Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:10 am 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
I agree that drivers may well become very temporary in the trade generally, especially if the new Act creates a Hackney Carriage Operator Licence, similar or identical in operation to the current PH Operator Licence under the LG(MP) Act 1976, without any exclusions as presently under the Scottish Act.

That would eliminate individual, independent drivers, like me and others, allow these new HC Operators to charge the same rentals as PH Operators, in Brum currently £90 to £130 per WEEK, and thereby create mammoth plate barons on a national scale, as HC proprietors and drivers leave the trade in hordes.

WTF?

How would that such a legislative reform change things from the current scenario?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:18 am 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:
they told the NTA they need a very decent argument to retain numbers limitation.

For 25% of the country only. The other 75% have already made that argument.

Yeah but to be fair....the amount of trade in the 75% is sh*te.....well it is now they've knackered it.

CC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:18 pm 
Sussex wrote:
toots wrote:
I think it would become as transient as the ph culture is because drivers wouldn't want to buy in such an uncertain market and would prefer to rent

I think we have had this discussion before, but down here the PH trade ain't at all transient.

If anything it's hackney carriage journeymen that fit you criteria for transiency.

3 weeks is the average life expectancy of a PH driver renting here right now, the barons have schools in Eastern Europe and simply import some more mugs to replace the ones who've gone home having worked it out, some good news though one baron couldn't pay his insurance last week, I believe the firm has bailed him out but it's only a matter of time before he goes belly up for good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:00 am 

Doom wrote:
3 weeks is the average life expectancy of a PH driver renting here right now, the barons have schools in Eastern Europe and simply import some more mugs to replace the ones who've gone home having worked it out, some good news though one baron couldn't pay his insurance last week, I believe the firm has bailed him out but it's only a matter of time before he goes belly up for good.

So are you saying that a driver can get a badge without ever having set foot in the country?

Even if not, could this happen in theory?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:08 am 
Dusty Bin wrote:
Doom wrote:

So are you saying that a driver can get a badge without ever having set foot in the country?

Even if not, could this happen in theory?

100% correct Dusty, it took me back a bit when I heard it, my LO said they apply and take the test online in their own countries, he added he doesn't expect there to be many British drivers licenced in 10 years time when he's due to retire.

I wanted a 2 year residency rule before considering licensing foreign drivers, gives them time to prove if they are good folk or not and time to find their way around, after that I see no reason to not license them, but it stops the baron game of using them, and only the commited will want to get a badge, if you want a real laugh, until recently the LO was supplying an interpreter to take the test with the applicant, you couldn't make it up, only in Britain, hello Mr Hitler and Goering allow us to show you around Number 10 and we have this lovely building you simply must see, it's called Bletchley Park and we have a code machine just like yours that you simply must come see. oh pleeeeese.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:17 am 
Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:
but I also wish the entire trade would wake up to what is happening.

But some of the trade will be in favour of what may be suggested.

And if large chunks of the hackney trade didn't view the PH trade as utter scum, then a unified response may have been a bit more likely.

Well what way would you see someone who thieves your work off the road and undercuts you, doesn't observe road traffic rules such as bus lanes and red lights and touts the work they can't blatantly steal?

I was PH for 11 years and afaic it's a bent and abusive excuse to be self employed, and you can't stop it either, all the issues you mention regularly are caused by PH, if PH didn't pirate then the public wouldn't be in any danger of getting in the wrong car would they, if PH was regul;ated owner barons would be non existant as they would have to come behind the single guy when it comes to getting an available license if the baron already holds one, PH has turned PH into the same as those jobs where they want a man and van and say they pay £140 per day, only they neglect to say you will use a tank of fuel a day and end up with £20 clear per day, blatant mugging, regulation is the way forward it makes it not worth the hassle to the wrong sorts.

The thing that gets me more than anything is the likes of you bang on about quality of driver and service, if you really want that you data crunch, you use a SUD to determine the % of citizens who use a cab, you should then look at the area population and say possibly a 0.5% ratio to set your car limits, so in a city of 20k you could have no more than 100 cars, ample to serve the % of people who actually use a cab rather than walk,bus or drive, or should we have 50 cabs chasing each fare all the time and have a banger cab with a driver who doesn't care a fig, my 0.5% ratio is actually too high, locally it's that and we cannot earn a living anymore, last time we could there were 400 less cars licensed dropping it to about 0.2-3%.

You can't have over supply and service, the two don't go together, as the public seems more concerned right now about being taken the wrong way and overcharged I think it's time we had a good over haul of what a cabbie should look like, starting with a commitment to a good quality low mileage newish car that is maintained well, this can only happen if cabby earns enough money, your way he doesn't stand a chance and hello 200k Pug 406 complete with ripped interior and dented bodywork.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:35 am 

Doom wrote:
100% correct Dusty, it took me back a bit when I heard it, my LO said they apply and take the test online in their own countries, he added he doesn't expect there to be many British drivers licenced in 10 years time when he's due to retire.

I wanted a 2 year residency rule before considering licensing foreign drivers, gives them time to prove if they are good folk or not and time to find their way around, after that I see no reason to not license them, but it stops the baron game of using them, and only the commited will want to get a badge, if you want a real laugh, until recently the LO was supplying an interpreter to take the test with the applicant, you couldn't make it up, only in Britain, hello Mr Hitler and Goering allow us to show you around Number 10 and we have this lovely building you simply must see, it's called Bletchley Park and we have a code machine just like yours that you simply must come see. oh pleeeeese.

](*,)

Skills shortage, innit? :roll:

Agree in general terms with what you say, but I don't know if a two year residency rule would solve the problem rather than just alleviate it a bit.

The fact of the matter is that immigration drives down wages, particularly at the unskilled end of the market like cab driving.

Of course, the powers that be could make cab driving a skilled job if they want to, but sadly most don't seem to want to.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:10 pm 

Doom wrote:

Why are all this folks applying for your manor?

Has your LO not asked himself why your manor is the choice of the world?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:11 pm 

Doom wrote:
Well what way would you see someone who thieves your work off the road and undercuts you, doesn't observe road traffic rules such as bus lanes and red lights and touts the work they can't blatantly steal?

I'm not the one asking for unity.

I'm just saying it ain't going to happen, but wish those foolish enough to try all the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:12 am 
Sussex wrote:
Doom wrote:

I'm not the one asking for unity.

I'm just saying it ain't going to happen, but wish those foolish enough to try all the best.

Ok, fair enough.

To answer your question though, the LO has no control, he's working to rules written before the mass immigration thing started, why the place is so attractive to migrants I just don't know, perhaps some of our council chiefs are getting a personal advantage for taking them in, and I don't mean all our council chiefs by that but we do have some questionable ones in office.

This is why I like you don't like baron's, they do the damage to the trade but just opening the doors to free application won't stop them, it will help them to grow larger until you have a fleet of cabbies on benefits who just about cover their pay in so ONE individual gets rich while thousands scrap for his demands each week all sub'd by the taxpayer.

I know we've always struggled for common ground me and you, but where you are is reasonably affluent, I'm where the coke sniffs freely and the whole place has become a ghetto, as I consider myself a person of vision and experience I can see where others go wrong, I don't need them to go wrong at my expense though, I'll give you an example, seaside town, no seaside entertainment and all the entertainment in one place, this is no tourists and beer fuelled rucks aplenty because they all have nowhere to escape to, same old night out week in week out, still what a bonus, one of the club giants who have helped kill the place has just gone into administration, that's what happens when you exchange 200 ppl per night spending £50 each for 1000 ppl who spend £4 each and arrive already near their limit, I had a chat a few years ago with one of their hobknobs and he said he wasn't worried about the smoking ban as ppl always want to have sex, well, online dating has put a pin in that thinking hasn't it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6