Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:46 pm 

The silly thing is, the laws we have now are simple.....as T says....they're enforced by idiots who cant be ars*d.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:47 pm 

Chris the Fish wrote:
MR T wrote:
I think one of the statements that will be made to the Law Commission, which can be well and truly substantiated... is what is the point of new laws.... when the people( licensing officers) are too bloody thick to understand the ones we have now.

The obvious answer - though I do not hold with it - is "more simple laws are easier to understand and enforce".

Unfortunately that is exactly what they want to achieve.

I don't think it's always a case of not understanding it's a case of having too many options available to them with such words as 'can' and 'may' at their disposal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:57 pm 

captain cab wrote:
I wish I had your faith in the cab trade Chris.........out of 2500 plates in Northumberland.....only 50 bothered responding to their unification of the zones consultation

CC

That will always be the case - too many only see the next job and no further.

Written evidence to the Select Committee didn't get to 60 NATIONALLY. I did not bother to see how many were "Trade" but many rightly expect their Association, National Association, Union or other body to speak for them. To be fair, that is what these organisations are actually for.

In Plymouth we had the PLTA and a total of one driver (me) making a response - but the PLTA spoke for the membership. Additionally as Plymouth is in the NTA, they were represented Nationally.

As you are aware I am on the Committee in Plymouth - I had more input than most in the content of the PLTA submission, but I still made my own contribution. (Partly because I was not in total agreement with the PLTA position I will freely admit.)

In this crazy democracy a Union block vote can choose a major Party leader, but a National body like the NTA get six pages to represent potentially thousands, but each of those represented could also submit six pages EACH.

We need to start lobbying MP's PDQ. We have to ready our broadside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:24 am 

I have just being reading some of the comments made about the Delta article in the Liverpool Echo.... it doesn't seem to be going down too well with Liverpool hackney drivers..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:46 am 

MR T wrote:
I have just being reading some of the comments made about the Delta article in the Liverpool Echo.... it doesn't seem to be going down too well with Liverpool hackney drivers..

Quote:
cant see how a merseyside plate can ever work as some liverpool drivers paid 60k for a plate

How does this make a difference as to whether a Merseyside plate would work or not :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:51 am 

toots wrote:
MR T wrote:

Quote:
cant see how a merseyside plate can ever work as some liverpool drivers paid 60k for a plate

How does this make a difference as to whether a Merseyside plate would work or not :?
:wink: :wink: It doesn't.... but certain people should have thought of that before they opened this can of worms..... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:35 am 

captain cab wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Still not convinced that section 16 would survive a new act. :-$

You mean they'd revert back to pre-1985 where a council had total discretion?

:shock:

Oh no. [-X

And it will be those good people who signed that treaty in Rome, many moons ago, that it will be down too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:39 am 

captain cab wrote:
I dont think so this time.....I dont know if anyones noticed but there seems to be a move on.

There is a move on, and the fact that the % consultation isn't out yet tells me that it will be joined with a lot more.

When? Who knows, but I've got a good feeling in my blood. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:19 pm 

So have I about the percentages of WAV vehicles.

I think it has finally dawned on the new coalition government that the removal of the PH WAV condition shortly before the Equality Act received the Royal Assent in the headlong rush to get it through Parliament before its dissolution for the General Election was a mistake.

I think that any new Cab Act will put that right and PHVs will have to adhere to WAV percentages too.

Hence the current delay in announcing the WAV percentage.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:54 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
I think that any new Cab Act will put that right and PHVs will have to adhere to WAV percentages too.

IMO there is no chance that a % of WAVs will be put on PH owners and drivers, but there is a very small chance that one might be put on the larger PH operators.

But I still believe that chance to be very very small.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:16 am 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:

I think it has finally dawned on the new coalition government that the removal of the PH WAV condition shortly before the Equality Act received the Royal Assent in the headlong rush to get it through Parliament before its dissolution for the General Election was a mistake.

If a % of ph owner drivers have to put a WAV on a system then they might as well be a HC. I would certainly be HC if I was in the % ph that had to put a WAV on

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:22 am 

toots wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:

If a % of ph owner drivers have to put a WAV on a system then they might as well be a HC. I would certainly be HC if I was in the % ph that had to put a WAV on
you'd be OK, it would only be people whose surnames begin with A to S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:29 am 

MR T wrote:
toots wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:

you'd be OK, it would only be people whose surnames begin with A to S.

I take it you're suggesting a name change to toots to avoid being collared at the very beginning of the alphabet with my surname :lol: