Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:03 pm 

MR T wrote:
Quote:
Despite all you have written above, is that a reason not to at least try to persuade and influence those that will be drafting reports and legislation?

If you don't try, you're damn sure to be unsuccessful!!!

I don't think... No I definitely haven't.. said people shouldn't express their views...or go to meetings.... what I am saying is don't rely on this to succeed..... because at the end of the day... if they come out with something the trade does not want, you must be prepared... and that is so so simple..

I think it's a question of conscience.

If you try your best to do something, whatever that may be, and you are unsuccessful, then you know that you couldn't have done any more.

But if you don't try at all, to achieve whatever, then how can your conscience be clear when your objective is thwarted, knowing that you didn't even try.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:07 pm 

If you do your best and lose what good is that... to win.. you need to understand the system they work by.. and turn that system on then.... ... the trade needs to be positive... and sometimes that means saying.. no..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:14 pm 

The one thing I totally agree with Skull on is that people in this country are educated in a fashion so that they can be controlled.. people except and do not question the way government works... and very very few have the ability to turn that system back on itself.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:42 pm 

MR T wrote:
The one thing I totally agree with Skull on is that people in this country are educated in a fashion so that they can be controlled.. people except and do not question the way government works... and very very few have the ability to turn that system back on itself.

It was done in the run-up to the Transport Act 1985 and there was partial success.

Those in authority then TRIED!!!

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:59 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
When have you ever seen a publication or document so meticulously drafted and lengthy as 'Myth and Reality' with opposing and contrary opinions, reasoning that restricted licence numbers is the preferred option for the trade?

Never.

But maybe the restricting side haven't got the amount of ammo to defend their stance as those opposing restrictions.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:00 pm 

charles007 wrote:
I have to say i have not seen it but will look it up.

Dusty will be pleased. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:19 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
charles007 wrote:
then what do you call this below then.

Deregulation
While a desire to Limit (or re-limit) numbers of taxis was expressed, as was a desire to limit numbers of private hire vehicles, it was agreed amongst those present that the current Dft stance (and HOC)" What is HOC? would never go against total deregulation across the country, irrespective of future legislation changes.

now that does not sound good. i know whaqt my members will say. sounds like they have given up before they started.

thats were Mr Boaler is chair of NTTG, i wounder whether Eddie Gorman is the same Eddie Gorman who work for Bolton Licencing a few years back. George Simms Treasurer. and pat connor committee.

I totally agree with your view.

The problem as I see it is that when presenting such an opposite view to that which politicians, the DfT, the Law Commission and the like might hold, it is useless just stating such an opposite viewpoint without strong reasoning and evidence for your own convictions.

To demonstrate what I mean by that, just look at the TDO document, 'Myth and Reality'; a 70-page publication examining the issue of restricted taxi numbers.

Now I totally disagree with that document, because it does not take into account the basic economical model of 'Supply and Demand', or in the trade's case biased supply and demand, and therefore in my view 'Myth and Reality' is a flawed document.

And that's my view!!

But it is also my view that the author of that document went to great lengths [70 pages of length] to explain in comprehensive detail his [and perhaps others] points of view on the subject of restricted numbers.

And for that I have to begrudgingly admire and indeed congratulate the author, not for the contents of that publication which I have previously said I disagree with, but for his tenacity, determination and devotion in expressing his viewpoint so comprehensively in writing.

When have you ever seen a publication or document so meticulously drafted and lengthy as 'Myth and Reality' with opposing and contrary opinions, reasoning that restricted licence numbers is the preferred option for the trade?

Mein Kamp

Most common cover of Mein Kampf.
Author(s) Adolf Hitler
Country Germany
Language German
Genre(s) Autobiography, Political theory
Publisher Eher Verlag
Publication date July 18, 1925
Pages 720
Followed by Zweites Buch

Mein Kampf (English: My Struggle or My Battle) is a book written by **** leader Adolf Hitler. It combines elements of autobiography with an exposition of Hitler's political ideology. Volume 1 of Mein Kampf was published in 1925 and Volume 2 in 1926.[1] The book was edited by the former Hieronymite friar Bernhard Stempfle who later perished during the Night of the Long Knives.[2][3][4]

Hitler began the dictation of the book while imprisoned for what he considered to be "political crimes" after his failed Putsch in Munich in November 1923. Though Hitler received many visitors earlier on, he soon devoted himself entirely to the book. As he continued, Hitler realized that it would have to be a two-volume work, with the first volume scheduled for release in early 1925. The prison governor of Landsberg noted at the time that "he [Hitler] hopes the book will run into many editions, thus enabling him to fulfil his financial obligations and to defray the expenses incurred at the time of his trial.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:37 pm 

MR T wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
MR T wrote:
Charlie.... I will tell you the way I see it... the changes in the laws are already written... all that is happening now is what is required so that the changes cannot be challenged. it is called going through the motions, they have to hold consultations, to be legal. and a lot of people representing the trade actually think they are going to make a difference, their views will be listened to and taken on board..... just like they did with the OFT.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The battle will begin when their report is published...... do these people have what it takes to win, they didn't last time what has changed.....?? :sad:

If you take that view, then you appear to be in a boat and have already thrown away your paddles, while trying to navigate a white water rapid!!

As I have said before, not making strong representations, WITH VALID REASONS EXPLAINING THOSE POINTS OF VIEW, is not an option!!

It's not if I take that view.... This is my view..... my view has dramatically changed from when it was simply the Transport Select Committee ..the Law Commission were asked to look at this many many many months ago.... and then they jumped in with both feet six hours after the Transport Select Committee gave its findings and said there was no need for them.... I would say my view has definitely changed..... and I know when I'm about to be shafted... been there before..... the People in charge of the National Union's / association's should be shouting from the rooftops... ringing all the warning bells.... and waking the trade up... but What do I hear... silence... silence... silence....

Now this is because I am totally wrong and they are right.... so I will make my own judgments... at least then if I make a mistake I can only blame myself....

Or is it in their interests.... they want change at all costs.... because in the new regime they will be in a position of power... and I don't mean driving a taxi....

I agree with this sentiment. They will do what they have already planned and they are, as you say, currently going through the motions. By the time the trade find out what the agenda really is it will be too late to do much about it. You'll get the usual response from the trade of 'nobody told us anything about it'. Some will stamp their feet but it won't last. I agree with the last statement although I don't think so much it is the power they want I think it's all down to money

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:40 pm 

Quote:
I agree with the last statement although I don't think so much it is the power they want I think it's all down to money

I was being polite :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:42 pm 

MR T wrote:
Quote:
I agree with the last statement although I don't think so much it is the power they want I think it's all down to money

I was being polite :wink:

I was being realistic :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:44 pm 

I don't know if many people realise that at the moment the legal profession are in the death throes of losing huge amounts of legal-aid...... it is funny that they didn't know how to fight a political battle. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:51 pm 

MR T wrote:
I don't know if many people realise that at the moment the legal profession are in the death throes of losing huge amounts of legal-aid...... it is funny that didn't know how to fight a political battle. :shock:

Why would they their experience is based on evidence and procedure and this is a system that is apparently lacking when it comes to politics

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:57 pm 

toots wrote:
MR T wrote:
I don't know if many people realise that at the moment the legal profession are in the death throes of losing huge amounts of legal-aid...... it is funny that didn't know how to fight a political battle. :shock:

Why would they their experience is based on evidence and procedure and this is a system that is apparently lacking when it comes to politics

10 out-of- 10 .... very good ..... now ask yourself the question who are the taxi trade looking to..... to represent them

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:08 am 

:shock:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:18 am 

Would I be warm if I said they wore a gown?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next