Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:28 pm 

Sefton-based Delta Taxis calls for regional plate as MPs demand taxi rules overhaul

ONE of the region’s biggest taxi firms today called for Merseyside-wide licences after MPs demanded an overhaul of taxi and private hire rules. Sefton-based Delta Taxis said the trade should follow in the footsteps of the rail and bus industry by creating “joined-up” provision.

The firm spoke out after House of Commons watchdogs examined the issue of companies operating outside the district in which they are licensed, a practice known as “cross-border hire.”

A transport select committee report referred to Delta Taxis using “a fleet spread out across the whole of the multi-borough zone that can respond to telephone requests quite literally within seconds”.

Unite the Union’s Tommy McIntyre told the committee the company had taken 55% of the work in Liverpool. He claimed: “They are not actually paying any money whatsoever towards the licensing regime in Liverpool.”

The city council also pointed out the use of new GPS technology allows operators to “control hundreds, even thousands, of vehicles efficiently by identifying a vehicle which is near to a booking request”.

The committee urged ministers to review and modernise regulations to “keep licensing local” and curb unfair dominance of areas by single companies.

Chairman Louise Ellman, MP for Riverside, said: “The rules for taxis date back to 1847 and still refer to horse-drawn carriages. “The rules for private hire vehicles were set down in 1976 and are now out of date due to the growth of mobile phones and the internet. “The age of this legislation and the complexity of case law makes the need for an overhaul irresistible.”

The Government is aiming to refer car hire laws to the Law Commission. But Mrs Ellman added: “We believe a more effective approach would be for ministers to work with the trade, councils and user groups to develop and bring forward new legislation within the lifetime of this government.”

A spokesperson for Delta Taxis said the firm welcomed the committee’s recommendation for larger licensing districts, saying it paved the way for a Merseyside plate. He added: “Merseytravel already oversees a joined-up bus and train provision for all five local authorities.

“The report therefore indicates that taxis could well be next. Instead of ‘Sefton’ or ‘Liverpool’ taxi drivers, we would have ‘Merseyside’ drivers, servicing the Liverpool region more efficiently with lower carbon emissions and cheaper fares for the travelling public.

“It all rather depends on where the higher powers decide to draw the boundary line, around our conurbation or right across the middle. “Consumer and environmental demands are both expected to play a major role in this decision during the next round of consultation.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:07 pm 

Quote:
“It all rather depends on where the higher powers decide to draw the boundary line

The county of Merseyside already exists so why would there be any need to 'draw the boundary' surely it's already there :?

Quote:
The committee urged ministers to review and modernise regulations to “keep licensing local” and curb unfair dominance of areas by single companies.

Keep it local? Isn't that what the problem is in Liverpool. People from outside Liverpool ringing their local company to come back and get them. If the HCs hadn't got themselves such a bad reputation with the punters they wouldn't have lost half the work they claim Delta has taken :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:20 pm 

I personally support the creation of a Merseyside plate... it would be better for the public and give drivers both private hire and hackney a larger working area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:42 pm 

MR T wrote:
I personally support the creation of a Merseyside plate... it would be better for the public and give drivers both private hire and hackney a larger working area.

Provided hackney plates are limited eh?

I mean, I don't think you'd like the idea as much if there was an unmet demand found somewhere like Wirral :lol: :lol:

:wink:

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:49 pm 

captain cab wrote:
MR T wrote:

I mean, I don't think you'd like the idea as much if there was an unmet demand found somewhere like Wirral :lol: :lol:

Still not convinced that section 16 would survive a new act. :-$

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:52 pm 

MR T wrote:

How big a working area do you want? We can already pick up anywhere in the country :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:53 pm 

Sussex wrote:

You mean they'd revert back to pre-1985 where a council had total discretion?

:shock:

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:53 pm 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:
MR T wrote:

By the time that happens..... it'll be some body else's problem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:55 pm 

MR T wrote:

2014?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:57 pm 

captain cab wrote:
MR T wrote:

2014?
list the dates of all the Act's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:59 pm 

toots wrote:
MR T wrote:

How big a working area do you want? We can already pick up anywhere in the country :wink:
Delta doesn't seem to think so

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:01 pm 

MR T wrote:
toots wrote:
MR T wrote:

Why for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:05 pm 

toots wrote:
MR T wrote:
toots wrote:
MR T wrote:

Why for?
If they created the Merseyside plate.... it would be relatively easy to operate.... it would simply mean that the only taxis that could sit on stands would be those registered for that area.... but if you were in another area and were flagged you could pick up... as long as it was in Merseyside... obviously for Hackney's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:07 pm 

toots wrote:
MR T wrote:
toots wrote:
MR T wrote:

Why for?
Delta's system is drop.. wait.. and then Next Job.... no dead mileage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:10 pm 

Taxis and private hire vehicles - regulation

Status: The consultation for this project is due to open in June 2012

We are reviewing the existing framework of taxi and private hire vehicle regulation with a view to preparing proposals for consultation.

Taxis and private hire vehicles (PHVs) are an important part of local transport. They operate in highly regulated markets where safety and quality control are paramount. Licensing covers key areas such as the quality of services, the fitness of drivers, fare regulation and restrictions on the number of licenses issued.

The current law on taxis and PHVs has been criticised for being complex and outdated.

One problem is the multiplicity of legislation. Taxis, which can “ply for hire” so customers can stop them in the street, have different rules to PHVs which can only be pre-booked. In turn each of the taxi and PHV trades is regulated by multiple statutes. There are also different legal systems along geographical lines distinguishing Plymouth, London and the rest of England and Wales. Whereas some distinctions are clearly justified others are less clearly so.

Some of the legislation, particularly relating to taxis, is archaic. The key statutes date back to Victorian times and refer to “hackney carriages” when taxis were literally horse-drawn vehicles. Case law and guidance are indispensable in interpreting the law. This also makes the legislation less able to reflect more modern technology like the telephone, internet and GPS technology.

The project

The project examines the legal framework relating to taxis and PHVs with a view to making it simpler and more modern. We aim to publish proposals for reform in June 2012. This will be followed by a three month consultation period where we invite the public to respond to our proposals. We plan to publish a final report with our recommendations and draft bill by mid-2014.