Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:23 pm 

Ignore those with big gobs, and their made up facts.

Concentrate on the issues, and detailed facts that are backed up with evidence.

That's all. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:29 pm 

Yeah, lets stick to the facts.

The lack of quality time with the family
The domestic rows
the insecurity about the family future.
The marriage break ups.
the health problems
The cab reposessions
The suicides.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:43 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Yeah, lets stick to the facts.

The lack of quality time with the family
The domestic rows
the insecurity about the family future.
The marriage break ups.
the health problems
The cab reposessions
The suicides.

But what causes that?

Does none of the above happen in restricted areas?

In my restricted area we have had two suicides in the last 24 months, one a PH driver that had recently lost his mum, and a taxi journeymen that had split with his wife. :sad:

In and adjoining de-restricted area there have also been two suicides in the last 24 months, one a taxi multi-plate owner who had many sad problems not related to the trade, and another ex taxi firm boss who again had many sad problems not related to the trade.

If the LC's PH proposals go through, in relation to PH standards, then that will lead to far more drivers having the difficulties you list above, but none of those at the lobby give/gave a f*** about that.

It was taxi plate premiums, taxi plate premiums and more about taxi plate premiums. :sad:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:58 pm 

Sussex wrote:
But what causes that?

Taxi deregulation apparently, I was quoting from a report, one that the Law commission appear to have missed, presumably when you've been given a deregulatory brief - it might not suit the argument if you cite such side effects.

A little like quoting three or four people from a report - but missing one key chap from the same seminar who told the assembled audience something which may have been against their own views - so he wasn't mentioned.

From memory it was the same meeting the two English estate agents were at when they were being rather nice about Milton Freidman - they didn't go as far as suggesting his chicago school had destroyed central and south america - or the fact that the regimes they assisted were actually military dictatorships - but there you go - they probably forgot too.

A little like saying surveys are corrupt, then not saying that the civil service use surveys on a regular basis for all manner of things - including the well being of staff.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:36 pm 

captain cab wrote:
A little like saying surveys are corrupt, then not saying that the civil service use surveys on a regular basis for all manner of things - including the well being of staff.

I think SUD survey are corrupt. :sad:

That's my view of the Halcrow type, but a court decided the TPI one at Plymouth was corrupt.

The Halcrow type use a formula that was created long ago, based on what who knows, but now we are told if they can't find SUD, then it ain't there.

Dusty point about the PH soaking up taxi demand is spot on, why would a customer even think about waiting at a rank when he/she can ring for a car?

But maybe the most damming fact, IMO, is that Halcrow have found SUD in just one area since 01/01/2009. Twenty eight SUD surveys, SUD in one.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:10 pm 
Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

That's my view of the Halcrow type, but a court decided the TPI one at Plymouth was corrupt.

The Halcrow type use a formula that was created long ago, based on what who knows, but now we are told if they can't find SUD, then it ain't there.

Dusty point about the PH soaking up taxi demand is spot on, why would a customer even think about waiting at a rank when he/she can ring for a car?

But maybe the most damming fact, IMO, is that Halcrow have found SUD in just one area since 01/01/2009. Twenty eight SUD surveys, SUD in one.

Nope, everytime we've had one it's come to the correct result, and even said there are times when stretched but not enough to justify more cabs,

Not sure what formula is used myself, but surely there is only one formula, count the cars count any waiting customers,

Not soaking up, muscling in, at least locally anyway

What does that tell you, or should they lie and say needs more cabs. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:10 am 

Sussex wrote:

Yes but surely what you write suggests the process is equally open to scrutiny and actually transparent? via a court if necessary - surveys can be challenged in England as well as Edinburgh :wink:

CC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:46 am 

Sussex wrote:

What do you suggest, that they should find an unmet demand just because it looks suspect if they don't :?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:15 pm 

Doom wrote:
Nope, everytime we've had one it's come to the correct result, and even said there are times when stretched but not enough to justify more cabs,

And those correct results have led to a mass influx of PH, who in turn have wiped out your trade and kept your fares down.

Impressive. :sad:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:17 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Yes but surely what you write suggests the process is equally open to scrutiny and actually transparent? via a court if necessary - surveys can be challenged in England as well as Edinburgh :wink:

Not really.

Costs of challenging the methodology of these surveys would be huge, and will little chance of success. From memory it cost Skippy's mate down in Plymouth vast sums.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:17 pm 

toots wrote:
What do you suggest, that they should find an unmet demand just because it looks suspect if they don't :?

I suggest we don't have restrictions.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:21 pm 

Sussex wrote:
toots wrote:

I suggest we don't have restrictions.

Oh well that's good, does that mean there is no restriction on vehicle type as well or is it you prefer we don't have numerical restriction and opt for financial restriction instead?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:22 pm 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

Not really.

Costs of challenging the methodology of these surveys would be huge, and will little chance of success. From memory it cost Skippy's mate down in Plymouth vast sums.

It didnt cost Guy Morgan a penny in Trafford :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:26 pm 

captain cab wrote:
It didnt cost Guy Morgan a penny in Trafford :shock:

The lad did well. =D>