Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: LC: Taxis & Localism
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:25 am 

The following are the references to Localism within the LC consultation paper, they seem a tad confused as to what localism actually is!

2.8 The very local nature of the application of taxi and private hire licensing itself raises certain issues. Most taxi journeys are short, but many private hire vehicles are used on longer trips (for example airport drop-off and pick-ups). Devolved decision making on the application of the legislation is beneficial in that local authorities are in the best position to determine what is needed most in their area and what the main problems and issues are. It is also consistent with the current drive towards localism. However, opponents argue that application of the law is inconsistent, fragmented and patchy, increasing complexities for those who provide services in more than one local authority area.

8.6 The intense localism of the current licensing system means that areas which require lower standards, have lower fees or less enforcement may attract licensees who have little other connection with that licensing authority. This can be a particular problem for authorities that are perceived as “honey-pots”, like London or Liverpool for example, which attract vehicles licensed elsewhere.

15.36 There are precedents for amalgamating local authorities in respect of particular functions and boundaries do not necessarily have to be the same for all functions of local authorities. The Local Transport Act 2008 introduced powers for the creation of new Integrated Transport Authorities and to change the constitutional arrangements in existing ones. Under such arrangements functions of the Secretary of State, or of the local authority, can be delegated to the Integrated Transport Authority. A key benefit of this system is that it provides an integrated approach to public transport across a larger conurbation. This facilitates a more coherent provision of public transport across a larger area than would be possible by individual councils. A new broader power is conferred on Integrated Transport Authorities by the Localism Act 2011. The idea of combining local authorities for particular purposes was also a feature of the Local Democracy, Economic Development and Construction Act 2009.

Post subject: Re: LC: Taxis & Localism
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:35 am 

Foreword

“The time has come to disperse power more widely in Britain today.”

The Prime Minister and the Deputy Prime Minister, Coalition Agreement, May 2010

For too long, central government has hoarded and concentrated power.

Trying to improve people’s lives by imposing decisions, setting targets and demanding inspections from Whitehall simply doesn’t work. It creates bureaucracy. It leaves no room for adaptation to reflect local circumstances or innovation to deliver services more effectively and at lower cost. And it leaves people feeling ‘done to’ and imposed upon - the very opposite of the sense of participation and involvement on which a healthy democracy thrives.

I have long believed there is a better way of doing things. Eight years ago I wrote a book called Total Politics which set out the case for a huge shift in power - from central Whitehall, to local public servants, and from bureaucrats to communities and individuals.

Today, I am proud to be part of a Government putting this vision into practice.

We think that the best means of strengthening society is not for central government to try and seize all the power and responsibility for itself. It is to help people and their locally elected representatives to achieve their own ambitions. This is the essence of the Big Society.

We have already begun to pass power back to where it belongs. We are cutting central targets on councils, easing the burden of inspection, and reducing red tape. We are breaking down the barriers that stop councils, local charities, social enterprises and voluntary groups getting things done for themselves.

But we can go a lot further by changing the law. The Localism Bill was published in December 2010. It sets out a series of proposals with the potential to achieve a substantial and lasting shift in power away from central government and towards local people. They include: new freedoms and flexibilities for local government; new rights and powers for communities and individuals; reform to make the planning system more democratic and more effective, and reform to ensure that decisions about housing are taken locally.

This document summarises each of the main ideas proposed in the Bill, and explains the overall difference that they could make. I am looking forward to a great debate about them in parliament over the coming months.

I also hope to see a debate in the wider country - among councils, community groups, volunteers, social activists and many more people - about how they can seize the opportunities this historic Bill represents, and use the rights and freedoms it offers to make a difference in their community.

Rt Hon Greg Clark MP, Minister of State for Decentralisation

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:36 am 

The only conclusion we can draw from the foreword above is that it was actually bullsh*t.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:17 pm 

See they mention in the report about a number of authorities amalgamating into unitary authorities, but did those councils trade down in standards?

I very much doubt they did, but even if they did, it was a local decision to do so.

However in my view localism has failed in relation to quotas. :sad:

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:43 pm 

Sussex wrote:
See they mention in the report about a number of authorities amalgamating into unitary authorities, but did those councils trade down in standards?

I very much doubt they did, but even if they did, it was a local decision to do so.

However in my view localism has failed in relation to quotas. :sad:

So if they derestricted nationwide you would fully support localism?

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:55 pm 

We have put up a "First take" on the documents on the PLTA website. I make no apology for it being as we see it as directly affecting Hackney Drivers in our own locale.

We will certainly be updating it as we go on, as we understand more of it.

If you want a look it is not restricted to members and you will find it here http://www.plta.org.uk/ - don't forget to click on the "more" button when you get there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:21 pm 

toots wrote:

If something is wrong, then I really couldn't give a toss who made the decision.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:17 am 

Sussex wrote:
toots wrote:

If something is wrong, then I really couldn't give a toss who made the decision.

That isn't what I asked you

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:19 am 

Chris the Fish wrote:
We have put up a "First take" on the documents on the PLTA website. I make no apology for it being as we see it as directly affecting Hackney Drivers in our own locale.

We will certainly be updating it as we go on, as we understand more of it.

If you want a look it is not restricted to members and you will find it here http://www.plta.org.uk/ - don't forget to click on the "more" button when you get there.

Personally I think it will do more damage to the ph trade than to the taxi trade although it follows if the ph is [edited by admin] poor by way of regulation then taxis will suffer too