Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The IoL Response
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:32 pm 

The IoL Response

The IoL will respond to this consultation.

In order to do so, we would ask Members to share their views via our online survey which replicates the proposals and questions contained in the Law Commission consultation.

This is an extremely important and potentially far reaching consultation and we would urge all our members to feed into the process by taking the time to complete the survey giving their views.

Take the IoL Member Survey »
Law Commission Advisory Group
The Institute sits on the Law Commission Advisory Group looking at Taxi and Private Hire law reform.

The minutes of the meetings are available in the website library for Institute members to download: /IOL/library/Taxi and Private Hire Vehicles/Law Commission Review on Taxi Laws
Law Commission Review on Taxi and private hire vehicle regulation
Shortly after the publication of the Institute’s report and its presentation to the Transport Committee and the DFT, the Law Commission announced its review of the existing framework of taxi and private hire vehicle regulation with a view to preparing proposals for consultation.

The Law Commission website states

“The current law on taxis and PHVs has been criticised for being complex and outdated.

One problem is the multiplicity of legislation. Taxis, which can “ply for hire” so customers can stop them in the street, have different rules to PHVs which can only be pre-booked. In turn each of the taxi and PHV trades is regulated by multiple statutes. There are also different legal systems along geographical lines distinguishing Plymouth, London and the rest of England and Wales. Whereas some distinctions are clearly justified others are less clearly so.

Some of the legislation, particularly relating to taxis, is archaic. The key statutes date back to Victorian times and refer to “hackney carriages” when taxis were literally horse-drawn vehicles. Case law and guidance are indispensable in interpreting the law. This also makes the legislation less able to reflect more modern technology like the telephone, internet and GPS technology.”

The project

The project examines the legal framework relating to taxis and PHVs with a view to making it simpler and more modern.

The Commission aim to publish proposals for reform in April 2012.

This will be followed by a three month consultation period following which the Commission will publish a final report with recommendations and draft bill by late 2013.

The IOL Taxi Reform Consultation
In January 2011, following 30 months of work by the Institute's team of volunteers (the Taxi Reform Working Party), and the first nationwide consultation involving all users, trade and regulators, the Institute presented the findings of the consultation in one comprehensive report.

James Button, Chair of the Taxi Reform Working Party and President of the Institute of Licensing said at the time:

“This report is the culmination of almost three years hard work by a dedicated team of volunteers, to whom I express my heartfelt thanks.. It is the first time that opinion on taxi use and legislation has been canvassed so widely and impartially, and it presents a picture of a vital urgent need for reform, to benefit the public businesses, and regulators. I urge the Government to look at this archaic area of public safety regulation as a matter of priority.”

No mention of drivers though =D> =D>

Post subject: Re: The IoL Response
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:54 pm 

Is someone trying to suggest a link between the IOL survey and the Law Commission enquiry??????

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:00 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Is someone trying to suggest a link between the IOL survey and the Law Commission enquiry??????

what is the IOL?

The Hackney Association Ltd
bbha@btinternet.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:01 pm 

charles007 wrote:
captain cab wrote:

what is the IOL?

Institute of Licensing

It's james buttons mob Charles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:05 pm 

Mr T wrote:

Why would there be nobody cares about the drivers :sad:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:06 pm 

toots wrote:
Mr T wrote:

I do :?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:08 pm 

MR T wrote:
toots wrote:
Mr T wrote:

I do :?

Me too, but, nobody from the likes of the IoL, Dft or the LC.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:12 pm 

toots wrote:

They are nice people who go home each night and tuck their children into bed.

A little like the train drivers did in **** occupied europe when they drove their trains into deathcamps, then went home to tuck their kids into bed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:14 pm 

charles007 wrote:
captain cab wrote:

what is the IOL?

Wasn't the IOL more of a smarty pants private business concern with big ideas who thought they were the dogs until the law commission came along and stole their thunder..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:14 pm 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

A little like the train drivers did in **** occupied europe when they drove their trains into deathcamps, then went home to tuck their kids into bed.

A harsh comparison but I get your point.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:15 pm 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

A tad extreme, innit?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:16 pm 

toots wrote:

It was the careerists who made possible the genocides, from the extermination of Native Americans to the Turkish slaughter of the Armenians to the **** Holocaust to Stalin’s liquidations. They were the ones who kept the trains running. They filled out the forms and presided over the property confiscations. They rationed the food while children starved. They manufactured the guns. They ran the prisons. They enforced travel bans, confiscated passports, seized bank accounts and carried out segregation. They enforced the law. They did their jobs.

Chris Hedges

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:19 pm 

Dusty Bin wrote:

A tad extreme, innit?

I dont think it is tbh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:54 pm 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

It was the careerists who made possible the genocides, from the extermination of Native Americans to the Turkish slaughter of the Armenians to the **** Holocaust to Stalin’s liquidations. They were the ones who kept the trains running. They filled out the forms and presided over the property confiscations. They rationed the food while children starved. They manufactured the guns. They ran the prisons. They enforced travel bans, confiscated passports, seized bank accounts and carried out segregation. They enforced the law. They did their jobs.

Chris Hedges

So might that be included in the NTA's submission, or is this purely a personal opinion?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:01 am 

http://www.instituteoflicensing.org/