Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:33 pm 

Dusty Bin wrote:
Oh, so the Wirral knowledge test was watered down, was it. Funny how that's never mentioned when earnings and HC numbers are being discussed. A bit like a certain reticence regarding the 'free market' in Sefton. Must be a Merseyside thing

It was watered down but not at the request of the trade and I'm sure it's been mentioned on here before. Personally I thought the original test was easy enough I can't think why they'd need to water it down :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:42 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Dusty Bin wrote:

I don't get your point - everyone seems to be agreeing that such checks should be retained.

Retained? .........I didnt suggest the LC were going to do otherwise, I merely suggested there isnt actually an area in the country that hasnt a standard in place.

Is it just me, or can anyone else explain the point CC is making here?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:58 pm 

Dusty Bin wrote:
Is it just me, or can anyone else explain the point CC is making here?

Captain Cab wrote:
Its the dates that bug me tbh

I think it's about 27 years, but, as CC says it's daft really. One has to ask how much 'research' has the LC really done?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:50 pm 

Can't really see the relevance of the dates or what's wrong with the two statements, which are entirely consistent with what the LC is claiming and indeed with each other, albeit that they're dealing with two slight different issues.

So I think it is just me then :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:20 pm 

Dusty Bin wrote:
Can't really see the relevance of the dates or what's wrong with the two statements, which are entirely consistent with what the LC is claiming and indeed with each other, albeit that they're dealing with two slight different issues.

So I think it is just me then :lol:

I think it's more to do with the fact that in CCs opinion the LC hasn't really done proper research, they've just used google and asked a few ph spivs what they think :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:27 am 

Still falling for right wing Daily Mail Liverpool rumour?!
No wonder the trade is in mess.
Look at who is representing the trade in this consultation period.
The usual suspects who have led us to the precipice.
How about an open forum?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:08 am 

An open forum?

It is an open forum (and I don't mean just on TDO).

You can go to any of the meetings that are being held, hosting the LC (though you do have to pay to cover venue, catering etc.).

You can (and should) put in a response of your own. You can send it direct to the LC, but nothing stops you from "publishing", perhaps on here at TDO if you wish.

You can (and should) make joint responses, either via an Association, Union or whatever, even a group of like minded colleagues perhaps.

What makes you think it isn't open?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:49 pm 

Don't get me wrong TDO is a good forum, but I'm a member of Unite 680 who has been ostracised and was not not even told about the meeting. Probably because I do have much to say. However, how are the rank and file supposed to air their views?
It seems that only organisations are invited to sit at meetings, which is my point really.
Same old faces, same old voices, all with their own agendas.
I've no time for most of my branch members now but it is they who like to think they know best and get the front row seats.
Pure politics if you ask me.
Surely the LC have to accept that local control must be the way forward as areas differ?
I do feel that the lack of forward thinking within the HC trade is to blame, while the PH have moved with the times.
This puts them in a good light with the free market system thinking LC.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:59 pm 

fatnuggit wrote:
Don't get me wrong TDO is a good forum, but I'm a member of Unite 680 who has been ostracised and was not not even told about the meeting. Probably because I do have much to say. However, how are the rank and file supposed to air their views?
It seems that only organisations are invited to sit at meetings, which is my point really.
I've no time for most of my branch members now but it is they who like to think they know best and get the front row seats.
Surely the LC have to accept that local control must be the way forward as areas differ?
I do feel that the lack of forward thinking within the HC trade is to blame, while the PH have moved with the times.

http://lawcommission.justice.gov.uk/con ... s/1804.htm

Click on the above link, read, download the files at the bottom of the page, read the downloads and reply to the consultation.

Everyone has the same chance to reply; there are no caveats on the law Commission website as to who can and who cannot reply and contribute to the consultation.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:23 pm 

fatnuggit wrote:
I'm a member of Unite 680 who has been ostracised and was not not even told about the meeting.

Why not organise your own?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:16 pm 

fatnuggit wrote:

If you want to speak to the Law Commission, you'll have your chance very shortly, you need to speak to Tony mullane Liverpool City driver who has organised a meeting with them in Liverpool this month....He is representing the Liverpool taxi owners and drivers, it's a shame that they don't know this but that's the way it's played. or speak with your mate Richie from Sefton, they know the details of where and when.... hope this helps. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:27 pm 

fatnuggit wrote:
How about an open forum?

What like TDO? :?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:33 pm 

fatnuggit wrote:
how are the rank and file supposed to air their views?

You print off the list of questions, 16 pages, and circulate those to as many drivers as possible. Or just print off a zillion cards with TDO's web address on.

I know it shouldn't be down to you, but sometimes we all have to try and get the trade mobilized.

And that's for all sides of the debate.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:08 pm 

Thanks fellas. Sorry to sound negative but it's not a Liverpool issue, it's everyone's issue and there should be as much campaigning for this as there was for CBH.
It just seems to be in house to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:32 pm 

fatnuggit wrote:
It just seems to be in house to me.

I was of that opinion, but not so much now.

I think the Law Commission are going out of their way to speak to as many people within the trade as they can.

However I'm not that convinced as to how much of an effect it will have. :-k

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next