Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:42 am 

captain cab wrote:
Dusty Bin wrote:

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be signing it. [-(

But you wouldnt sign it anyway, regardless of who started it.

Why do you think that?

The wording of the petition is largely meaningless waffle that anyone could subscribe to irrespective of their position, unless of course they think the LC is the best thing since sliced bread.

I might have considered signing it if it hadn't been authored by a plate baron, and I could just about have written it myself, although clearly our positions on the issues are very different.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:44 am 

Dusty Bin wrote:
[

although clearly our positions on the issues are very different.

opposite is very different, I'll grant you that. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:49 am 

Dusty Bin wrote:
I might have considered signing it if it hadn't been authored by a plate baron

I can understand anybody not wanting to help a plate baron but at the end of the day the plate baron put the petition there and unless people either start another petition or sign the current one the LC will continue it's clean sweep of the taxi/ph trade without so much as care as to the results of their endevours. Just a thought

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:51 am 

Richard Gawith wrote:
The consultation paper as it stands effects wholesale change to the taxi and private hire trades when only a tightening up of both trades is required. It is a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

The benefits it creates do not outweigh the damage and harm it causes socially, environmentally and financially.

Whilst I believe the Law Commission means well, I do not believe they have the understanding or knowledge of the trades to make informed recommendations and decisions.

I therefore respectfully ask the House to debate this issue forthwith.

Clearly Mr Gawith is alluding to restricted taxi numbers, but I could quite easily apply his wording to the proposal to 'deregulate' the PH trade.

Not really sure if there's a lot of point in the Commons debating it at this point though, since there'll be plenty of opportunity for that if a Bill is presented to Parliament.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:56 am 

toots wrote:
I can understand anybody not wanting to help a plate baron but at the end of the day the plate baron put the petition there and unless people either start another petition or sign the current one the LC will continue it's clean sweep of the taxi/ph trade without so much as care as to the results of their endevours. Just a thought

Indeed, but I doubt if Parliament will debate it at this point anyway, or whether there's a lot of point in having a debate at this point.

The politicians will just say that it's at the consultation stage, so there's no point in discussing it until there's something more concrete in the pipeline.

At this stage it's probably a better idea just to get on with a submission to the consultation rather than hoping that Parliament will stage a debate on it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:09 am 

Dusty Bin wrote:
toots wrote:

Indeed, but I doubt if Parliament will debate it at this point anyway, or whether there's a lot of point in having a debate at this point.

The politicians will just say that it's at the consultation stage, so there's no point in discussing it until there's something more concrete in the pipeline.

At this stage it's probably a better idea just to get on with a submission to the consultation rather than hoping that Parliament will stage a debate on it.

Yeah I guess so, lets hope somebody gets the timing right :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:24 am 

Cant see whats to debate.

The LC have undertook the job, whether people like it or not.

They'd be a lot better off giving me money so I can spend it on things

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:13 am 

Number of signatures: