Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:48 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
So apparently a french airline made a mistake in filing a flight plan which caused the whole ATC system to fail. :shock:

I don't get that surely the system is robust enough to cope with a few wrong inputs ?

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:27 pm 

Doesn't matter how much validation you put in there will always be some clown (user) that manages to input something you didn't check for.

I used to write software. Years ago (late 1990's) I had a hotel that used some of my software. All of a sudden they started having some issues when doing their figures for the previous day. No updates to my software had been installed, it wasn't every day, and they weren't doing anything different. No other customer had the issue. After plenty of head scratching and trawling though data I found blocks of data that had commas in the figures instead of decimal points. Talking to the hotel owner they mentioned that they also had some issues with a couple of Excel spreadsheets having the same problem occurring.

Turned out that they had recently employed a French girl and at the start of each shift was changing the local setting of Windows to French and then changing it back when she finished. We use the decimal point to separate numbers (pounds and pence etc), the French use a comma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:31 pm 

edders23 wrote:
So apparently a french airline made a mistake in filing a flight plan which caused the whole ATC system to fail. :shock:

I don't get that surely the system is robust enough to cope with a few wrong inputs ?

Asked a mate of mine, who is an air traffic controller, what on earth happened.

He said he doesn't have a clue, but has other things to worry about as he is currently stuck in Florida. :lol: :lol: