Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:35 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
I don’t suppose for one minute that the 44.2% non-renewal rate for driver’s licences has anything remotely to do with the medieval serfdoms that these drivers are subjected to by the PH operators in the capital!!

:doubt: :doubt: :doubt: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Partly, and also down to the fact that because entry criteria is basically two legs and a pulse, anyone thinks they can do the job and earn bundles, when in fact they are wrong on both counts.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:36 pm 

MR T wrote:
Had an interesting conversation regarding one of the bigger private hire companies in Sefton, it would seem they have to replace approximately 100 drivers a week... which would fall in with figures from another thread, suggesting Sefton has five thousands new hire drivers each year.

Madness, f***ing madness. :sad:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:20 pm 

Sussex wrote:
If their cross border proposals get adopted then punters will have a choice.

What choice does it give to customers that they don't already have?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:31 pm 

toots wrote:
Sussex wrote:

What choice does it give to customers that they don't already have?

My point is that customers do have a choice now, should they shop around, the LC say they don't.

If the LC's proposals on CBH are enacted, but councils are still allowed to set their own PH criteria, then the LC's get what they want, and I get what I want.

So the answer to your question is none, but the LC aren't yet convinced.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:48 am 

Sussex wrote:

What benefit would their cross border proposals have for punters?

Punters already have the choice of phoning which ever PH operator they choose.

That coupled with the right of any PH operator to transfer a booking to any other PH operator in the country [which I agree with] should be sufficient for the purpose of running a PH business.

The LC's ideas of allowing a PH operator in LA Z to engage a PH driver licensed in LA Y and probably driving a PHV licensed in LA X make no sense at all.

Why would you want a set-up like that, unless as a PH operator you would intentionally wish to 'muddy the waters' so that accountability and enforcement would be more difficult to control?

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:06 am 

Sussex wrote:
If the LC's proposals on CBH are enacted, but councils are still allowed to set their own PH criteria, then the LC's get what they want, and I get what I want.

That's a big 'But' considering the LCs intentions are not to allow councils to set their own criteria for ph

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:19 am 

toots wrote:
Sussex wrote:

That's a big 'But' considering the LCs intentions are not to allow councils to set their own criteria for ph

PH will simply all licence wherever is cheapest and easiest. With cross border hiring and bargain basement licensing, they will just bankrupt anyone operating under a regime with better standards.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:36 am 

gusmac wrote:
toots wrote:
Sussex wrote:

PH will simply all licence wherever is cheapest and easiest. With cross border hiring and bargain basement licensing, they will just bankrupt anyone operating under a regime with better standards.

I said as much to Mr P when I met him, the same as the ph drivers who would do just same and in all honesty who could blame them, why pay more for the same s***.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:41 am 
gusmac wrote:
toots wrote:
Sussex wrote:

=D> =D> =D> +1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:49 am 

Doom wrote:

=D> =D> =D> +1

HC would do exactly the same if it could :sad:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:52 am 
captain cab wrote:
Doom wrote:

=D> =D> =D> +1

HC would do exactly the same if it could :sad:

TBH any Hack who thinks nicking one from next door is a good idea is a nut imo, ok if you are licensed in one horse town and the city is next door you might think it a good idea, but generally all it will do is create pack mentality.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:54 am 

Doom wrote:

TBH any Hack who thinks nicking one from next door is a good idea is a nut imo, ok if you are licensed in one horse town and the city is next door you might think it a good idea, but generally all it will do is create pack mentality.

May I point out that more Liverpool HC drivers were caught illegally plying in Sefton.....than Sefton drivers were caught plying in Liverpool during the last swoop.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:36 am 

captain cab wrote:
Doom wrote:

May I point out that more Liverpool HC drivers were caught illegally plying in Sefton.....than Sefton drivers were caught plying in Liverpool during the last swoop.

But isn't that a 'we'll do it in your manor, because you're doing it in our manor' mentality.

If licensing officers had the powers to seize and permanently confiscate transgressing vehicles, that would stop yesterday!!!

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:28 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
If licensing officers had the powers to seize and permanently confiscate transgressing vehicles, that would stop yesterday!!!

What if the vehicle isn't theirs?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:29 pm 

toots wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:

What if the vehicle isn't theirs?

Then their would be a very pi$$ed off baron somewhere..........