Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Misrepresentation
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:05 pm 

This is a typical example of the kind of misrepresentation that has made the forum so tiresome at times. This could be one of hundreds or even thousands of examples, but the following is two little points that might in fact sound at first glance as if they merely repeat what has been said elsewhere, but in fact fundamentally misrepresent what was said.

It was claimed:

and the relevation last night that the authour of myth and reality spends over 2 hours on ranks between jobs then firther that this is normal throughout the uk is evidence being grasped upon.

As regards the amount of time spent on jobs, what I actually said was:

Tonight I waited about two hours for a fare at one of our ranks...

Clearly this does not say that I spend two hours on ranks between jobs, just that on a particular night I did on one occassion, and this was said in the context of proposals to penalise drivers who leave their engine running for long periods while stationery.

How long I may wait for a fare more typically (which seems to be the scenario that the author was describing) I did not say, and the author can't tell from what I wrote.

As for the the claim that I thought this normal throughout the UK, what I actually said was that the fact that the author kept on harping on about the fact that I had waited two hours on a taxi rank demonstrated his lack of knowledge of the UK trade.

What I clearly didn't say was that this was normal throughout the UK - my point was that the author's apparent incredulity at this seemed to demonstrate that he did not think that this could happen in the UK, whereas anyone will know that waiting two hours on a rank is quite plausible.

Indeed, in the next paragraph, in a tongue in cheek allusion to something concering the author, I made it fairly obvious that waiting two hours did not happen throughout the UK:

But at least it was my own rank, I could go elsewhere to ply and the two hour waits would be over.

And as for the authors claim that this was 'evidence being grasped upon', then this is nonsense, but if anyone is using this as evidence for anything, then clearly they are lacking in judgement and incapable of any credible assessment of evidence.

Of course, even if I had clarified this when the point was made initially, this would have been ignored, and the whole myth continually perpetuated.

Hopefully we can now move away from that kind of thing.

Post subject: Re: Misrepresentation
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:45 pm 
TDO wrote:
Hopefully we can now move away from that kind of thing.

For what its worth i love this forum. :oops:
Which is perhaps why the yorkie chap didnt get on with me. :shock:
But he did tell some whoppers. :D

Post subject: Re: Misrepresentation
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:03 pm 

Cgull wrote:
Which is perhaps why the yorkie chap didnt get on with me. :shock:

I think he had his moments with most people. :-$

In truth he is not a bad lad, but it would have been nice if he opened his eyes and saw the truth, instead of keep on repeating other peoples lies. :sad: