Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:37 am 

Sussex wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
What is badly needed is a system, a fair system, of number regulation for both PH and HC.

Higher standards of vehicles and drivers.

If that was computer controlled then I would agree with you.

But it isn't; it's human controlled and there lies the problem.

Interpretation of higher standards of vehicles and driver are controlled by licensing officers who all have differing standards throughout the country.

And that's why you have the Brewick situation, where standards are abysmal.

So whilst standards must be high, that bar is in different positions due to individual council versions of what they deem to be high standards.

It hasn't worked and it won't work.

The only way on vehicle standards is a national body testing all hire and reward vehicle to a national standard. Nothing short of that will suffice.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:40 pm 

Museing along, as EU members and bound by EU laws, shouldnt all local rules and regs be as per/same as used by all other EU member states

is Turkey in the EU, thier taxi regs must be a real treat...........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:46 pm 

toots wrote:
So you would restrict via intellect and financial means :wink:

Not sure to both of them.

Intellect, does the knowledge reflect ones intellect, or commitment?

Financial means, how much do drivers pay to rent vehicles, be that a % of the take or fixed sum?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:32 pm 

Sussex wrote:
toots wrote:
So you would restrict via intellect and financial means :wink:

Not sure to both of them.

Intellect, does the knowledge reflect ones intellect, or commitment?

Financial means, how much do drivers pay to rent vehicles, be that a % of the take or fixed sum?

Not all drivers rent and saloon vehicles are cheaper to buy and run than purpose built vehicles. Restriction would be caused financially if all vehicles had to be WAVs. Perhaps intellect is the wrong word to use when talking about somebodys ability to learn the knowledge for an area

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:19 pm 

to satisfy hacks regarding PH who take flag downs there is to be a new suspended sentence for them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:36 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
to satisfy hacks regarding PH who take flag downs there is to be a new suspended sentence for them

Was that the smallest picture you could find?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:42 am 

captain cab wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

Was that the smallest picture you could find?

CC

Why is he only wearing one shoe?

Why is he not wearing even a sock on the other foot?

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:53 am 
I have to say if the on the spot fines are done right it's a better way than the courts route, a driver who does it who say gets caught and has earned £50 up till then now faces a £80 fine is going to return to his radio for work after he's been caught a few times, just like a speeding ticket but instead of points to ban you driving you get them and once they hit a pre determined amount you are off the road for week first time, a mth second time, and third time it's a year or a renewal refusal full stop, once the message gets round you'll see the upside is PH firms won't be able to just keep taking on more and more drivers without increasing the work, and drivers won't feel the need to do it because the risk outweighs the reward.

And another thing, most punters who flag a PH end up paying more than what a metered Hack would charge.

If you want some reforms try these

1 - All PH & HC to have sealed meters.

2 - Regional fixed tariff, i.e you can't have a Bognor punter being charged London prices.

3 - Fluent in English.

4 - Regular ANPR traps, only aimed at the drivers face so the image can be compared to who is supposed to be driving using facial recognition.

5 - 6 Monthly condition inspection, this isn't the MOT side of it, the check will be for cleanliness of car and driver, body damage and documentation.

6 - Proper communication between drivers and the authority.

7 - 1 licence per 1 driver, no more licencing up 100's of cars in one name, if you want to be in the trade you can only have one unit unless you own a firm and then there will still need to be a limit.

8 - Licencing office to have a dedicated taxi team, preferably LO's that know a bit about the job

9 - Rank space consideration as venues change, and consultation with those who will use the ranks

10 - All unallocated PH must not sit on the roadside near potential customer points, designated park up areas at least half a mile away from stations,clubs and pubs etc.

This is what I would like to see, I'd also like to see the end of any monkey driving, a driver should have at least a grasp of the areas if not the streets, we all had to learn but when a customer asks for the hospital it's O.O.O if the driver doesn't know where that is, and it does happen quite a lot locally, a friends wife was handed a Tom Tom one time, the driver asked her to input the postcode for him :roll:

Scruffs need not apply, including current ones, we have one that thinks he Roy Wood crossed with a amenity tip, and he's white British before anyone thinks I'm bashing another creed, there are other things also but this will do for now, feel free to comment Y or N I won't be offended if you don't agree partially or fully.