Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:20 pm 

Tom Thumb wrote:
Too long SM. But the delayed is built into the price.

Which is I believe called good business? :wink:

I can never understand why HC or PH firms get into financial trouble. There are Factoring Companies (I'm led to believe) that love lending to HC and PH firms, with large out standing debts from councils and other big institutions.

So if they take ages to pay, put an extra 10% on the fare, and factor it out.

Or have I missed something? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:40 pm 

Yes Andy, the other 10%.

Put 20% on it, and THEN factor it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:01 am 

Sussex Man wrote:

I can never understand why HC or PH firms get into financial trouble. There are Factoring Companies (I'm led to believe) that love lending to HC and PH firms, with large out standing debts from councils and other big institutions.

Yes, factoring can help improve cashflow, but not other 'financial trouble', such as lack of profitability (!)

Dusty :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:01 am 
Taxibank definately caught a cold on the East Coast line.
Now the ranks are run by drivers, not office boys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:26 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Taxibank definately caught a cold on the East Coast line.
Now the ranks are run by drivers, not office boys.

Didn't they just :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:59 am 
Are we not witnessing a wee bit of double standards here, as well as giving out false information.

Is a licensed P/H company different in one part of the country any different to another when it comes to abusing drivers by charging them ever incresing fee's, even though they take on more drivers to increase their ever incresing profits, as well as taking their eye's out at any oppertunity.

Also, ANY contract that is tendered out will ONLY see sub-contractors or employee's carrying out the duties of that contract. ANY firm that claims that they will allow ANYONE to work areas they have tendered for are telling lies, what they mean't in this case was that anyone was welcome to join this firm and pay their weekly charges in order to carry out work within the tendered area.

A H/C should have the right to enter, wait and pick up from ANY area the public have access to. This is not a right for ANY P/H vehicle so any business conducted by them in such a situation would be un-lawful.

B. Lucky

BTW, who writes the stories for the homepage, it may be a good idea to include such information. How else can the information contained and published by yourselves be properly quoted and sourced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:36 am 

Mick wrote:
Are we not witnessing a wee bit of double standards here, as well as giving out false information.

Is a licensed P/H company different in one part of the country any different to another when it comes to abusing drivers by charging them ever incresing fee's, even though they take on more drivers to increase their ever incresing profits, as well as taking their eye's out at any opportunity.

A bad PH company up north, is no different than a bad PH company down south. No double standards there.

However a bad T&G driver written about in Cab Trade News, is (according to that rag) fit and proper, whilst all minicabs who flout the law are scum (according to previous editions).

Now that is double standards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:37 am 

Mick wrote:
BTW, who writes the stories for the homepage, it may be a good idea to include such information. How else can the information contained and published by yourselves be properly quoted and sourced.

You can believe it or not, I couldn't care less.

If it's wrong, then tell us why and where.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:45 am 
TDO has been contacted by someone who wishes to pass a warning onto operators dealing with Taxibank.

That person has asked that the following post be published on TDO, with there personal details blanked out.

Hi
Just some information regarding taxibank.
We was approached by them * years ago and asked to cover the ********************** for them ( ********************)
They were giving us on average 1 job every couple of weeks, they were mostly RAC related jobs and in theory good quality bookings. Mainly people who needed to get home after there car had broken down. We took the decision to stop accepting bookings off them sometime this year after serious delays with payment. The last straw cam when we had invoices that were 4 months old. We were being told the same think every time we chased payment, ' that invoice was missed off the last payroll - it will be on the next one ! ' etc
After many phone calls over a 3 week period we eventually got the outstanding amount down to approx £ 80.00.
I was then told by the managing director that they literally did not have the money in the bank until the following week!!
Next time they call you - ask yourself a couple of questions.
' Should you go to the trouble of taking a booking of a company that will take so long to pay the invoice ?'
' How much credit should you give to a company that can't write you a cheque for £80 ?'

I would like to pass this cautionary tale on please. I would appreciate it if you could post this with out my name/details.

TDO has no reason to believe this poster is wrong, but if anyone from Taxibank would like to come on TDO and put their side, we would be only too pleased to accommodate them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:16 pm 

Mick wrote:
Is a licensed P/H company different in one part of the country any different to another when it comes to abusing drivers by charging them ever incresing fee's, even though they take on more drivers to increase their ever incresing profits, as well as taking their eye's out at any oppertunity.

Yes Mick, people just tend to do with what the market allows them to get away with, and people tend not to be too charitable in such situations.

The problem is that in many areas it's too easy to get a badge (particularly PH) and as a consequence drivers are exploited by offices and the like.

Well in fact it's maybe wrong to say that they're exploited by the offices, because they offices just do what the market will stand, so it's the market that's exploiting the drivers.

It's the same with HC plates, they tend to be sold at the market rate, not at a rate that could look charitable as regards the purchaser.

Then those who buy plates and hire a pile of drivers to work the car just take their share at the market rate, just like the 'exploitative' PH office.

Of course, many HC offices are just as bad as PH offices - this is particularly the case when people like yourself persist in denying people the opportunity to escape from the office scenario.

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:27 pm 

Mick wrote:

Just like any other form of publication where the author isn't named (like much of the stuff in the paper taxi publications) if a source is required then just use the name of the publication.

Eg in Cab Trade News, since there's no name to the leader column you could use (for example):

Comment, Cab Trade News, September/October 2003.

For anything on here you could use, for example:

Recruitment crisis?, Taxi Driver Online, 23 October 2003.

Of course, since the source is only available online it might be best to include the URL:

Recruitment crisis?, Taxi Driver Online, 23 October 2003.
http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/minicab.htm

The type of citation above is probably a bit formal for most purposes, but you'll get the idea.

Anyone has any legal or similar problems, just e-mail us or get your legal representative to do so.

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:32 pm 

By the way, if anyone thinks there are any factual inaccuracies in anything then just e-mail us and we'll be pleased to consider your point.

If your opinion differs, then that's what the forum's for.

We've tried to encourage people to express an opinion by linking from the articles to the relevant forum thread, and by allowing anyone to read and post on the forums without having to register, and to do both anonymously if the contributor so wishes.

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:23 pm 
Micks biggest gripe is that he fully intended to do news stories the links the lot and never got round to it.

he was to busy trying to think for everybody else and be objectionable.

it must be gauling to see this go from strength to strength, and watching taxiforums too building up.

Remember when he first saw this? first time I have seen a fit online!

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:24 pm 
Wharfie you are stirring again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:27 am 
Tom Thumb wrote:
Wharfie you are stirring again.

sorry Tom I couldnt resist my fingures and feet were twitching, an open goal.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wharfie

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next