Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:08 pm 
Cab licence for sex pest

A JUDGE has demanded an inquiry into how a convicted child molester was granted a licence to drive a black cab.

Nadeem Sultan, 31, admitted two sex offences when he applied and was granted the licence despite his record.

Manchester city council said it was following a government suggestion that people convicted of serious sex crimes, grievous bodily harm, wounding, drug offences and even drink-driving should be considered for a licence as little as three years later.

Mr Sultan's past came to light when he was charged with sexually assaulting a 20-year-old woman he had picked up outside a hospital.

He was acquitted of the charge at Manchester Crown Court yesterday, but Judge Anthony Ensor insisted on a full explanation of how a man with such a record could be granted a licence.

The woman claimed she got into his taxi "because black cabs are more reliable and safer". The jury did not know he had convictions for kerb-crawling in 1994 and, the following year, for indecently assaulting a girl under the age of 14.

Judge Ensor said: "It is extraordinary that a person convicted of indecent assault for which he was sentenced to four months' imprisonment should be granted a taxi licence.

"I am very concerned and the court will be writing to the licensing authority at Manchester City Council asking for a report."

Mr Sultan, from Withington, thanked the jury as he left the court in tears.

He added: "I have not done anything for eight years. I have a good record." He had made an application successfully for the taxi licence five years ago but it was suspended when he was arrested last August and it has since lapsed, although he has re-applied.

A council official said Mr Sultan's first application for a black cab licence, in April 2000, was referred to a committee of councillors because of his previous convictions.

"The committee considers all cases on their merits and in reaching a decision to grant his licence followed guidelines issued by the Home Office. Nadeem Sultan's licence was suspended due to the charges brought against him. He is currently not licensed to drive a taxi. Mr Sultan has re-applied for a hackney carriage licence and the committee will consider his application in due course."

The "guidelines" used are in a Home Office circular sent to all councils and leading policemen in March 1992. The document deals with how local authorities should check criminal records of people applying to drive taxis. It was based on the then policies of the Metropolitan police.

Under "indecency offences" it says: "As hackney carriage drivers and private hire vehicle drivers often carry unaccompanied passengers, applicants with convictions for indecent exposure, indecent assault, importuning or any of the more serious sexual offences should be refused until they can show a substantial period (at least three to five years) free of such offences.

"More than one conviction of this kind should preclude consideration for at least five years. In either case, if a licence is granted, a strict warning as to future conduct should be issued."

Three years is also the recommended minimum for GBH, wounding, assault and drug convictions - unless the would-be driver was an addict, in which case he should wait five years after detox has finished. People convicted of drink-driving must wait at least three years after they get their licence back.

The Home Office pointed out that the circular explicitly said each council should adopt its own guidelines and that the Met's policy was "an example only".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:19 pm 
He wants shooting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:57 pm 
I think Manchester City do have a point, the guidelines say what they say they say.

but you see a whole trade has now been blackened by what has happened.

bet he does not get his next application through!

incidentally the rules have changed since this mans conviction, and he will now be on the sex offenders register, not sure it existed prior to his former conviction.

and the judge, Sussex, wearing victorian costume?

a blast from the past.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:22 pm 

I have posted the story in the News section. I have never seen so much anger when the story emerged at lunchtime today amongst our drivers.
To be fair the Asian drivers were badly shaken as well after all they said it reflects badly on them. One even commented wryly that he had three wives so he must have huge sexual drive!!!
I really think that a City like Manchester with the massive influx at weekends have shot themselves in the foot and at the same time done us a massive disservice.
Ged

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:38 pm 

Ged, I'm afraid this is yet more evidence of the PC brigade taking over.

A sex offender, is a sex offender, and nothing else. They should not be let anywhere near a cab or a PH, but alas some are. :( :( :( :(

Your local trade will suffer slightly in the short-term, but thankfully not in the long-term.

Not much more I can say. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:42 pm 
gedmay wrote:
I have posted the story in the News section. I have never seen so much anger when the story emerged at lunchtime today amongst our drivers.
To be fair the Asian drivers were badly shaken as well after all they said it reflects badly on them. One even commented wryly that he had three wives so he must have huge sexual drive!!!
I really think that a City like Manchester with the massive influx at weekends have shot themselves in the foot and at the same time done us a massive disservice.
Ged

Ged,
why dont you seek a meeting with the council to discuss the principles of the case?

newspapers can be very emotive, and I know that your trade has been tainted.

now is the time to put your views on record and publicise your anger as well, though please dont be too judgemental on a council making a tough decision.

Ged try to understand how the decision was made, but cool down a little first.

remember this driver let you all down, very badly and in all sorts of decisions in the future you will all suffer.

I am very sorry the lady concerned shouldered such a heavy price.

Geoff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:59 pm 

Just heard today that this character has been working weekends. obviously not challenged because nobody knew about the case. I am going to do my best to find out which company insures the cab and take it from there.
If the council use the same benchmark to decide on his suitability I would assume that he WILL get his brief back because he was found not guilty. To that end, that is why I want to demonstrate he has been working illegally to give them the opportunity to deny his application.
Ged
Ps Have a good Easter everybody

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:30 pm 
I dont think he will be back for a while.
But all the asian lads will be assumed to be him and alas suffer. :(