Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:54 am 
Anonymous wrote:
(bye the way the land is not held in trust, there a big plc on it, it isnt a bloody charity)

its a hard nosed buisness document by Manchester City Council and Greater Manchester Council.

Geoff

I'll qualify what I meant about being held in trust.

On 1st April 1986 the Airport assets were transferred to the Company in exchange for shares. The land assets of the Airport are owned by Manchester City Council but they are held in trust for all of the districts, a position that was clarified in 1994. Although the Company was not formed by a Direction of the Secretary of State pursuant to Section 13 of the 1986 Act it is by definition a public airport company for the purposes of Section 16 of the 1986 Act.

good luck, ttfn.

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:50 am 
Anonymous wrote:
John Davies. wrote:
Yorkie wrote:

John,
Unforgivable walking out mid debate, ah well its been fun having you, its a wrench that you have gone.

one last point, Local Authorities do not provide taxi services, we do, so that clause cannot cover taxis.

Yes I am aware Councils can't supply taxis, It was meant to read, "their licenced Hackney carriages could be invited onto the Airport to ply for hire. Supplying a service was not meant to mean anything else.

Just before I go I would like to tell you that I had a long discussion yesterday with one of the directors about this very issue. It may not come as a surprise to hear that he didn't have a clue, "if it could or it couldn't happen" lol. However, he did agree with me that it could very well be "possible" he said what I expected him to say and that is, "it is a very interesting scenario and one that has never come up before but it would be one for the legal department to get their heads around". It is always going to be the case that the only people who can determine if it is possible is the legal department.

I suppose you know that The Manchester Airport group plc have bought several other regional Airports such as Bournemouth International Airport, East Midlands Airport, and Humberside International Airport.

It appears the only reference to Manchester Airport now will be by way of Manchester Airport Group plc and not Manchester Airport plc.

By the way, while I was looking through some of my archives here at home I came across a letter from 1993 which I wrote to the TOA lol I had to laugh, it said "The railways bill is currently making its way through both houses of parliament, it may not be too late at this stage to have it ammended in the Lords to read

"Where a public Hackney carriage stand exists on railway property only licenced vehicles may Ply for hire and such standing will be free of commercial charge"

I also went on to say that the National federation should pursue this important matter with all due haste.

I wasn't aware I had written that until I looked up that letter I sent to Manchester city council regarding the status of the roads and ranks at the Airport. By the way there were a lot more points raised in that letter which I never included in my last post, that post was actually condensed.

It Just goes to show what might have been if we could have got the 1993 Railways act ammended. Maybe theres an opportunity coming up in the new Aviation bill to get something done about plying for hire at public Utilities.

Any way good luck, I think thats my last post.

All the best

JD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:15 am 

Not sure I agree on the statement that the Council's hands are tied.

If operating under PSV licences, and you breach the rules of PSV operation, then yes, its not the Council to prosecute.

However, if operating as a taxi or PH car (less than 9 passengers) under a PSV licence, then you MUST be operating under the provisions of Section 265 of the Transport Act 2000.

If you are not operating under those provisions, then you are guilty of offences either under the Town Police Clauses Act or Local Government (Miscelanneous Provisions) Act 1976, and are not automatically guilty of offences under the Transport Acts, which are a different kettle of fish. Thus, irrespective of the fact that you might have the vehicle licensed as a PSV, the prosecution would be the responsibility of the Council, and NOT the Traffic Commissioners.

I do believe however, that TaxiBus do not operate less than 9 seaters as PSVs as a major part of their business at Manchester.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:41 pm 

Andy,
Thanks for your input. My earlier post shows that the whole area needs a good looking at. They seem to be dodging licensing regs by being all things to all people. My main concern is that the officers are not conversant with their duties and are only to eager to wash their hands, hiding behind "its got nothing to do with us".
I did ask what they would do to an out of town car plying for hire and did not get an answer, our only hope is that one of these days they will decide that they are taking the mickey and decide to act.
We have something in the pipeline and will know soon whether we put up with them or see, if not their demise, a curb on their activities.
The heartening thing about all of this is that we have a loyal passenger core that would not use them, and obviously I am not privy to their books but Mr M is using an awful lot of his own money to remain in situ.
Ged