Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: price of taxi plates
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:14 am 

if like me you have just moved and you had a chance to buy a taxi plate in harrogate who would buy one with all this uncertainty where i used to live in the cotswolds it was fully deregulated harrogate is not plates swop hands for £10000 would you risk buying one

Post subject: Re: price of taxi plates
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:52 am 

markheaney2 wrote:
who would buy one with all this uncertainty

Those kept in the dark and hoodwinked by the likes of the unions, local authorities and politicians, not to mention those selling the plates. :-$

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:16 am 

is that a no you would not

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:41 pm 

markheaney2 wrote:

Personally I don't think now is a good time to buy a taxi plate it's all a little bit too risky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:50 pm 

i think i will have to work for a private company till we see the outcome of it all 1 problem i hate working private hire and paying 120 pounds a week for the privilege

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:09 pm 

markheaney2 wrote:
i think i will have to work for a private company till we see the outcome of it all 1 problem i hate working private hire and paying 120 pounds a week for the privilege

Ffs I thought I was being robbed at £85 but most here are £100 per week. Set up your own, be cheaper on settle and get your own drivers :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:24 pm 

in york the subs are 130 pounds a week harrogate 120 per week

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:27 pm 

i set up my own firm in the cotswolds because i refused to pay 135 per week but it took a while to set up only after 18 months did i begin to earn any decent money i will have to start all over again if i dont want to be held to ransom by a private hire company

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:59 pm 

markheaney2 wrote:
if like me you have just moved and you had a chance to buy a taxi plate in harrogate who would buy one with all this uncertainty where i used to live in the cotswolds it was fully deregulated harrogate is not plates swop hands for £10000 would you risk buying one

I would think at this time... it would be a buyer's market.... so I think you might buy it for a great deal less......... the up side.. you start earning immediately.... and then the rest is simple maths.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:28 pm 

markheaney2 wrote:

No I wouldn't, but nothing will change, if indeed it does, for at least two years.

So worse case scenario it will cost you £100 a week.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:49 pm 

markheaney2 wrote:

Mr T says it's a buyer's market at the moment, but that's only partially correct. Problem is that so many people are in the dark about what's happening at the moment with the Law Commission, and even under normal circumstances think they're buying some kind of 'business' or goodwill, or whatever, when the reality is that there's a risk the plug could be pulled at any time.

It's a bit like finding out that your car has a major engine fault that will at some time in the future totally knacker the engine, meaning the car will be worth little more than scrap value.

But you put the car on the market but don't let on about the fault, so some mug comes along and pays the normal price unaware of the fault and that it'll cost him megabucks to fix it in a few weeks. Of course, anyone who does know about the fault won't touch the car with a bargepole.

So I suspect that plates have dropped in price because of the LC's investigation and proposals, but because a lot of people don't really know what's going on the prices haven't dropped as far as they should.

(It's essentially what economists call 'asymmetric information', ie the seller knows important information that the buyer doesn't know about, and the buyer ends up paying over the odds. In fact the LC refers to the problem in relation to customers using HCs - the customer can't know whether the driver is safe or knows where he's going etc, hence the need for councils to impose standards :D )

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:06 pm 

Well, even with the LC report recommending what they recommend, unless of course they can be shown a reason shy they should not take that course of action. Two plates have changed hands, Personally I think there will be a few bargains to be had...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:28 pm 

187ums wrote:
Well, even with the LC report recommending what they recommend, unless of course they can be shown a reason shy they should not take that course of action. Two plates have changed hands, Personally I think there will be a few bargains to be had...

Not really sure what your point is.

And I don't suppose there's any point asking you how much the plates went for to give us an idea how much the LC's proposals have dampened plate prices.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:41 pm 

By the way, I should have said that both the buyer and seller of plates could be in the dark about what's going on, so to that extent the seller wouldn't be exploiting their superior knowledge to get a better than reasonable price, but I think it's more likely that the seller would have better information than the buyer.

On the other hand, I doubt if the plate buyer would have better information than the seller, because I simply don't think they'd buy a plate at the moment at the prices being asked if they knew precisely what's going one.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:15 am 

i have started private hire in york where i worked for 15 years as a taxi driver and yes you are right after speaking to a lot of taxi drivers last night only 1 is aware of the current situation the other 5 i spoke to said they have been saying deregulation has been talked about as long as he has been a taxi driver (25 years) they are all oblivious plates are still swapping hands in york for 45000 pounds