All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:13 pm 

MR T wrote:
toots wrote:
MR T wrote:
toots wrote:
MR T wrote:
I personally support the creation of a Merseyside plate... it would be better for the public and give drivers both private hire and hackney a larger working area.

How big a working area do you want? We can already pick up anywhere in the country :wink:
Delta doesn't seem to think so

Why for?
Delta's system is drop.. wait.. and then Next Job.... no dead mileage

I wish you wouldn't just edit with no regard to the comment made prior to the edit. Deltas system is no different than any other PH system that operates with GPS and computers. What I don't like about Delta is they may well have the cheapest fares but they don't have the cheapest settle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:14 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Taxis and private hire vehicles - regulation

Status: The consultation for this project is due to open in June 2012

We are reviewing the existing framework of taxi and private hire vehicle regulation with a view to preparing proposals for consultation.

Taxis and private hire vehicles (PHVs) are an important part of local transport. They operate in highly regulated markets where safety and quality control are paramount. Licensing covers key areas such as the quality of services, the fitness of drivers, fare regulation and restrictions on the number of licenses issued.

The current law on taxis and PHVs has been criticised for being complex and outdated.

One problem is the multiplicity of legislation. Taxis, which can “ply for hire” so customers can stop them in the street, have different rules to PHVs which can only be pre-booked. In turn each of the taxi and PHV trades is regulated by multiple statutes. There are also different legal systems along geographical lines distinguishing Plymouth, London and the rest of England and Wales. Whereas some distinctions are clearly justified others are less clearly so.

Some of the legislation, particularly relating to taxis, is archaic. The key statutes date back to Victorian times and refer to “hackney carriages” when taxis were literally horse-drawn vehicles. Case law and guidance are indispensable in interpreting the law. This also makes the legislation less able to reflect more modern technology like the telephone, internet and GPS technology.

The project

The project examines the legal framework relating to taxis and PHVs with a view to making it simpler and more modern. We aim to publish proposals for reform in June 2012. This will be followed by a three month consultation period where we invite the public to respond to our proposals. We plan to publish a final report with our recommendations and draft bill by mid-2014.
I don't doubt the printed word... it is now been nearly a year since percentages of wheelchair accessible vehicles were supposed to be presented.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:18 pm 

toots wrote:
MR T wrote:
toots wrote:
MR T wrote:
toots wrote:
MR T wrote:
I personally support the creation of a Merseyside plate... it would be better for the public and give drivers both private hire and hackney a larger working area.

How big a working area do you want? We can already pick up anywhere in the country :wink:

Why for?

I wish you wouldn't just edit with no regard to the comment made prior to the edit. Deltas system is no different than any other PH system that operates with GPS and computers. What I don't like about Delta is they may well have the cheapest fares but they don't have the cheapest settle.
Every person has a backbone..... the only people allowed to drive licence private hire vehicles are licensed private hire drivers..... if they stop driving for one week.. they could certainly negotiate better terms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:21 pm 

2014 seems OK for the Law Commission - then Green Paper - then White Paper - then General Election - then start again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:24 pm 

toots wrote:
MR T wrote:
toots wrote:
MR T wrote:
toots wrote:
MR T wrote:

Why for?

A Merseyside licence would allow Delta to sit and wait in the Liverpool area

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:25 pm 

Chris the Fish wrote:
2014 seems OK for the Law Commission - then Green Paper - then White Paper - then General Election - then start again.

spot on... as long as the country doesn't go bankrupt in between

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:26 pm 

You mean it would legalise what they are already doing :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:28 pm 

Chris the Fish wrote:

I dont think so this time.....I dont know if anyones noticed but there seems to be a move on.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:30 pm 

toots wrote:
I think it was you.. that mentioned the Merseyside Act.... under that Act Liverpool have the power to prosecute for standing and waiting..... it makes you wonder why they don't, you're quite correct, it will legalise what they are already doing, and if some of the funding goes into the pot, I would imagine someone would be very happy.... Mersey travel have been making overtures regarding the running of all licensing departments on Merseyside....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:35 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Chris the Fish wrote:

I dont think so this time.....I dont know if anyones noticed but there seems to be a move on.

CC
I think one of the statements that will be made to the Law Commission, which can be well and truly substantiated... is what is the point of new laws.... when the people( licensing officers) are too bloody thick to understand the ones we have now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:38 pm 

captain cab wrote:

CC

I don't like quoting myself, but on another similar thread I put:

"Whatever happens there will be winners and there will be losers. Just because the report is in still does not mean anything. Lobbying of MP's and even Lords will then commence. At all stages amendments can (and will) be made - the final "Act" (if it happens at all) will be vastly different from the report that we will see next week. In effect the report is just the first salvo in what will be "a hell of a war"".

The first salvo (HoC TSC) and the second (Law Commission) have been fired - now the war gets going.

Might do that again - it saves on the typing! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:40 pm 

MR T wrote:
toots wrote:
I think it was you.. that mentioned the Merseyside Act.... under that Act Liverpool have the power to prosecute for standing and waiting..... it makes you wonder why they don't, you're quite correct, it will legalise what they are already doing, and if some of the funding goes into the pot, I would imagine someone would be very happy.... Mersey travel have been making overtures regarding the running of all licensing departments on Merseyside....

I've often wondered what would happen if it ever became a reality and I also think that the more fuss Liverpool HCs make the more likely it is. Why spend money on enforcement when you don't have to if you combine all the areas within Merseyside. What I don't like is when the likes of Delta say it's for the best for the public when really that's not the reason they want it done

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:42 pm 

I wish I had your faith in the cab trade Chris.........out of 2500 plates in Northumberland.....only 50 bothered responding to their unification of the zones consultation

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:42 pm 

MR T wrote:
I think one of the statements that will be made to the Law Commission, which can be well and truly substantiated... is what is the point of new laws.... when the people( licensing officers) are too bloody thick to understand the ones we have now.

The obvious answer - though I do not hold with it - is "more simple laws are easier to understand and enforce".

Unfortunately that is exactly what they want to achieve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:45 pm 

Chris the Fish wrote:
MR T wrote:

The obvious answer - though I do not hold with it - is "more simple laws are easier to understand and enforce".

Unfortunately that is exactly what they want to achieve.

so what you're saying... is simpler laws for simple minded licensing officers :wink: