell me the price. That’s surprised them.”

Talking of crooks, Mark Campbell reports an encounter at Mumbai airport. “The driver and his mafia mate tried to charge me an extra £15 from the domestic terminal to the international terminal. They even threatened to drop me in the middle of nowhere if I didn’t pay.” In the end, he negotiated the extra down to £5 and paid up “to avoid missing my flight”.

Threats are inexcusable; but theatre may earn forgiveness, as it did for Lee Ruscoe in San Jose, Costa Rica. New arrivals who ask to be taken to a bus terminal are evidently given an elaborate performance centering on the premise of an imminent four-day strike by bus workers.

Lee’s driver went to the extreme of asking him to hold up a directory of phone numbers. The driver pretended to call the bus station and ask the staff to hold the departure for Lee. “He seemed to be a hero, except he wanted £25 for a £2.50 ride. Weeks later I was still searching for any signs of bus and transport strikes. He got a smile, and a fiver out of me for his creative story and believable acting.”

Last word to Robert Boyle, who advises: “Beware the phrase ‘Is this your first time in…’ Always answer, ‘No’.”

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:18 pm 

Notorious taxi thief sentenced to 25 years imprisonment in hard labour

https://www.modernghana.com/news/129581 ... priso.html

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next