Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:51 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Quote:
Are you asking is it within the law for a licensing authority to draw the attention of a particular case to the press? Or are you asking is it in the public interest?

Neither JD

Just wanted an opinion

I suppose the press writing anything prior to a council meeting could be consider prejudicial, its one thing writing an article on what a committee are to consider, quite another to give an opinion.

Captain Cab

I don't know to what instance you refer but obviously it is reality and not hypothetical. Offering views and opinion either before or after a committee meeting is not against the law. Indeed journalistic opinions are offered all the time on a variety of subjects including political meetings either before or after the fact. Second-guessing what a committee might do whether it be at local or national level is a sport journalists and commentators have enjoyed for centuries.

It brings us back to the chestnut of what is legal and what is not? I think you need to draw the distinction of what is legal and what isn't. It is no use saying that if it is not in the public interest it shouldn't be printed. The fact is that most things can be printed but it is up to you to try and convince a council that it should only be published if it is in the public interest?

Obviously your starting point should be with the council and you should ask them to consider that "personal information of license holders should remain personal, until such time the council deems such information relevant to public interest?

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:53 pm 

Quote:
I suspect it's a bit like when a suspect is charged with an offence, in which case only the person's name and address and the charge can be published, and this prevents prejudicing a fair trial.

I remember when the Yorkshire Ripper was charged, and suddenly the words 'Yorkshire Ripper' (which were never off the airwaves at the time) disappeared and instead it was merely reported that Peter Sutcliffe had been charged in relation to the murders. To call him the YR or even use that phrase in relation to reporting the matter would clearly have been prejudicial to a fair trial.

Thanks TDO

Another example would be a recent case up here where a driver was wanting a rule changed allowing any color of WAV (non purpose built).

The press got hold of the agenda to the meeting and ran a story in the press.

Would the story have put undue pressure on the councillors making the decision?

Captain Cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:06 am 

captain cab wrote:
Quote:
I suspect it's a bit like when a suspect is charged with an offence, in which case only the person's name and address and the charge can be published, and this prevents prejudicing a fair trial.

I remember when the Yorkshire Ripper was charged, and suddenly the words 'Yorkshire Ripper' (which were never off the airwaves at the time) disappeared and instead it was merely reported that Peter Sutcliffe had been charged in relation to the murders. To call him the YR or even use that phrase in relation to reporting the matter would clearly have been prejudicial to a fair trial.

Thanks TDO

Another example would be a recent case up here where a driver was wanting a rule changed allowing any color of WAV (non purpose built).

The press got hold of the agenda to the meeting and ran a story in the press.

Captain Cab

In theory Councillors can only make decisions which are reasonable and based on sound factual information. However we all know that many decisions are based on the political agenda of the ruling party. A pro or anti article written in the press may have an effect on some councillors or indeed all but at the end of the day their judgement is not supposed to be prejudiced in any way. Therefore a councillor should be able to set aside his prejudices and act in accordance with his conscience and the information he has before him.

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:49 am 

captain cab wrote:

I suspect there's a difference between policy decisions (eg vehicle colour) and "quasi-judicial" proceedings where a person's livelihood could be at stake.

I mean, if you take the recent Renfrewshire case against the driver who made racial remarks, then clearly the case against the driver was made public via the council's published agenda for the meeting, and was also reported in the press. However, I suspect the report was in the main just a rehash of what the council published, since expressing any kind of opinion might have prejudiced a fair hearing. (Note also that the driver's name was never used).

As for policy decisions, I think that prior debate and opinions are all part of the process of a healthy democracy, and the more the better. Councillors could well be prejudiced by party political or personal considerations, but of course in theory this shouldn't happen, but on the other hand it's difficult to prove, unless a smoking gun like a wodge of notes in a brown envelope is found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:35 pm 

And a certain case in Luton earlier this week where hearsay evidence was overturned?

Captain Cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:05 am 

Pardon? :-s

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:13 am 

Quote:
Pardon?

I'm trying to get details

Captain Cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:20 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Quote:
Pardon?

I'm trying to get details

Captain Cab

I would like to see this one :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:14 am 

Its a pointless argument, the "skull" is a liar, Capt is a tr.ansvestite, jd is a terrorist, sussex is a child molestor..how do I know all this...cause I heard it from someone, the case with that bunny boiler was someting completely differant, it has no relavence on your average forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:27 am 

jackcab wrote:
Its a pointless argument, the "skull" is a liar, Capt is a tr.ansvestite, jd is a terrorist, sussex is a child molestor..how do I know all this...cause I heard it from someone, the case with that bunny boiler was someting completely differant, it has no relavence on your average forum.

Sh** I believe you :wink: