Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Forum Abuse
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:43 pm 

I have just re- read your forum rules, but note that despite Ali Turnbull's most recent outburst of profanities and other sad comments, no action, other than locking the topic, appears to have been taken to stop him. It is a sad indictment of this site that the administrators and other prolific contributors seem to side with the likes of Turnbull; even supporting them in their quest to destroy the taxi trade. You are, or should be, well aware that the vast majority of decent people, never mind cabbies, would at least distance themselves from, or attempt to put an end to, the continual personal tirades against others, but you choose not to.
Perhaps you could explain why you allow such abuse to continue unchecked?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:37 pm 

Clearly unlike you we can't be reading our forum 24/7 (since we have cabs to drive as well) so things can't always be dealt with immediately. And since administration is a joint effort we have to discuss these matters and this isn't always easy in view of the aforementioned point. I believe the topic was locked as a holding measure and as far as I know we've had no complaints from any of the protagonists.

Yes, some of what's said isn't too nice, but it's coming from both sides, and at least we give both sides a chance to have their say, but of course you banned the 'other side' from your own forum.

Moreover, given your own conduct over the private messages and the Salteri document I think it's a bit late to come over all holier-than-thou? And even your local press seems to take a dim view of your own ethical stance [-X

But your comment about siding with those out to 'destroy' the trade says it all - what you mean is destroying exploitation and a grossly distored market, and in turn promoting equality and choice for all drivers.

Thus your stance on these matters presumably has more to do with the substantive taxi issues than the forum conduct posited in your message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:02 pm 

I have no idea what the circumstances are around this post so therefore i cant and wont comment, however TDO, bareing in mind what you have stated about being busy and running cabs also, which is obviously your first priority and so it should be, have you ever considered having Moderators as i see the forum has none and this might help to aleviate the situation. Obviously they have to be totally unbiased, wether this is achievable or not is another matter. Just trying to help out and see it from an outsiders point of view.

Loads a love from BERTIE !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:13 pm 

Yes, you've got the job. :D

The problem is that moderation often just inflames the situation even more, so to that extent we've taken more of a hands-off approach and merely used the automatic word censor to edit out some of the more unpalatable profanities or acted only when a specific complaint has been received.

And unfortunately in the trade the arguments usually come down to either taxi/PH or whichever side is taken on the restricted numbers situation, so even though I think I'm pretty even-handed, I don't think any of the regular protagonists on here really trusts anyone else to act in an unbiased manner.

But given that you're from the limo side of the trade and presumably have no real axe to grind with respect to the taxi/PH trade, then perhaps you would consider acting as moderator? It would have to be cleared with Alex first, but I can't see that it would do any harm.

Of course, if someone posted an anti-limo diatribe and you did something about it then you would be accused of bias :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:23 pm 

Ah i see your point and where your coming from, as for the limo jibes i think you can see from some of my posts on here that im shall we say broad shouldered and know how to show some maturity and everyone is allowed their opinion, its how they express that opinion which counts. My only axe to grind is with authorities that dont have a clue what they are talking about, but even then there is clearly a right and wrong response to these people and this i believe is where a good moderator is indeed needed.

Personally in the main i think most of the folks on here are very good towards us limo ops and now have a better understanding of what we represent and the hassles we have trying to stick to the laws, and this is indeed a credit to the taxi industry.

Anyway just some food for though for you as in general this site is both informative and helpful most of the time :lol: :lol: :lol:

Loads a love from BERTIE !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:49 pm 

I think if anyone has a complaint about anything posted on here then they should contact Dusty or me direct, either via an e-mail or a PM.

The thread was locked not just because some of the lads were having a slight ding-dong, but also because long threads often get lost in themselves. If you know what I mean. :-k

And there it would have stayed until someone brings it all up again in another thread. Maybe that's all he wanted.

Who knows? :roll:

Alex

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:22 am 

TDO wrote:
Clearly unlike you we can't be reading our forum 24/7 (since we have cabs to drive as well) so things can't always be dealt with immediately. And since administration is a joint effort we have to discuss these matters and this isn't always easy in view of the aforementioned point. I believe the topic was locked as a holding measure and as far as I know we've had no complaints from any of the protagonists.

Yes, some of what's said isn't too nice, but it's coming from both sides, and at least we give both sides a chance to have their say, but of course you banned the 'other side' from your own forum.

Moreover, given your own conduct over the private messages and the Salteri document I think it's a bit late to come over all holier-than-thou? And even your local press seems to take a dim view of your own ethical stance [-X

But your comment about siding with those out to 'destroy' the trade says it all - what you mean is destroying exploitation and a grossly distored market, and in turn promoting equality and choice for all drivers.

Thus your stance on these matters presumably has more to do with the substantive taxi issues than the forum conduct posited in your message.

Totally irrelevant.
1. My banning of the "other side" as you put it was NOT down to their views, but down to the abuse they dished out. You condone this abuse, apparently.
2. You well know that any allegations about private messages and Salteri are mere gossip and rumour based on little more than ignorance of how the internet works. JD has since proved himself to be a liar.
3. "Holier than thou?" Bollox. The comment I refer to should have been deleted and all reference to it removed; or have you no sense of decency?
4. My comments were made in response to what can only be described as disgusting remarks made by an individual who abides by no moral code and by his remark has shown himself to be amongst those who are so ignorant that they still attach stigma to certain illnesses. And you apparently would rather attack my motives than remove disgusting comment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:20 am 

alan G wrote:
And you apparently would rather attack my motives than remove disgusting comment.

Sounds good to me, and I second anyone attacking your motives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:36 pm 

alan G wrote:
1. My banning of the "other side" as you put it was NOT down to their views, but down to the abuse they dished out. You condone this abuse, apparently.

If you bothered to read the posts you would see that the abuse is pretty much a two-way process. And I don't condone it.

Quote:
2. You well know that any allegations about private messages and Salteri are mere gossip and rumour based on little more than ignorance of how the internet works. JD has since proved himself to be a liar.

If you say these things often enough I suspect you'll start to believe them yourself.

Quote:
3. "Holier than thou?" Bollox. The comment I refer to should have been deleted and all reference to it removed; or have you no sense of decency?

I don't read every post on here, especially those pertaining to the minutiae of local trades, but we've received no complaints regarding a specific post, so perhaps you could be more specific?

In any case, whatever was said must pale into significance as compared to the stuff coming in the opposite direction. Have you read Captain Cab's forum lately, for example? No wonder they had to close it to the public gaze.

Quote:
4. My comments were made in response to what can only be described as disgusting remarks made by an individual who abides by no moral code and by his remark has shown himself to be amongst those who are so ignorant that they still attach stigma to certain illnesses. And you apparently would rather attack my motives than remove disgusting comment

As I said, whatever it is precisely that you object to, we've had no specific complaint, and it surely pales into significance compared to the bile and vitriol going in the other direction.

Have you complained about any of that? I doubt it, because your stance is largely a proxy for the substantive taxi matters, and you're a grade A hypocrite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:17 pm 

TDO wrote:

As I said, whatever it is precisely that you object to, we've had no specific complaint, and it surely pales into significance compared to the bile and vitriol going in the other direction.

Have you complained about any of that? I doubt it, because your stance is largely a proxy for the substantive taxi matters, and you're a grade A hypocrite.

I'll second that, we need a third mover to make it official? lol

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:26 pm 

JD wrote:
I'll second that, we need a third mover to make it official? lol

Oh go on then. :lol: :lol: