Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:01 pm 

Hi Guys,

I am a private hire driver in Plymouth. I want to move to probably Bristol. Will I have to go through everything again? eg. knowledge, driving test etc.
Thanks for replies.
Jake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:09 am 
probably, nothing about your status in Plymouth is binding on councils elsewhere.

you might even need a knowledge test, and even laws you abided by in Plymouths interpretation may be interpretated entirely different elsewhere

but a phone call to Bristol will tell you exactly what you are up against, a taxi driver might be good in plymouth but a disaster in Bristol.

I say take great care, Clive Woodward thinks you can walk out on rugby into soccer, if me and Sussex swopped places tomorow we would both be lost within an hour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:01 am 
Jake

Almost certain to be different licensing. Different cost and new test, Our guest has a valid point, It may be worth going there for the day and doing some research.

I have seen some really feirce competition in some areas, in the country, where for example the min fare for ph is only £2.50. where in contrast other area's have a minimum of more than double that. It would appear to be related to how many hacks there are, as well as the location.

Some area's like where I live for example. there are no ph, operators do not want them, don't know why, I always worked in London myself, which is all PH unless you drive a black cab.

Might be worth going on to yell. com also and finding some operators and ringing around and asking questions. It would be much better though if you could get it straight from a driver.

All the best, in whatever you do, just bear in mind there is a recession on its way. and it will be a bad one this time, that is likley to last for a long time.

Take care

Lynda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:15 am 
hell Lynda whos given you the crystal ball reading?

Jesus now Iam worried anyone wanna taxi firm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:22 am 
You current CRB should suffice, but that's in the real world, not the taxi/PH one.

But everything else you will have to change. :sad:

I would see who the biggest PH firms in Bristol are, and see if they have a school.

However I think Bristol is one big s***hole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:29 am 
Quote:
However I think Bristol is one big s***hole.

Thats being kind to Bristol.

Post subject: not a crystal ball
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:31 am 
Hi

CRB will most certainly have to be reapplied for. A friend of mine changed from one borough to another after only three months. He did this because he went into partnership with someone in a different area.

This was one of the things he complained about, they would not let him use his old crb even though it was only applied for three months earlier.

With regards to the crystal ball. It is my age I am afraid, lived and worked through the last recession, and the one before.

Historically every ten years we will have one, one severe and then one less severe. It quite simply is time for the more severe one.

And all the signs are there. Albeit this one is a little late.

Good businesses thrive in recession as there is a glut of drivers. How much do you want for your your taxi company then?

Lynda

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:55 pm 

jake wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am a private hire driver in Plymouth. I want to move to probably Bristol. Will I have to go through everything again? eg. knowledge, driving test etc.
Thanks for replies.
Jake

Hi Jake,

I know you've not been doing it long so Your CRB and paperwork will be fine.

The PHV Rules and Regs in Bristol are totally different to the one we have in Plymouth. You'll have to talk to either or both Bristol Council or a PH company to see What sort of standards they have in place for their PH drivers and how much of a knowledge test they do.

You could alway move to Bristol and still work in Plymouth! Theres a bloke on the Taxifast fleet who lives in St. Austell and drive to Plymouth everyday to work.

i dont know if it has changed in the last 5 years, but i stayed in Bristol for a while and everybody said the dome top taxis where rip off merchants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:46 pm 

Thanks for the replies everyone. Just had an agreed buyer for my house and just got to wait now until it all goes through and the moneys in the bin.
Thanks
jake

Post subject: Re: not a crystal ball
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:11 pm 
lynda wrote:
Hi

CRB will most certainly have to be reapplied for. A friend of mine changed from one borough to another after only three months. He did this because he went into partnership with someone in a different area.

This was one of the things he complained about, they would not let him use his old crb even though it was only applied for three months earlier.

With regards to the crystal ball. It is my age I am afraid, lived and worked through the last recession, and the one before.

Historically every ten years we will have one, one severe and then one less severe. It quite simply is time for the more severe one.

And all the signs are there. Albeit this one is a little late.

Good businesses thrive in recession as there is a glut of drivers. How much do you want for your your taxi company then?

Lynda

I was not serious we do thrive in downturns but if I said so on here you can imagine the response

not just more drivers but rolling stock comes cheaper, people get rid of surplus cars so bit more trade.

250 were made redundant at a local mill on friday, shop sales down interest rates up, but 12 months from a general election says no recession for 9 months.

Geoff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:31 pm 

PS.

I had an 83 year old lady in the car the other day and she told me this one:

2 old boys, Bill and Burt were talking about football. Bill says, "I wonder if they play football in heaven", Burt says, "well the first one of us to pop off, somehow get a message to the other and let them know"
Time went on and after a few months Burt died. A few weeks later Bill heard a voice in the sky, "Bill, it's Burt, I got the answer to the football question, but there's good news and bad news". "Ok Burt, whats the good news". Burt say's, "they do play football in heaven". "Well what's the bad news", say's Bill. Burt say's, "you are booked to play on Saturday"

Probably an oldie, but you get to have a good laugh in this job sometimes.
jake