Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:14 pm 

MR T wrote:
Chris And that's the man and that's the way he thinks.

That's not entirely true or fair is it!!!

The problem that Munby LJ has and so do all other judges in these cases is that apart from the legislation in force, there is a colossal amount of case law that goes with it.

And as you know case law is never over-ruled by a subsequent judge and on the rare occasions that it has been, the deviating judge always gives reasons why the judgment he/she is giving differs ever so slightly from the case or cases that may have been stated in submissions by counsel during the course of the hearing.

I think if you had an evening with Munby LJ and shared a few bottles of wine with the guy until you were both well sozzled, he might possibly tell you, "You know old boy, I'm well pi$$ed off now with not only the archaic legislation governing taxis and the like, but all the mountains and mountains of never-ending case law that makes things almost impossible to determine!"

Might be an idea to invite the guy as a guest speaker at the forth-coming NTA Conference.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:23 pm 

The point I was making is that he is well converse with hackney and private hire law.... and as for the NTA conference.... will any body be there... you should ask yourself a question... is this a person that might put the public first and the trade second

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:20 am 

MR T wrote:
The point I was making is that he is well converse with hackney and private hire law.... and as for the NTA conference.... will any body be there... you should ask yourself a question... is this a person that might put the public first and the trade second

Have spoken to CC and representatives from the Law Commission WILL be at the NTA AGM in late October.

And as for public first, trade second; isn't that the main point of any legislation - to protect the public?

Are you saying, like many in the trade have since 1847, that the Hackney Carriage trade have a divine right to have legislation drafted and enacted that protects the trade to the detriment of the public?

There has to be a balance in any legislation.

And I would rather have Munby LJ in charge than any other with limited or no knowledge of the trade!!

Brummie Cabbie.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:02 am 

I am extremely pleased that you're happy with everything that is going on... we can all sleep peacefully in our beds.... knowing that the world is at peace.. and our futures are Secure.... I remember the OFT stating that it would be best for the public to be able to haggle when hiring a taxi.... Oh life would be joyful..... the NTA meeting is only of use if people attend and that would mean a damned sight more than normal.... we have a saying..... it's no use heating a empty room....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:54 pm 

MR T wrote:
I am extremely pleased that you're happy with everything that is going on... we can all sleep peacefully in our beds.... knowing that the world is at peace.. and our futures are Secure.... I remember the OFT stating that it would be best for the public to be able to haggle when hiring a taxi.... Oh life would be joyful..... the NTA meeting is only of use if people attend and that would mean a damned sight more than normal.... we have a saying..... it's no use heating a empty room....

Who said I was happy with everything that is going on?

And people do haggle more and more in Brum when hiring a cab, so what's new?

There are too many negative in your thoughts; life isn't a bed of roses, but it ain't that bad.

Brummie Cabbie.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:36 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
MR T wrote:

There are too many negative in your thoughts; life isn't a bed of roses, but it ain't that bad.

Too many negatives in my thoughts ... after 40 years of being in the taxi trade I wonder how that happened.... but just to show you I can be positive...... Remember when everything goes pear-shaped..... I won't be in it..... now that is a positive... :P :P :P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:29 pm 

how many out there are intrested until it bites them.

well the trade needs to get there act together before its to late but will they? "no" until its to late.

The Hackney Association Ltd
bbha@btinternet.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:38 pm 

MR T wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
MR T wrote:

Too many negatives in my thoughts ... after 40 years of being in the taxi trade I wonder how that happened.... but just to show you I can be positive...... Remember when everything goes pear-shaped..... I won't be in it..... now that is a positive... :P :P :P

And over the last 40 years, the cab trade hasn't paid your mortgage, hasn't fed you and your family, hasn't given you a reasonable living, etc., etc., etc.

Brummie Cabbie.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:18 pm 

charles007 wrote:
how many out there are intrested until it bites them.

well the trade needs to get there act together before its to late but will they? "no" until its to late.

I think it's too late.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:24 pm 

There are too many negative in your thoughts; life isn't a bed of roses, but it ain't that bad.[/quote]
Too many negatives in my thoughts ... after 40 years of being in the taxi trade I wonder how that happened.... but just to show you I can be positive...... Remember when everything goes pear-shaped..... I won't be in it..... now that is a positive... :P :P :P[/quote]
And over the last 40 years, the cab trade hasn't paid your mortgage, hasn't fed you and your family, hasn't given you a reasonable living, etc., etc., etc.[/quote]

No I did that... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:19 pm 

charles007 wrote:
I have had two letter sent me this week from a counple of assiaction i now run, about A meeting in August 2011, in Sliver street Bury and my members are asking why an association with over 500 members in the N/west did not get an invite.? the list is pepole there. My reply was" **** **** **** me". i may yet put the list on here.

That'll be me then........but you know I'm good =D>

CC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:16 am 
MR T wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
MR T wrote:

If you've been a cabby for 40 years how can you advocate de-regulation, even as a PH driver you must know more mouths = less wages?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:18 am 

Doom ..you have just made my day.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:28 pm 

Thank you cc for that then though i am not sure what i thanking you for, and yes looking at the list your name was not on there, but would have been better with you there. (just look of what i just said)

The Hackney Association Ltd
bbha@btinternet.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:41 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
At the end of the day most politicians have their own agenda and take little or no account of reasoned argument thats why I stopped representing the trade locally so when push comes to shove and the new law is drafted it will be the interests of the financial supporters of the government whose influence will be greatest wether or not those are from the trade or from other transport areas who would like to see the trades ability to compete diminished is yet to be seen

My personal view is wait and see the draft legislation I doubt the law commission will have much influence on it but I bet the likes of Stagecoach, arriva addison lee delta smmt etc. will

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next