Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 8:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:53 pm 

The muted idea of Fixed Penalty Notices would IMO be a very poor deterrent for transgressions of any new Cab Act laws.

The main important disobedience at the moment is illegal plying for hire, usually by PH or out of town PH and HC. In Brum, the vast majority of convictions for these offences result in many hundreds of pounds in fines and costs, usually in the high hundreds and sometimes over £1,000 in total.

The idea of Fixed Penalty Notices is just plain crazy as it would just dilute the penalties that are already being handed out!!!

And even these penalties of £500-800-1,000+ with up to 8 penalty points on the offender’s DVLA driver licence too, are just not getting the message across!!!

So to replace these with FPNs is just pointless.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:02 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
The muted idea of Fixed Penalty Notices would IMO be a very poor deterrent for transgressions of any new Cab Act laws.

The main important disobedience at the moment is illegal plying for hire, usually by PH or out of town PH and HC. In Brum, the vast majority of convictions for these offences result in many hundreds of pounds in fines and costs, usually in the high hundreds and sometimes over £1,000 in total.

The idea of Fixed Penalty Notices is just plain crazy as it would just dilute the penalties that are already being handed out!!!

And even these penalties of £500-800-1,000+ with up to 8 penalty points on the offender’s DVLA driver licence too, are just not getting the message across!!!

I disagree.

The whole point of FPNs is that they are easy to issue, as opposed to the nightmare scenario of criminal prosecutions.

Many 100s of these things will be issued, compared with the handful of criminal prosecutions in some areas, and none in others.

I would imagine that repeat offenders will not be issued FPNs and instead find themselves before the courts.

In some respects I don't like FPNs for the opposite reason that you don't, I believe they will be too easy to issue and lead to them being abused by council officials.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:04 pm 

I was astonished to to see this was proposed by unite.. £200 and three points.... I wandered whether their members knew this was being proposed..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:05 pm 

MR T wrote:
I was astonished to to see this was proposed by unite.. £200 and three points.... I wandered whether their members knew this was being proposed..

The council will not get any powers to issue points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:07 pm 

Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:

I never said they would

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:07 pm 

MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:

I never said they would

I never said you did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:08 pm 

Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:

I never said they would

I never said you did.
well why did you say what you said :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:15 pm 

MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:

I never said they would

I never said you did.

Re-confirming my view that Unite know f*** all about just about everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:16 pm 

Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:

I never said they would

I never said you did.

Re-confirming my view that Unite know f*** all about just about everything.
OK then. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:07 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:

Keep dishing out £100 fines every weekend and they'll soon get the message.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:55 pm 

Midlander wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:

Keep dishing out £100 fines every weekend and they'll soon get the message.

And I suppose you could have written into the legislation; 3 x £100 FPN = 3 points on a DVLA licence.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.