Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dhillon & Dhillon v HMRC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:07 am 

Another case regarding the employment status of drivers. This was a haulage contractor in the building industry who supplied drivers with branded lorries, gave instructions etc. The courts found that the drivers were employed and not self-employed. Sorry I can't find the link at the moment but a google search will find plenty of articles on the case.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:48 pm 

http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKFTT/TC ... 05583.html

Determining Employment Status

In Dhillon and Dhillon v HMRC, the First-Tier Tax Tribunal held that a checklist approach could not be taken to indicate employment status. It stressed the need to step back and assess the whole picture when making an informed and considered decision.
By way of background, the Appellant provided haulage services, engaging drivers who:

were paid a fixed amount per shift
could refuse jobs;
were not guaranteed work;
received induction training;
had a limited right of substitution; and
used the Appellant’s lorries.

However, the drivers did not have any subsequent supervision and generally provided their own equipment.

The FTTT found that the drivers were employees during each individual contract. The key factors were the considerable degree of control exercised and the fact that the drivers were not in business on their own account.

Comment: In this case, the FTTT assessed the employment status under tax legislation which does not allow for the additional category of “workers”. Whist there are some key indicators as to an individual’s employment status, this case helps highlight the fact that there are other factors which the courts and tribunals must also consider i.e. the multi-faceted tests which the Employment Tribunals have developed over the years.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:08 pm 

Thanks for the link, it wasn't on the internet when I posted the original thread which I got from one of the regular solicitors' updates that I get.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:06 pm 

On looking down the list of drivers I initially though it had all happened somewhere on the Indian sub continent...but no..It was here.