Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:04 pm 

Why is this thread in the Cab Act bit surely it should be in the restricted numbers bit? Unless of course somebody wishes to ensure that the LC read it :-|

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:35 pm 

blackpool wrote:
Sussex wrote:
blackpool wrote:
As for ph congregating in certain areas think youll find thats usually opposite pubs and the like.

May I suggest you put ranks at those places then.

Talk to licensing its out of my control

My point isn't what licensing should and shouldn't do, but that there is work out there for hackneys should they choose to look for it, and keep it.

The problem most hackney trades have is that they don't look hard enough for new work, and should they find it they can't keep it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:37 pm 

toots wrote:
Why is this thread in the Cab Act bit surely it should be in the restricted numbers bit? Unless of course somebody wishes to ensure that the LC read it :-|

The Captain put it in here, and he hasn't asked for it to be moved, so stop your nagging. [-X

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:45 pm 

Sussex wrote:
toots wrote:

The Captain put it in here, and he hasn't asked for it to be moved, so stop your nagging. [-X

I wasn't nagging I was simply curious, would you say others were nagging if they asked the same question?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:50 pm 

Cardiff was an interesting one, they re-regulated on the wishes of the police;

Cardiff 2005 481 taxis
Cardiff 2011 957 taxis

Difference of +476

Using James Buttons 1 in 3 method they would need an additional 158 rank spaces

Again whilst I concur with Sussex's view that normally PH numbers decrease, the fact remains the additional taxis put pressure on taxi ranks as they now wish to stand for hire between radio jobs as opposed to park up on side streets etc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:00 pm 

May I suggest you put ranks at those places then.[/quote]
Talk to licensing its out of my control[/quote]
My point isn't what licensing should and shouldn't do, but that there is work out there for hackneys should they choose to look for it, and keep it.

The problem most hackney trades have is that they don't look hard enough for new work, and should they find it they can't keep it.[/quote]
Yes theres work out there,but not a unlimited amount .I suppose we could go down the ph route and discount heavily.You think you have the answers but city to town up and down the country are very different. Thing is most immediate hirings are usually in city/town centres, so you wont find many hc wanting to sit on the rank in some sleepy outskirt .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:10 pm 

blackpool wrote:
Yes theres work out there,but not a unlimited amount .I suppose we could go down the ph route and discount heavily.You think you have the answers but city to town up and down the country are very different. Thing is most immediate hirings are usually in city/town centres, so you wont find many hc wanting to sit on the rank in some sleepy outskirt .

I don't think people necessarily use PH illegally because they could be cheaper, more that they are there ready and waiting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:43 am 

toots wrote:
Dusty Bin wrote:
Same drivers before and after, just rearranged a bit.

You have evidence of this?

Yes. It's another golden oldie that's been recycled umpteen times over the years.

You should be paying attention Toots :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:54 am 

Sussex wrote:
blackpool wrote:
As for ph congregating in certain areas think youll find thats usually opposite pubs and the like.

May I suggest you put ranks at those places then.

I seem to recall a SUD report pointing out the amount of unused ranks in Blackpool and suggesting they be dumped. :?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:59 am 

Dusty Bin wrote:

I seem to recall a SUD report pointing out the amount of unused ranks in Blackpool and suggesting they be dumped. :?

Up until last year we had a rank for 2 cabs outside a nightclub.......sadly the nightclub closed in 2002, and is a rather successful carpet business now, a mile away from the City Centre.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:01 am 

captain cab wrote:

Cardiff 2005 481 taxis
Cardiff 2011 957 taxis

Well there's lots of ways you could look at this.

For example, pro rata to population Cardiff is similar to Edinburgh and Liverpool for taxi provision, and they've had £40-50k plates at peak.

And if you compare the metropolis of Cardiff it's twice the population of Edinburgh.

And if you compare the PH sector in Cardiff pro rata it's miniscule compared to the likes of Leeds and Manchester.

And I seem to recall that when Cardiff derestricted initially the combined HC/PH fleet barely changed in size.

And we've been through all this umpteen times since TDO started almost a decade ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:05 am 

Dusty Bin wrote:

And I seem to recall that when Cardiff derestricted initially the combined HC/PH fleet barely changed in size.

And we've been through all this umpteen times since TDO started almost a decade ago.

Whilst its pointless discussing this issue with you, you seem to neglect the fact that even if the total number of licensed vehicles decrease the switch is normally from PH to HC.

The new HC's sit on taxi ranks; an extra 476 vehicles in Cardiff doing so in the space of 5 years.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:07 am 

captain cab wrote:

Which part of 'on the wishes of the police' don't you understand Mr Dusty Bin?

Do you think the police do these things for fun Mr Dusty Bin, or because of serious concerns Mr Dusty Bin?

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:12 am 

toots wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say a news article about the LC's proposals is best placed in what's effectively now the LC section of the forum.

The restricted numbers section was originally because of the OFT report almost a decade ago, as the section's sub-title suggests: "Discuss the OFT's report and its implications here".

That's effectively dormant now, because any restricted numbers stuff these days is clearly related to the LC's process.

And the whole "Cab Act" thing is a lot wider in its implications than OFT - which was effectively about derestriction - so it would be stupid to put it in the restricted numbers section. It's effectively dormant now, and that simply reflects how the big issues have evolved since TDO was started.

Which all seems common sense to me Toots, so I think you're just trying to points-score.

But it provides easy points-scoring material for me, so thanks :D

And do you really think the LC are reading this anyway. Gosh, how embarrassing. :oops:

And to that extent I should point out that Dusty's just an emergency 'administrator' these days, and certainly has no role in moderating the forum. If he did then it probably wouldn't exist, in its current form anyway :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:16 am 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
captain cab wrote:

Which part of 'on the wishes of the police' don't you understand Mr Dusty Bin?

Do you think the police do these things for fun Mr Dusty Bin, or because of serious concerns Mr Dusty Bin?

No I think they do these things because it allows the blame to be shifted for other aspects of regulation mismagement and hands-off policing.

I mean, the police are now supporting a de facto PH rank in Liverpool city centre because of a lack of HC provision at nights.

And it's not the police's remit to decide taxi regulation anyway - councillors don't understand it, never mind the police. :-|

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next