Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:11 pm
Posts: 8119
Location: A Villa in Aston NO MORE!
The muted idea of Fixed Penalty Notices would IMO be a very poor deterrent for transgressions of any new Cab Act laws.

The main important disobedience at the moment is illegal plying for hire, usually by PH or out of town PH and HC. In Brum, the vast majority of convictions for these offences result in many hundreds of pounds in fines and costs, usually in the high hundreds and sometimes over £1,000 in total.

The idea of Fixed Penalty Notices is just plain crazy as it would just dilute the penalties that are already being handed out!!!

And even these penalties of £500-800-1,000+ with up to 8 penalty points on the offender’s DVLA driver licence too, are just not getting the message across!!!

So to replace these with FPNs is just pointless.

_________________
Kind regards,

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 43356
Location: 1066 Country
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
The muted idea of Fixed Penalty Notices would IMO be a very poor deterrent for transgressions of any new Cab Act laws.

The main important disobedience at the moment is illegal plying for hire, usually by PH or out of town PH and HC. In Brum, the vast majority of convictions for these offences result in many hundreds of pounds in fines and costs, usually in the high hundreds and sometimes over £1,000 in total.

The idea of Fixed Penalty Notices is just plain crazy as it would just dilute the penalties that are already being handed out!!!

And even these penalties of £500-800-1,000+ with up to 8 penalty points on the offender’s DVLA driver licence too, are just not getting the message across!!!

So to replace these with FPNs is just pointless.

I disagree.

The whole point of FPNs is that they are easy to issue, as opposed to the nightmare scenario of criminal prosecutions.

Many 100s of these things will be issued, compared with the handful of criminal prosecutions in some areas, and none in others.

I would imagine that repeat offenders will not be issued FPNs and instead find themselves before the courts.

In some respects I don't like FPNs for the opposite reason that you don't, I believe they will be too easy to issue and lead to them being abused by council officials.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:26 pm
Posts: 8044
I was astonished to to see this was proposed by unite.. £200 and three points.... I wandered whether their members knew this was being proposed..

_________________
Justice for the 96. It has only taken 27 years...........repeat the same lies for 27 years and the truth sounds strange to people!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 43356
Location: 1066 Country
MR T wrote:
I was astonished to to see this was proposed by unite.. £200 and three points.... I wandered whether their members knew this was being proposed..

The council will not get any powers to issue points.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:26 pm
Posts: 8044
Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:
I was astonished to to see this was proposed by unite.. £200 and three points.... I wandered whether their members knew this was being proposed..

The council will not get any powers to issue points.
I never said they would

_________________
Justice for the 96. It has only taken 27 years...........repeat the same lies for 27 years and the truth sounds strange to people!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 43356
Location: 1066 Country
MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:
I was astonished to to see this was proposed by unite.. £200 and three points.... I wandered whether their members knew this was being proposed..

The council will not get any powers to issue points.
I never said they would

I never said you did.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:26 pm
Posts: 8044
Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:
I was astonished to to see this was proposed by unite.. £200 and three points.... I wandered whether their members knew this was being proposed..

The council will not get any powers to issue points.
I never said they would

I never said you did.
well why did you say what you said :wink:

_________________
Justice for the 96. It has only taken 27 years...........repeat the same lies for 27 years and the truth sounds strange to people!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 43356
Location: 1066 Country
MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:
I was astonished to to see this was proposed by unite.. £200 and three points.... I wandered whether their members knew this was being proposed..

The council will not get any powers to issue points.
I never said they would

I never said you did.
well why did you say what you said :wink:

Re-confirming my view that Unite know f*** all about just about everything.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:26 pm
Posts: 8044
Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:
I was astonished to to see this was proposed by unite.. £200 and three points.... I wandered whether their members knew this was being proposed..

The council will not get any powers to issue points.
I never said they would

I never said you did.
well why did you say what you said :wink:

Re-confirming my view that Unite know f*** all about just about everything.
OK then. :lol:

_________________
Justice for the 96. It has only taken 27 years...........repeat the same lies for 27 years and the truth sounds strange to people!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:49 pm
Posts: 1331
Location: Midlands
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
The muted idea of Fixed Penalty Notices would IMO be a very poor deterrent for transgressions of any new Cab Act laws.

The main important disobedience at the moment is illegal plying for hire, usually by PH or out of town PH and HC. In Brum, the vast majority of convictions for these offences result in many hundreds of pounds in fines and costs, usually in the high hundreds and sometimes over £1,000 in total.

The idea of Fixed Penalty Notices is just plain crazy as it would just dilute the penalties that are already being handed out!!!

And even these penalties of £500-800-1,000+ with up to 8 penalty points on the offender’s DVLA driver licence too, are just not getting the message across!!!

So to replace these with FPNs is just pointless.


Keep dishing out £100 fines every weekend and they'll soon get the message.

_________________
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Image
Believe me, don't get Mercury X2


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:11 pm
Posts: 8119
Location: A Villa in Aston NO MORE!
Midlander wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
The muted idea of Fixed Penalty Notices would IMO be a very poor deterrent for transgressions of any new Cab Act laws.

The main important disobedience at the moment is illegal plying for hire, usually by PH or out of town PH and HC. In Brum, the vast majority of convictions for these offences result in many hundreds of pounds in fines and costs, usually in the high hundreds and sometimes over £1,000 in total.

The idea of Fixed Penalty Notices is just plain crazy as it would just dilute the penalties that are already being handed out!!!

And even these penalties of £500-800-1,000+ with up to 8 penalty points on the offender’s DVLA driver licence too, are just not getting the message across!!!

So to replace these with FPNs is just pointless.

Keep dishing out £100 fines every weekend and they'll soon get the message.

And I suppose you could have written into the legislation; 3 x £100 FPN = 3 points on a DVLA licence.

_________________
Kind regards,

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group