Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:28 pm 

Yes probally think your right there, the other major point being the safety one.Me personally i dont think i could handle nights in a saloon,its bad enough in a wav.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:59 pm 

Sussex wrote:
I think Richard is making a valid point.

We can all moan and groan on TDO, about this, that and the other, including the flawed maths used, but people need to respond with their views direct to the Law Commission before the 10th August 2012.

Replying to what is in the Law Commission's survey is not a problem.... it is what is not in it that draws massive concerns... seeing as how it is supposed to be relating to hackney and private hire law (new laws), for instance private hire are supposed to be the vast majority of vehicle providers... so why do they not ask whether or not private hire companies should be responsible for providing wheelchair accessible vehicles to their customers ..... you can't really call this an open consultation when people do not know that it even exists.....

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:04 am 

MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:
I think Richard is making a valid point.

We can all moan and groan on TDO, about this, that and the other, including the flawed maths used, but people need to respond with their views direct to the Law Commission before the 10th August 2012.

Replying to what is in the Law Commission's survey is not a problem.... it is what is not in it that draws massive concerns... seeing as how it is supposed to be relating to hackney and private hire law (new laws), for instance private hire are supposed to be the vast majority of vehicle providers... so why do they not ask whether or not private hire companies should be responsible for providing wheelchair accessible vehicles to their customers ..... you can't really call this an open consultation when people do not know that it even exists.....

That's the best point made so far by far!!

Why should PH be excluded from WAV legislation, bearing in mind that the preferred mode of hiring by wheelchair users is by telephoning for a licensed vehicle?

More to the point, does a certain now infamous, London PH operator have a further £100,000 to allegedly donate to a political party to omit such terrible, PH affecting changes to licensed vehicle legislation?

I don't think the consultation is limited to the provisional proposals and question from the LC; IMO they're just the main topics that the LC want answered. Surely they will listen to other well structured submissions?

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:23 am 

blackpool wrote:
Blackpool ? You can put any vehicle you want on as a hackney but the majority are, you guessed it wavs

Well I find that slightly odd, but in view of the supposed similar situation in Sefton perhaps it's a north-west thing :wink:

But what about a place like Brighton - how many of the non-WAV HC plates run purpose-builts or WAVs?

Indeed, how many PH are WAVs - why should they be any different in attitude from the HC side?

According to the DfT stats Sefton has nearly 2,700 PH, with only three WAVs :shock:

And I suspect that many PH WAVs are bought for their extra seats rather than because they want to appear a 'proper' taxi driver [-(

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:28 am 

captain cab wrote:
blackpool wrote:
Few reasons i think,there instantly recognisable , get quite a few 4,5,6 seater jobs,and there up to the job as they take some hammering.I dont suppose there a neccesity everywhere but here people have a choice and still choose them.

I tend to think, whether rightly or wrongly, the purpose built cab give the air of professionalism, it certainly does in respect of the driver, presumably because its a vehicle of work?

Don't really see that myself, depends on all the circumstances really.

For example, maybe if you're comparing a good quality TX with ten-year-old Astra HC, say.

But on the other hand, a good quality saloon with a smartly-attired driver, compared to an FX4 with a driver in a shellsuit, advertising, a bad attitude and driving skills to match and it's a no-contest surely? :D

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:27 am 

I visit Bath regularly.

Since the change in regulations, the fleet of WAVs has dropped every year.

After all, who spends £27,000, when £12,00 will buy a Skoda that does most of the Hacks Work. Also the Skodas use considerably less fuel, per mile, that any of the WAVs do.

Less to buy, less to run, less to Tax, less to maintain, but can't do the 5's, 6's and 7's. Cost wise the Economic Case for the WAV is lost.

How much would your business lose if it couldn't take more than 4 Punters in the Cab and anyway the next lot coming along the street will probably be a smaller group?

So, you buy it for less, it costs you less to run, you cannot accomodate some customers, but you earn about the same.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:09 pm 

Dusty Bin wrote:
blackpool wrote:
Blackpool ? You can put any vehicle you want on as a hackney but the majority are, you guessed it wavs

Well I find that slightly odd, but in view of the supposed similar situation in Sefton perhaps it's a north-west thing :wink:

But what about a place like Brighton - how many of the non-WAV HC plates run purpose-builts or WAVs?

Indeed, how many PH are WAVs - why should they be any different in attitude from the HC side?

According to the DfT stats Sefton has nearly 2,700 PH, with only three WAVs :shock:

And I suspect that many PH WAVs are bought for their extra seats rather than because they want to appear a 'proper' taxi driver [-(

In Sefton we can put on any vehicle we like.... where I am it's mainly wheelchair accessible vehicles..... but if they derestrict numbers I can see that all changing. the competition will force the necessary changes... which will be replace with saloon vehicles.... or abandon Sefton and licence in Liverpool....... and I wonder how long the council will be able to insist on the knowledge test for hackney use...... after all the Law Society are saying there's no need for private hire to have one. satellite navigation systems can be installed in hackneys as well..... the disabled groups will be left without transport again....

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:22 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Having just read through all the replies on this thread 2 things spring to mind

1) I don't think wrinting the taxi law equivalent of war and peace is the way to go surely some carefully worded and reasonably short answers to questions and explanations of perceived flaws are much better I doubt the LC will read the tolstoy epics but they might the short story version

2) And as someone who drives the ONLY Wav in an area which is essentially 100% saloon car hackneys I do not believe that WAV only policies are good for the trade the customers would much rather a largely saloon car fleet with a few larger vehicles available for when they have prams,bikes,furniture or too many kids to fit in a saloon car

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:26 pm 

edders23 wrote:

1) I don't think wrinting the taxi law equivalent of war and peace is the way to go surely some carefully worded and reasonably short answers to questions and explanations of perceived flaws are much better I doubt the LC will read the tolstoy epics but they might the short story version

2) And as someone who drives the ONLY Wav in an area which is essentially 100% saloon car hackneys I do not believe that WAV only policies are good for the trade the customers would much rather a largely saloon car fleet with a few larger vehicles available for when they have prams,bikes,furniture or too many kids to fit in a saloon car
The Law Society are asking the trade to convince them of what should happen.... not simply asking for yes or no answers.
you might well be correct about wheelchair accessible vehicles in your area but you would be totally wrong in Sefton..... that is why councils need to have the ability to act independently.....

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:45 pm 

We all know why the law society is suggesting that licensing officers have greater powers... they will need them, after the mess they leave the trade in... might I suggest stab proof vests , battens and riot Shiels..... with the odd water cannon.....

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:38 pm 

Nothing against you at all captaincab , I just think WAV's only on ranks and WAV's only to be hailed.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:02 pm 

MR T wrote:
edders23 wrote:

The Law Society are asking the trade to convince them of what should happen.... not simply asking for yes or no answers.
you might well be correct about wheelchair accessible vehicles in your area but you would be totally wrong in Sefton..... that is why councils need to have the ability to act independently.....

Why are the Law Society now involved in this consultation?

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:22 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
which of the following understands taxi law best ?

a) the law society
b) politicians
c) skippy

Taxi law is very complicated to change it even more so thats why consultation is needed the question we perhaps should be asking ourselves is would we rather it was left solely in the hands of politicians

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:02 pm 

edders23 wrote:
which of the following understands taxi law best ?

a) the law society
b) politicians
c) skippy

Taxi law is very complicated to change it even more so thats why consultation is needed the question we perhaps should be asking ourselves is would we rather it was left solely in the hands of politicians

What about d) taxi drivers ?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:48 pm 

andycable wrote:
Nothing against you at all captaincab , I just think WAV's only on ranks and WAV's only to be hailed.

So no customer choice with hailing or ranks then? Is it any wonder that customers choose to ring private hire :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next