Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:22 pm 

Sussex wrote:
tom2907 wrote:
Panic over ! The RMT have picked the story up now. They will sort it.

They weren't overly impressive at the Committee hearings, and I'm not too sure they will get a warm response form a coalition majority committee.

To be honest all the Hackney trade reps were dreadful at the Select Committee. The only person who seemed to know what he was talking about was Steve Wright MBE for the private hire Association. He is not DJ Steve Wright ,I presume ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:02 pm 

tom2907 wrote:
Sussex wrote:
tom2907 wrote:

They weren't overly impressive at the Committee hearings, and I'm not too sure they will get a warm response form a coalition majority committee.

To be honest all the Hackney trade reps were dreadful at the Select Committee. The only person who seemed to know what he was talking about was Steve Wright MBE for the private hire Association. He is not DJ Steve Wright ,I presume ?

I can't believe you wrote that, did you actually listen to the words Mr Wright said? If you did listen to them, did you understand what he was saying and what they meant?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:21 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Would 00.02hrs on Tuesday 19th July 2011 be a little too soon?

I have faith in the TDO Politburo; 00.02hrs on Tuesday 19th July 2011 is NO PROBLEM!!

I have been reliably informed that TDO has requested an embargoed copy. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:33 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:

I have faith in the TDO Politburo; 00.02hrs on Tuesday 19th July 2011 is NO PROBLEM!!

Brilliant!!!

So 00:02hrs on Tuesday 19th July 2011 it is then.

That should bump up the 'users online’ figure around then.

I don't think my daughter will be very happy with her dad though. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:08 pm 

captain cab wrote:
tom2907 wrote:
Sussex wrote:
tom2907 wrote:

I can't believe you wrote that, did you actually listen to the words Mr Wright said? If you did listen to them, did you understand what he was saying and what they meant?

CC

Finally got round to watching that last night.

I think the best phrase to describe Mr Wright's views would be 'in denial'. :D

Mind you, I think they all were to a greater or lesser extent, but Mr Wright's views on the London PH trade seemed particularly rose-tinted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:18 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:

Brilliant!!!

So 00:02hrs on Tuesday 19th July 2011 it is then.

That should bump up the 'users online’ figure around then.

I don't think my daughter will be very happy with her dad though. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Can't really see what difference it will make to TDO readers if it can't be on here any earlier than it will be on Parliament's website.

Indeed, will Alex still be up at the requisite time? :lol:

Of course, Alex will be able to have a sneak preview, but unless he's naughty then it won't benefit the TDO hoi poloi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:52 pm 

Dusty Bin wrote:
Of course, Alex will be able to have a sneak preview, but unless he's naughty then it won't benefit the TDO hoi poloi.

But maybe a TDO member might be able to give a few educated guesses. :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:17 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Dusty Bin wrote:

But maybe a TDO member might be able to give a few educated guesses. :roll: :roll:

we are all doomed I tell you :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:21 pm 

Dusty Bin wrote:
Can't really see what difference it will make to TDO readers if it can't be on here any earlier than it will be on Parliament's website.

Indeed, will Alex still be up at the requisite time? :lol:

That's the last thing Alex should be doing!!!

Betraying a confidence is a definite NO!! NO!!

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:42 am 

Chris the Fish wrote:
I have been sent this with a request to put it up on here.

The Select Transport Committee have not seen their Draft Report yet. They have to approve a Report that will then be presented to the Government and the Minister will decide whether to suggest any action on part or all of the Report. It is hoped to reach this stage by 19.07.2011 when Parliament Rises for the Summer Recess.

As there will have to be a Green Paper and a White Paper it is unlikely that there will be any new Legislation before 2014.

Unfortunately I am precluded from naming the source, but it is my own opinion that it is correct.

Will you be able to name the source some time in the near future?

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:45 am 

Chris the Fish wrote:
I have been sent this with a request to put it up on here.

The Select Transport Committee have not seen their Draft Report yet. They have to approve a Report that will then be presented to the Government and the Minister will decide whether to suggest any action on part or all of the Report. It is hoped to reach this stage by 19.07.2011 when Parliament Rises for the Summer Recess.

As there will have to be a Green Paper and a White Paper it is unlikely that there will be any new Legislation before 2014.

Unfortunately I am precluded from naming the source, but it is my own opinion that it is correct.

Just a thought.

With your inside source now seeming to have been proved correct, will any new Act scrap the Plymouth Act, or isn't your source that well informed?

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:00 am 

Dusty Bin wrote:

It would appear that Mr Dusty Bin was right and the Transport Select Committee's report, 'Taxis and Private Hire Vehicles' will be available for all to see shortly after the publication hour has passed [what ever that means; probably at 01.01hrs] on this link;

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... lications/

So Alex, you can go to sleep at your normal bedtime; no need to stay up.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:24 am 

Brummie Cabbie to answer your two questions without quoting either of us yet again...

1. I will ask the middle man in Plymouth if his source is happy to be named, I think it doubtful, I will obviously respect whatever decision is reached.

2. The question on Plymouth and it's own act will be broached, if I get an answer I won't be shy about posting it up here.

My own "feeling" is that Plymouth will be included in any new legislation and, controversially, so will London, as it will be a pill for the whole nation to swallow. I stress that is just my thoughts on the matter.

Whatever happens there will be winners and there will be losers. Just because the report is in still does not mean anything. Lobbying of MP's and even Lords will then commence. At all stages amendments can (and will) be made - the final "Act" (if it happens at all) will be vastly different from the report that we will see next week. In effect the report is just the first salvo in what will be "a hell of a war".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:50 am 

Chris the Fish wrote:
Brummie Cabbie to answer your two questions without quoting either of us yet again...

1. I will ask the middle man in Plymouth if his source is happy to be named, I think it doubtful, I will obviously respect whatever decision is reached.

2. The question on Plymouth and it's own act will be broached, if I get an answer I won't be shy about posting it up here.

My own "feeling" is that Plymouth will be included in any new legislation and, controversially, so will London, as it will be a pill for the whole nation to swallow. I stress that is just my thoughts on the matter.

Whatever happens there will be winners and there will be losers. Just because the report is in still does not mean anything. Lobbying of MP's and even Lords will then commence. At all stages amendments can (and will) be made - the final "Act" (if it happens at all) will be vastly different from the report that we will see next week. In effect the report is just the first salvo in what will be "a hell of a war".

The naming of your source is probably not as important as knowing what sphere of the world he or she revolves in, i.e. politician, civil servant, married to one of the above etc., etc.

The chances are that what ever name you might or might not post on the Forum, the reaction could be WTF is he/she!!

And as I keep banging on about, within reason it does not matter what is in any new statute that might be enacted. What matters, as we have all found out to our cost since the 1976 Act, is what will be the new regime of enforcing the Act and if it's as weak as the present regime, then any new Act will fail!!

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:47 pm 

I wonder ...if anybody remembers the last time the Tories were in power.. the then new taxi Act got as far as becoming a green paper..... and then died..... but at that time we had people within the trade who knew how to play the political game.... I will be interested to see if there's anybody out there.. now... with the capability of masterminding and co-ordinating a United attack... I say attack because I find it to be more effective......... we will have to see what the recommendations are.... or whether it is just more.... smoke and mirrors..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next