Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:18 am 

Dusty Bin wrote:

And it's not the police's remit to decide taxi regulation anyway - councillors don't understand it, never mind the police. :-|

Thats not what Cumbria Police thought when they urged Carlisle City Council to deregulate in 1993 - in fact they even specified saloon vehicles being licensed, 'as not enough people would take up the option of purpose built taxis'.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:23 am 

Dusty Bin wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
captain cab wrote:
Cardiff was an interesting one, they re-regulated on the wishes of the police;

Which part of 'on the wishes of the police' don't you understand Mr Dusty Bin?

Do you think the police do these things for fun Mr Dusty Bin, or because of serious concerns Mr Dusty Bin?

No I think they do these things because it allows the blame to be shifted for other aspects of regulation mismagement and hands-off policing.

I mean, the police are now supporting a de facto PH rank in Liverpool city centre because of a lack of HC provision at nights.

And it's not the police's remit to decide taxi regulation anyway - councillors don't understand it, never mind the police. :-|

So according to you the police asked for numbers to be limited in Cardiff, because the police in Liverpool were and are supporting a de facto PH rank in Liverpool city centre.

Is that some more Mithering and Naïveté?

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:33 am 

Another two posts which might as well be about Olympic synchronised diving for all they addressed the point I made.

Anyway, as I said all this time would be better spent on an LC submission.

Gosh, only 40 days or so to go, so might be lucky to do 40,000 words. :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:08 am 

Dusty Bin wrote:
Another two posts which might as well be about Olympic synchronised diving for all they addressed the point I made.

Anyway, as I said all this time would be better spent on an LC submission.

Gosh, only 40 days or so to go, so might be lucky to do 40,000 words. :sad:

Ever thought of going into politics?

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:42 am 

Sussex wrote:
blackpool wrote:
Yes theres work out there,but not a unlimited amount .I suppose we could go down the ph route and discount heavily.You think you have the answers but city to town up and down the country are very different. Thing is most immediate hirings are usually in city/town centres, so you wont find many hc wanting to sit on the rank in some sleepy outskirt .

I don't think people necessarily use PH illegally because they could be cheaper, more that they are there ready and waiting.

Now whos being niave ? People use the cheapest cab available to them all the time.Plenty of times i could be sat on a rank when someone asks "are you a to b cabs" no i say.Then they will ring them and wait as there 10 ,20% cheaper or they do fixed fares.Same when they see one parked up somewhere plying illegally.As i said before maybe not in your manor but aot of others

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:44 am 

They're not cheaper in Brighton though :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:26 am 
Blackpool is 100% correct, anyone who undercuts will obviously draw business away from those that don't or can't, it was evident yesterday when the trains weren't running locally, for years on end we got issued dockets to ferry NR's customers around until some bright spark decided to give it to the PHC, so we cough £400 pa to them and they in turn contract the good stuff out, just like any other mafia company does, it's basically wrong what they've done but they are making their own rules up and have done it anyway,

The only way you will see a proper result is if you play football 11 against 11, all the time someone is sneaking their subs on the pitch as well the result will always be the same, in an area where fares are too high this is fine, but when you are basically the pound shop anyway and someone walks in and opens a 50p shop just to spite you then it becomes untenable, so until the field is leveled up by way of council set tariff and all have meters nothing will change and one side will look like the Sheriff of Nottingham while the other looks like Robin himself.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:29 am 

Dusty Bin wrote:

Not cheaper than where exactly ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:33 am 

blackpool wrote:
Dusty Bin wrote:

Not cheaper than where exactly ?

Er, I was responding to your post about PH being cheaper than HC. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:47 am 

Ph arent generally speaking cheaper here,but plenty do discounts and the like so they undercut to gain work.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:00 pm 

blackpool wrote:
Now whos being niave ? People use the cheapest cab available to them all the time.Plenty of times i could be sat on a rank when someone asks "are you a to b cabs" no i say.Then they will ring them and wait as there 10 ,20% cheaper or they do fixed fares.Same when they see one parked up somewhere plying illegally.As i said before maybe not in your manor but aot of others

When people plan getting a taxi/PH maybe they do take cost into considerations, although with the amount of visitors your manor gets I'm not convinced it would be that high.

I suspect it's availability in the outer areas that tops the list of requirements.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:01 pm 

Sussex wrote:
blackpool wrote:

When people plan getting a taxi/PH maybe they do take cost into considerations, although with the amount of visitors your manor gets I'm not convinced it would be that high.

I suspect it's availability in the outer areas that tops the list of requirements.

Wrong on a few points here mate, People, especially locals do take cost into consideration.Yes we do get visitors here but these firms advertise well,and can be slightly misleading as to how cheap they are ! On the last point were in a recesion and its a deprived area here,they seem shorter and shorter seasons aswell :sad: