Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:28 pm 

Guidance to local authorities and taxi and PHV operators on sections of the Equality Act which are being commenced in October 2010.

Advice for licensing authorities

Advice for drivers and operators

Alex

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:29 pm 

If a driver can be exempt as stated below why would they need a WAV anyway?

Quote:
Exemptions from the duties - Section 166 allows licensing authorities to exempt drivers from the duties to assist passengers in wheelchairs if they are satisfied that it is appropriate to do so on medical grounds or because the driver’s physical condition makes it impossible or unreasonably difficult for him or her to comply with the duties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:34 pm 

toots wrote:

Quote:
Exemptions from the duties - Section 166 allows licensing authorities to exempt drivers from the duties to assist passengers in wheelchairs if they are satisfied that it is appropriate to do so on medical grounds or because the driver’s physical condition makes it impossible or unreasonably difficult for him or her to comply with the duties.

Maybe thats the only vehicle the LA license?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:35 pm 

1. Perhaps they are in areas, like my own, which are 100% WAV.

2. Perhaps they have a WAV and then later need an exemption due to an illness or infirmaty developing.

3. Perhaps due to an accident they need a temporary exemption, a broken arm for example, can drive, can't risk a wheelchair.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:46 pm 

Chris the Fish wrote:
1. Perhaps they are in areas, like my own, which are 100% WAV.

2. Perhaps they have a WAV and then later need an exemption due to an illness or infirmaty developing.

3. Perhaps due to an accident they need a temporary exemption, a broken arm for example, can drive, can't risk a wheelchair.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

No not really :shock: The purpose of having WAV's is to enable wheelchair users to get into a taxi. If they can't get into that particular taxi then it's useless. Just because an area has implemented 100% WAV's doesn't mean it's right to do so and is usually implemented as a way of numerical controls imo. It's making drivers buy a vehicle that is not suited to their abilities. Obviously if it's only a temporary exemption the driver would need to have a WAV cos normally they are able to assist wheelchair bound passengers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:48 pm 

toots wrote:

No not really :shock: The purpose of having WAV's is to enable wheelchair users to get into a taxi.

Thats sh*te.

The purpose of a WAV is to access all of the community, not just the wheelchair bound.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:50 pm 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

No not really :shock: The purpose of having WAV's is to enable wheelchair users to get into a taxi.

Thats sh*te.

The purpose of a WAV is to access all of the community, not just the wheelchair bound.

CC

What like you do :? Who else needs a WAV?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:55 pm 

toots wrote:
captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

Thats sh*te.

CC

To follow the taxi driver mentality for a moment.......everyone but me?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:07 pm 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:
captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

Thats sh*te.

CC

To follow the taxi driver mentality for a moment.......everyone but me?

CC

Well that ends that debate then doesn't it :roll: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:09 pm 

toots wrote:
Well that ends that debate then doesn't it :roll: :lol:

I doubt it. :wink:

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:23 am 

Quote:
If the passenger wants to transfer to a seat, the driver must help him or her to get out of the wheelchair and into a seat and back into the wheelchair;

Anyone see a problem with this bit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:58 am 

gusmac wrote:
Anyone see a problem with this bit?

Several....manhandling for one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:10 am 

toots wrote:

Very good question, and I know of one union that has proposed drivers over a certain age (to be decided) are allowed to own and drive saloons.

This would allow a small number of saloons to be available for those folks that have been brainwashed by some into believing they can't get into a WAV.

Add exempted drivers to the old fogie's condition, and we have an answer to the problem you have outlined.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:34 pm 

Sussex wrote:
toots wrote:

Very good question, and I know of one union that has proposed drivers over a certain age (to be decided) are allowed to own and drive saloons.

This would allow a small number of saloons to be available for those folks that have been brainwashed by some into believing they can't get into a WAV.

Add exempted drivers to the old fogie's condition, and we have an answer to the problem you have outlined.

I have a friend who would take exception to you saying that she has been brainwashed into believing she can't get into a WAV. Whilst there is a step to aid her and handles for her to hold onto the problem arises if her hand won't grip which it often doesn't. Why should they have to put in so much more effort to enter a taxi. It's easier for people in wheelchairs to enter taxis than it is for some 'able bodied' people and that is not equality.

I'd also question why it should be an age related issue when it comes to drivers being exempt. It should only be strength and ability related issue not an age issue. I'm not a big person nor a strong person and I'd be lucky if I could push anybody over 7st in a wheelchair on a slight incline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:39 pm 

toots wrote:

I have a friend who would take exception to you saying that she has been brainwashed into believing she can't get into a WAV. Whilst there is a step to aid her and handles for her to hold onto the problem arises if her hand won't grip which it often doesn't. Why should they have to put in so much more effort to enter a taxi. It's easier for people in wheelchairs to enter taxis than it is for some 'able bodied' people and that is not equality.

You see them all running up the stairs of the coach that's taking them to Blackpool or wherever for the 3 day trip or beano eh ??? and i'll bet not one of them says..."I can't get in that i'll wait for the next one"

Hyproctites the whole lot o them ](*,)