Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Membership numbers
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:47 pm 

Amidst the stream of rubbish posted about TDO on other forums, there is one interesting point, which although as usual totally misrepresents things, is in fact worth saying a word or two about:

"One thing I do find stange is that is boasts a huge membership yet you only see the same few members posting, and now that there are so little left new names are popping up? Are these real, I bet not "

TDO has 330 members and almost 25,000 messages. Admittedly, only a minority of members have ever posted, and an even smaller proportion could be called 'active'.

The first similar forum, TTFUK, had the best part of 1,000 members, but only around 5,000 posts when it was pulled. It never had any more active members than we've had, so if the above criticism is valid for us, then it's even more so for TTFUK.

The next one, TPH or TTF2, had a similar membership to us, but a lot less than 5,000 posts.

One reason for the large membersip figures on TTFUK was that it was join-to-view, and this also explains why there were so many members but only similar active poster numbers as on here. I'm quite sure that if our forum was join-to-view then our membership figures would be well over a thousand, if not several thousand.

Another current forum has almost 700 members but around 500 posts. That equates to less than one post per member, while TDO has around 75 posts per member on average.

So if our forum has some 'strange' figures, then the other forums' numbers must be considered unbelievable by our critic.

The fact is that thousands of people have visited these sites, but in the case of the other forums the vast majority have clearly just registered and never posted, while on here it's similar but we have less members because anyone can view the forum without registering.

Of course, these selfsame people slagging our figures have current forums themselves, but the stats on them aren't even worth mentioning.

So with regard to membership numbers and active posters no other forum is in a position to criticise us. Indeed, if anyone should be criticising and belittling other forums in this regard then it should be us.

But we don't, so why do they do it to us?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:12 pm 

perhaps some of the 'sleeper' members will now start posting again. now that certain ex-members are not here to be-little and shoot down new posters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:17 pm 

Here's hoping Steveo :D

Post subject: Re: Membership numbers
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:51 pm 

TDO wrote:
But we don't, so why do they do it to us?

Because they have nothing of substance to say about this trade, other than what happens on here. :wink:

Post subject: Re: Membership numbers
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:21 pm 
Sussex wrote:
Because they have nothing of substance to say about this trade, other than what happens on here. :wink:

All they talk about is TDO and TDO.
How sad is that? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:44 pm 

From what I here there has never been much traffic on any of the Taxi forums south of the Border, apart from TDO.

I understand that practically 50% of all posts on the forum set up by the individuals who were hell bent on causing disruption to TDO are about members of this site. It is a sad state of affairs when grown men can't go through the day without constantly having to remind themselves how much they despise somebody else?

It proves what childish individuals these people really are.

Everyone can see that their moronic behaviour of continually re-registering on TDO after they have been banned and for no other reason then to cause as much disruption as possible. I see we have another sleeper who thinks TDO doesn't know who he is. I really can't understand these people and to think some of them hold or used to hold prominent positions in local and national Taxi organisations.

Rather than ridicule them I find myself pitying them.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:03 pm 

JD wrote:
From what I here there has never been much traffic on any of the Taxi forums south of the Border, apart from TDO.

It is a shame that a certain other forum does nothing bar talk about the goings on on TDO. But if that keeps them happy, then good luck to them.

Personally I would love to see the ex-members back on here, but we all know that's not going to happen. If they had realized early on that Nigel's wild goose was in fact a scraggy old crow, then they wouldn't have to eat so much humble pie.

But I suspect they have learnt a lesson, and that's not to believe something, and spread false-hoods, until they get their facts right.

As JD says, the fact that some are in prominent positions in the trade is a sad reflection on us all. :sad:

Alex

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:04 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I am a member of a number of forums (hobby related) and in all cases there is usually a core of keen posters with a few occassional posters and half or more of the membership made up of lurkers. perhaps if every active member advertised the forum to other taxi drivers in their area the membership and volume of posts could increase.

One of the best ways to get members up and running is to have a section of the forum devoted to non subject matters in which the sillier side of life can be explored on one forum i am on there are threads running to over a hundred pages of just drivel but it's fun and gets people posting