UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:29 pm 

Rosenbloom v McDonnell
(DC) Divisional Court
c.1957

Subject: Road traffic

Summary: The appellant, a taxi-driver plying for hire in London, accepted a passenger who required him to wait for some forty minutes at the half-way stage of the journey. The passenger told the taxi-driver that "he would see him all right." At the end of the journey the taximeter registered 9s. and the passenger offered 12s. 6d. which the appellant refused, asking for double fare.

The Divisional Court (Lord Goddard C.J., Hilbery and Donovan JJ.), dismissing the appeal, held that no special bargain had been struck and that the appellant was guilty of demanding more than the proper fare contrary to the London Hackney Carriage Act 1853 s. 17(1) and also the Metropolitan Public Carriage Act 1869 s. 15, and the London Cab Order 1934.

Legislation Cited

London Hackney Carriage Act 1853 s. 17(1)
Metropolitan Public Carriage Act 1869 s. 15
London Cab Order 1934 (SI 1934 )

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:40 am 

Location: Grim North, Carrot Crunchers and Codhead Country, North of Watford Gap
JD wrote:

The passenger told the taxi-driver that "he would see him all right." At the end of the journey the taximeter registered 9s. and the passenger offered 12s. 6d. which the appellant refused, asking for double fare.

The Divisional Court (Lord Goddard C.J., Hilbery and Donovan JJ.), dismissing the appeal, held that no special bargain had been struck and that the appellant was guilty of demanding more than the proper fare
)

So, anyone know the meaning of "special bargain"

Example. I am sat near a cab rank supping tea, taking a break, its flat out and the ranks are heaving, a punter comes over and say "hey cab driver are you available, its not far but I don't want to wait with all this [edited by admin] queing up in the rank, could you take me to so and so, I will give you a tenner"

Lets say the fare on the meter would be say 4 quid, would this be a guilty plea if I took the tenner, your thoughts