It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:44 pm 

Joint union release: Tax drivers warn deregulation will destroy their industry

Unite, RMT, GMB press release

For immediate release: 9 July 2012

Attention: news, business, transport, political and London media

Tax drivers warn deregulation will destroy their industry

Hundreds of taxi drivers from across the country will hold a lobby of parliament on Tuesday, 10 July to warn that deregulation of the industry could lead to higher fares and unsafe practices.

Taxi drivers belonging to Unite, GMB and RMT unions, who have Hackney Carriage and private hire drivers in their combined membership, will meet with MPs at the Houses of Parliament at 2pm.

The government has asked the Law Commission to review taxi and private hire service’s legislation with a view to reforming it, despite the Transport Select Committee advising against any changes. The Law Commission is considering merging taxis and private hire vehicles (PHVs) as much as possible, even suggesting that private hire vehicles should be able to ply for hire at set times, nights and weekends. This means members of the public would be able to wave them down on the street. Taxi driver union members believe that this could increase risks to the public by making it easier for criminals to pose as taxi drivers.

Unions also warn that fares could increase as deregulation of the market would lead to removal of price controls. The unions are also calling for licensing to remain a local function. Taxis and PHVs should feature more prominently in local transport plans and government should issue guidance to local authorities about how to ensure they do.

Unite assistant general secretary, Diana Holland said:

"Unions have launched a major campaign to stop the Law Commission destroying the UK taxi trade. The deregulation of the taxi industry will mean less choice in the market meaning higher fares, and a worse service which is less safe for the public.

"Today taxi drivers from across the country will be urging MPs to listen to their concerns because they know their trade and they want a successful industry which provides a decent living and a great service for customers."

RMT general secretary,Bob Crow said:

“The licensed taxi industry is under unprecedented attack through deregulation and a systematic attempt to water down standards and rules that have served the public so well down the years.

“The total contempt that has been shown to the taxi industry through their exclusion from the Olympics transport plan and their banning from Olympic lanes is a scandal and this lobby will give politicians a chance to hear directly from the taxi drivers themselves.”

Mick Rix, GMB national officer for the transport sector, said :

"The proposals by the Law Commission on the taxi industry will damage and destroy the taxi industry. The House of Commons Transport Select Committee last year published a report that would have enabled taxi transport in the UK to be held as a beacon to the rest of the world. It would have brought a safer, and more passenger friendly industry.

"The current proposals by the Law Commision, on behalf of the government, have ignored the cross party Transport Select Committee proposals. The Law Commission proposals will destroy the tremendous passenger safety culture, established over many years in the industry. The proposals will also potentially lead to more women being put at risk to assault and attack who have to travel late at night, by unlicensed and unregulated drivers. The government should follow the proposals put forward by the cross party committee of experts that make up the Transport Select Committee. These proposals have found favour by many in the industry, the trade unions, and the licensing authorities.

"The last time the Tories where in power, they nearly destroyed the railway industry, this time they may be supporting proposals by the Law Commission, which will destroy our great taxi industry. We want MPs to understand, that GMB taxi drivers are incensed at the proposals to destroy the taxi industry, and urge all MP's and the government to support the common sense approach adopted by the experts of the Transport Select Committee with knowledge of the taxi industry, and to reject these daft, unsafe and dangerous proposals from the Law Commission, and consign them to the dustbin of history for all time."

ENDS

Contacts

Unite: Ciaran Naidoo on 07768 931 315

RMT: Geoff Martin on 07831 465 103

GMB: Steve Pryle 07921 289 880 or Mick Rix on 07971 268 343

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:48 pm 

A couple of points.

You'd really think these f*ckwits would get our name right....we're taxi drivers, not tax drivers ffs.

And the list of names;

Unite.....aka bus drivers

RMT.....aka train drivers

GMB.....errm, boilermakers....do we make boilers anymore?

Sorry to say this but each morning my backside extracts more knowledge of the cab trade than those thick c*nts....then I flush and learn more.

If they want a few education lessons, they know who I am and where I am.

CC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:37 pm 
At least the topic is raised though CC, let them warm the bed and then we can pile in and really warm things up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:40 pm 

Doom wrote:
At least the topic is raised though CC, let them warm the bed and then we can pile in and really warm things up.

I'm a little picky who I share my bed with tbh - I always seem to be the one left with no covers.

I'll do my own thing - at least then I can look in the mirror and blame me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:44 pm 
captain cab wrote:
Doom wrote:

I'm a little picky who I share my bed with tbh - I always seem to be the one left with no covers.

I'll do my own thing - at least then I can look in the mirror and blame me.

Absolutely, and you have to understand because of who you are others will want to keep you out of it, you must've noticed they don't really want anyone who might know the truth to be involved, and even our own troops will infight as the select committee decides whose getting the medals and a bronze bust of them outside LTi HQ.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:58 pm 

Doom wrote:
Absolutely, and you have to understand because of who you are others will want to keep you out of it, you must've noticed they don't really want anyone who might know the truth to be involved, and even our own troops will infight as the select committee decides whose getting the medals and a bronze bust of them outside LTi HQ.

Yeah, but I've actually been writing for the better part of 18 months warning people - in absolute fairness to those that disagree with me (and by that on here I mean Sussex, TDO & Gus (whose been like a true gent relatively quiet on an english affair) even they have been warning of the results of change - I suppose its of no consequence, but its good for the soul - and whilst it'll make some puke I actually respect them more for that.

Sadly, the trade aint changed in 18 months - I guess it aint changed in 180 years - its full of the mentality that shouting means intelligence.

Thats why we're here - now how we resolve it is a different matter.

Personally I think this thing tommorrow is of little consequence - the LC will rightly say its still at consultation - the government will say they involved the law commission because they're independent - my guess is tommorrow night you'll have a few cab drivers with hang overs wondering how they lost a days wages.

Because when unions get involved they take things over and dont actually sit back and consider things - we lose - a little like a chap with lots of plates and lots of money to lose starting a petition - good for his soul but would have had more effdect if someone who actually had a house to lose had taken it on. lots of money - lack of brains.

They know where I am - they have my number - but I dont do things for free anymore and the price is going up by the day.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:15 am 
Very true.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:25 am 

It seems to me, some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

The LC are f*cking about with volunteer drivers, then say the cost may put people off volunteering if they're brought into the licensing function.

What the f*ck.....are they saying £50 is too much....a pound per week?

Yet they are the ones determining the licensing function.

Is it beyond theyre comprehension that most of us dont actually want to affect volunteer drivers, but we do want to see councils make sure our kids are not taken home by p*edos?

Do an enhanced check at cost, give them a "I am not a kiddie f*ddler badge" and get on with it.....dont trust the companies to do it because they are private companies in for a profit.......and profits dictate above service.

ffs....these c*nts are trying to remake something they aint got a clue about.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:35 am 
I think one major flaw in them is economics

They desire to drive fares down, as fares with the exception of London aren't high anyway I don't know what they are expecting,

Here's the breakdown of their desires,

Buy a WAV = £32000

Insure Cab = £1000 - £6000 pa

Fuel cost @ £6.30p per 25 miles for a WAV 35 miles for a saloon

Sit out all day and do 8 £4 jobs

Where do they honestly think the cash is coming from, the basics of their plan will mean the oldest eligible vehicles run on a shoe string driven by someone on benefits, because no one else will be able to consider it as a career to actually be able to live, all great when you're on £200k pa to play god with the corn feed isn't it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:43 am 

Doom wrote:
I think one major flaw in them is economics

They desire to drive fares down, as fares with the exception of London aren't high anyway I don't know what they are expecting,

Here's the breakdown of their desires,

Buy a WAV = £32000

Insure Cab = £1000 - £6000 pa

Fuel cost @ £6.30p per 25 miles for a WAV 35 miles for a saloon

Sit out all day and do 8 £4 jobs

Where do they honestly think the cash is coming from, the basics of their plan will mean the oldest eligible vehicles run on a shoe string driven by someone on benefits, because no one else will be able to consider it as a career to actually be able to live, all great when you're on £200k pa to play god with the corn feed isn't it.

The major flaw has been no true reference as to how fares are arrived at.

IMO taxi fares throughout the country are based on guesswork.....theres no national formula and the LC missing that is astonishing. If you follow my logic through we would need to go back decades; if fares were originally based on some obscure calculation.....then every percentage increase every since has been a further miscalculation.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:45 pm 

Has anyone mentioned the ending of price setting for the taxi trade?

Other than these unions?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:52 pm 

Oh and despite the rebel rousing anti Tory rhetoric coming from these unions, it ain't going to help those cabbies with Tory MPs.

But the unions getting involved had nothing to do with the issues at hand, just a crusade to increase membership.

Nothing wrong with that, but a bit of honesty wouldnt go a miss.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:31 pm 

Sussex wrote:

But the unions getting involved had nothing to do with the issues at hand, just a crusade to increase membership.

Nothing wrong with that, but a bit of honesty wouldnt go a miss.

I agree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:42 pm 

Personally. I wish the unions all the best.... three major unions should put 3 or 4000 people in the right place.... but we will have to see how many turn up.. and I am glad that I haven't gone..... it gets boring after a while.... but doom is right the more the merrier... this is only the start..... :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:17 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Has anyone mentioned the ending of price setting for the taxi trade?

Other than these unions?

Don't you mean:

Sussex wrote:
Has anyone fabricated some ill-informed, self-serving and scaremongering nonsense about the ending of price setting for the taxi trade?

Other than these unions?