Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: I Aaree
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:28 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Repeal of section 16 !!!!!!

All down to the Merseyside T&G (Unite).

Instead of repealing Section 16, the government should be enhancing that provision to include Private Hire Vehicles and Operators too!!!

I agree and i will be talking to our MP.

The Hackney Association Ltd
bbha@btinternet.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:37 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
What is section 16 BTW??

If youi can imagine a cake or pizza with zero being at the 12 o'clock position and then cutting the cake or pizza into 20 equally sized sections, all the cuts being from the middle to the edge, counting from zero in an anti-clockwise direction section 16 would be between section 15 and section 17!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:41 pm 

Sussex wrote:
gusmac wrote:
BTW if section 16 was repealled in full, wouldn't we be back to where we were before this act? i.e. Councils imposing numerical limits without having to show there was no unmet demand?

No, because the Transport Act says no, unless section 16 applies.

So no section 16 opt out, no restrictions.

No, not quite.

Section 16 (a) would stay, section 16 (b) would be repealled.

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:26 pm 

More from http://rainycityripoff.blogspot.com/

National Cab Act; Update

Further to our breaking news on the above proposal, our email box has been busy. Some tell us it’s a lie; we have made it up to buy some cheap plates. So be it, that COULD have happened. July 19th is the deadline for the Select Committee report. You will see it here first. Let’s all wait till then. If our source is lying you will know in 3 weeks’ time. We here know our source, we know this is right. We stand or fall by our revelations.

Moving slightly on from that, why have things reached this point? The trade both Hackney and Private Hire were working OK, why fix something which is not broke. The people to ask are Unite the Union, apart from all the other industries they have destroyed; here they try to end ours. Unite have started the whole process by demanding change. They were warned about the consequences of their actions over a year ago, they ignored that warning, and we reap the consequences. Proof is here;

http://www.unitetheunion.org/pdf/089-CT ... L%20A4.pdf

One of the warnings they received, and incidentally one of the best trade articles I have ever read, was published this January:

http://www.national-taxi-association.co.uk/?p=99

The Institute of Licensing have put their oar in as well. The Institute are a registered charity, members of which are Licensing Officers around the Country. Our own Principal Officer Ann Marku is on the board. Ms Marku represented the Institute at the National Conference in Sunderland last year. It is suggested Ms Marku made quite a berk of herself, a representative of the North Tyneside Hackney Carriage Association, Bob Sneddon, laid a nicely worded trap for her. Ms Marku says all licensing authorities have bye laws to control drivers, Bob Sneddon (North Tyne) then informs her that Derwentside do not have byelaws, (page 27) Ms Marku then says “well there must be some who don’t have byelaws, I mean, I don’t know”. Fair enough of her to own up really. . . EXCEPT, Bob’s point was that Ms Marku purports to have been in Licensing at Derwentside, before she came to Manchester. We think Ms Marku’s CV should be examined as well as the “unable” Ms Hicks

Ms Marku also goes on to say Private hire cars should be made to park on car parks, off road, where they “can be accessible to people”. Grouping PH cars together where “they can be accessible to people” is a CRIMINAL offence Ann, your suggestions for the destruction of the Hackney trade are not law YET.

Ms Marku has been unavailable to the Licensing Unit for some of last year and early this year, due to her “volunteering” to assist the Institute ( a charity remember) in formulating their survey and report to the Commons Select Committee. We would hope that she did not claim her salary from the licensing unit, the money for which comes from OUR pockets. However don’t hold your breath.

Many of you reading this may feel that the salary Ms Marku collects is hugely disproportionate to her ability. The group attending Conference at Sunderland would no doubt agree.

Ms Marku’s comments start at page 23 of the following report page 27 onwards shows her replies to Bob.

http://www.national-taxi-association.co ... d-2010.pdf

Bob Sneddon if you read this, well done Mate.

A final note, attempts will be made to “adjust” (destroy) our trade; some will be the suggestions of our Licensing Officers Institute. I am sure many of you will find it particularly galling that you have been paying her wages for that privilege.

Source; http://rainycityripoff.blogspot.com/

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:50 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Some tell us it’s a lie; we have made it up to buy some cheap plates.

That's exactly what someone said to me.

What a cynical trade we have. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:41 pm 

There is already a large amount of money... sitting and waiting.... to take on such a battle... and I'm quite certain that a large number of MPs across the country will be lobbied about the removal of section 16 ..... I would be dubious that this committee would make such a recommendation..... I have met the chairperson before... after all she is a Liverpool MP...... but stranger things can happen.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:28 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
well if its true a national day of action would be easy enough

A rolling road block on every Major motorway and A road on a monday morning at 08.00 would certainly get the governments attention and I doubt Cameron is as stubborn and inflexible as Maggie T so the prospect of thousands of cabbies bringing the country to a standstill might be enough to sway opinion or at least get them to think of the consequences

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:04 am 

I don't see how this can benefit the trade. All you'll create is congestion on the already congested ranks. The only people who may benefit are those PH (every town has a few of them) who go out and get their own work, they'll benefit as they will just carry on but with a hackney plate making it harder for them to be prosecuted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:51 am 

edders23 wrote:
well if its true a national day of action would be easy enough

A rolling road block on every Major motorway and A road on a monday morning at 08.00 would certainly get the governments attention and I doubt Cameron is as stubborn and inflexible as Maggie T so the prospect of thousands of cabbies bringing the country to a standstill might be enough to sway opinion or at least get them to think of the consequences
If nothing else ... it would be a day out ...M 6...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:49 am 

Thank god for the seperate London legislation.

Phew. 8-[

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:56 am 

GBC wrote:
Thank god for the seperate London legislation.

Phew. 8-[

Since when does the word national, as in National Cab Act, exclude London?

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:38 am 

Southport PH wrote:
All you'll create is congestion on the already congested ranks.

Why would it create congestion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:09 am 

I am sure Mr T will remember, in the early 1980's a National protest was organised against the (then) proposals by Steven Norris, who was Tory transport Minister. The same national deregulation was on the cards.

Hundreds of cabs travelled from the North (I was one) and we met up with the Merseyside fleet, travelled on to and around Birmingham causing chaos.

The M6 had a rolling 50mph taxi roadblock before meeting up with the London trade, who were at that time protesting about the proposal to license minicabs.

London was brought to a standstill, whilst we met Mr Norris at the commons and we all filled in some sort of a paper which meant if your MP was present, they had to come and see you.

Anyway, we made National news, the police helicopters were all over the M6, Mr Norris was almost assaulted by the Merseyside brigade - But best of all, section 16 was born.

All this was arranged without the interweb or mobile phones and it achieved it's goal.

If the London trade are to protest about the Olympic VIP lanes, then you have a "perfect storm" for a National protest.

It has been done before, will it be done again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:00 pm 

I have been sent this with a request to put it up on here.

The Select Transport Committee have not seen their Draft Report yet. They have to approve a Report that will then be presented to the Government and the Minister will decide whether to suggest any action on part or all of the Report. It is hoped to reach this stage by 19.07.2011 when Parliament Rises for the Summer Recess.

As there will have to be a Green Paper and a White Paper it is unlikely that there will be any new Legislation before 2014.

Unfortunately I am precluded from naming the source, but it is my own opinion that it is correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:29 pm 

More from;

Rainy City Rip Off
This is the Blog for Manchester Taxi Drivers who are fed up of being ignored by The City Council.

Sunday, 10 July 2011

Rainy City causes National panic?

The following web article, would indicate that we have caused a bit of a panic around the country with our little local blog. We only aim to keep you informed, something other organisations find unsettling. NALEO the association of Licensing officers are telling thier members not to panic for NOW.

That message does not seem to have worked in Manchester; news this week indicates that the main GMB rep, a forty year veteran has sold his plate, the acting Chairman of TODA has sold his and the Radio companies trade representative has placed all 3 of his cabs on the market.

All 3 of these people sit on the trade liason committee which meets the Cities Licensing unit every month or so. Do they know something, we dont. Surely these leading luminairies have not been paniced by a harmless little blog like this?

We print NALEO's link (which slags us off) in pursuit of fairness, read on and decide for yourself.

http://cms.naleo.org.uk/index.php?mact= ... turnid=121

Posted by Biggles at Sunday, July 10, 2011 0 comments

Source; http://rainycityripoff.blogspot.com/

Brummie Cabbie.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next