Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:22 am 

toots wrote:
Wow where did my post go :?

when 2 people post at the same time that happens

CC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:27 am 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

CC

:sad: Well I'm not rewriting it again. Basically I was of the opinion that they are taking in the present sense as opposed to the future sense

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:28 am 

toots wrote:
captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

CC

:sad: Well I'm not rewriting it again. Basically I was of the opinion that they are taking in the present sense as opposed to the future sense

that was my understanding of the language used too.

CC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:31 am 
captain cab wrote:
Doom wrote:
"Recommendation 5. We recommend that the Government provide clearer guidance to local authorities on how taxis and PHVs should be included in local transport plans. (Paragraph 21)

Recommendation 7. We agree with the Minister that the licensing of taxis and PHVs should remain a local function, not least because of the likely cost and complexity of instituting a national system. (Paragraph 23)

Recommendation 9. We are sympathetic to the argument that offences relating to taxis and PHVs, such as plying for hire, should be dealt with by fixed penalty notices rather than court action and we recommend that the Government should move in this direction when it comes to reform the legislation in this area. (Paragraph 26)"

There is three examples that suggest the existing format will be retained, otherwise the wording wouldn't be taxis and phv it would be simply one or the other.

That was the select committee.....not law commission.
CC

What are the law commission saying then?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:34 am 

Doom wrote:
captain cab wrote:
Doom wrote:
"Recommendation 5. We recommend that the Government provide clearer guidance to local authorities on how taxis and PHVs should be included in local transport plans. (Paragraph 21)

Recommendation 7. We agree with the Minister that the licensing of taxis and PHVs should remain a local function, not least because of the likely cost and complexity of instituting a national system. (Paragraph 23)

Recommendation 9. We are sympathetic to the argument that offences relating to taxis and PHVs, such as plying for hire, should be dealt with by fixed penalty notices rather than court action and we recommend that the Government should move in this direction when it comes to reform the legislation in this area. (Paragraph 26)"

There is three examples that suggest the existing format will be retained, otherwise the wording wouldn't be taxis and phv it would be simply one or the other.

That was the select committee.....not law commission.
CC

What are the law commission saying then?

They are considering all options and the trade will probably find out on 22 November........they told the NTA they need a very decent argument to retain numbers limitation.

My own feeling is one of them going through the motions, with the act already being in place....a matter of dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

CC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:39 am 

Quote:
They are considering all options and the trade will probably find out on 22 November........they told the NTA they need a very decent argument to retain numbers limitation.

My own feeling is one of them going through the motions, with the act already being in place....a matter of dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

CC

I've thought that too and going through consultation because they have to and not because they are genuinely consulting anybody

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:43 am 
[/quote]

CC[/quote]

I didn't mean de-regulation across the board, I mean a Hack will still be a Hack and a PHV a PHV.

Nobody with a brain cell is going to allow a PHV to sit by a rank and intercept, that is just going to lead to mass fighting, they need to enhance the rules for both sides so the rules are adhered to, do that and the problems will go, de-restricted is just going to trash the whole industry, it's an open door to carpetbaggers and slave masters, if anyone thinks it's bad enough now it'll look like a picnic compared with the future, if you have a say Wayne, educate them to inspect large PH firms and see how the abuse is stacking up on drivers with barons and large radio fees.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:48 am 

Doom wrote:

I didn't mean de-regulation across the board, I mean a Hack will still be a Hack and a PHV a PHV.

Nobody with a brain cell is going to allow a PHV to sit by a rank and intercept, that is just going to lead to mass fighting, they need to enhance the rules for both sides so the rules are adhered to, do that and the problems will go, de-restricted is just going to trash the whole industry, it's an open door to carpetbaggers and slave masters, if anyone thinks it's bad enough now it'll look like a picnic compared with the future, if you have a say Wayne, educate them to inspect large PH firms and see how the abuse is stacking up on drivers with barons and large radio fees.

You could well end up with a 3 tier single tier system like Mr Button advocates........I certainly dont think there'll be any type of numbers control open to councils.

I wish I had more of a say.....but I also wish the entire trade would wake up to what is happening.

If I was to tell you 500 cabs work MCR Airport and they had to go cap in hand to the NTTG because they couldnt raise £4 off each cab for something that would benefit every one of the 500.......that tells you what we're up against.

We do not stand a cat in hells chance......but I like a fight.

CC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:50 am 
captain cab wrote:
Doom wrote:

You could well end up with a 3 tier single tier system like Mr Button advocates........I certainly dont think there'll be any type of numbers control open to councils.

I wish I had more of a say.....but I also wish the entire trade would wake up to what is happening.

If I was to tell you 500 cabs work MCR Airport and they had to go cap in hand to the NTTG because they couldnt raise £4 off each cab for something that would benefit every one of the 500.......that tells you what we're up against.

We do not stand a cat in hells chance......but I like a fight.

CC

I know what you mean, I tried to fight a license hike years ago and it was like being in Paris in 1939.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:53 am 

We live in a capitalist society and restriction is not a capitalist idea at all. Free market and even playing field is the capitalist ideal. You won't come more free market and even playing field than 1 tier. That incidently is far easier to enforce than having 2 sets of laws and R&R. My guess is when they talk about 'local decisions' that will be down to vehicle types and colour codes. At the end of the day being self employed is about working to earn your level of income if you can't do that then you shouldn't rely on the law to ensure you can :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:59 am 

toots wrote:
We live in a capitalist society and restriction is not a capitalist idea at all. Free market and even playing field is the capitalist ideal. You won't come more free market and even playing field than 1 tier. That incidently is far easier to enforce than having 2 sets of laws and R&R. My guess is when they talk about 'local decisions' that will be down to vehicle types and colour codes. At the end of the day being self employed is about working to earn your level of income if you can't do that then you shouldn't rely on the law to ensure you can :wink:

I think you have it in a nutshell.

CC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:03 am 
toots wrote:

Fair point, but I've seen this in action, it leads to swamping and customer service leaving the building, and in todays world it's amplified by the fact that the wrong sort will come running in, as it has in Dublin, as it has in Cardiff but to name two areas, it would be ok if you could walk away any given day, but a 4 year deal on a cab can't just be walked away from, so you end up with unmaintained dirty cars that drivers sleep in as they try to survive taking £3.50p ph.

It's going to be very interesting to say the least, I do hope they employ more police officers and nurses to deal with the effect this is going to have, the cops to stop the fights and the nurses to attend to pedestrians run over by tired drivers and drivers who've ditched the cab while driving asleep.

Tell you one thing though Toots, forget ever using that nearly new cab of yours again as a cab, you will find every takeaway owner down the LO getting plated up, it proves it the way they open up shop next door to each other, they may be able to survive on a cup of rice a day but we can't, and you are one of us rather than them, if they do cock it all up I hope they aren't wanting a good service anymore, best they learn postcode and hope the seat belt is in good condition, and you know I'm telling the truth about the whole situation don't you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:10 am 

High vehicle standards and driver standards is one way to keep undesirables out the trade but current drivers won't ask for this because they don't see the benefit. People are generally good at getting what they deserve and the public will soon realise that if they get into shoddy taxis that is all they'll have available before long. The public pay for the service and if the service isn't up to standard then they won't use it

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:15 am 

There's a few elephants in the room.....they haven't mentioned license fees, these need addressed to encompass the true costs of the regime i.e. enforcement.

They don't know how to address the equality act....which will surely be signed off upon completion.

You haven't had the truth in respect of training....how much it will cost....unfunded with refresher courses.

They do know that the HC trade tends to keep people in....unlike PH which they consider transient......

CC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:28 am 
toots wrote:
High vehicle standards and driver standards is one way to keep undesirables out the trade but current drivers won't ask for this because they don't see the benefit. People are generally good at getting what they deserve and the public will soon realise that if they get into shoddy taxis that is all they'll have available before long. The public pay for the service and if the service isn't up to standard then they won't use it

That works in a perfect world Karen, the reality is drug and prostitution money is buying in, I'm getting foreign drivers telling me they took £350 on a Friday night, and I'm struggling for £60 and the streets are empty, they are laundering and it sticks out a mile, not all btw, it's going to go this way, even if they put nice cars on they won't drive them, the drivers will trash them, the customer will get charged whatever the driver thinks he can charge them, most won't challenge the fare as they will be too scared to and it dives down into no customers and nobody whose any good at the job doing the job, with the latest tech they should simply do away with humans and ask Chipperfields to supply the drivers, can't be that hard to teach a monkey how to press a few buttons and follow a line on the screen can it.

Bye bye Britian, it was nice knowing you, no wonder everyone leaves eventually, I wonder how the Royal Family is going to survive in future tbh, we always supported them, but the future population won't and they will be scarpering back off to Germany before long, that's if Germany is still an option by then, to sum up, we have been infiltrated and there's only one way we as a nation are going to get whats ours back, and it ain't pretty.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next