Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:08 pm 

A grand total of 15 attended this meeting, despite the fact that I emailed all the major HC and PH operators in the Midlands that I could easily find email addresses for on the Internet. Some 60-plus emails were sent to operators.

No wonder The Dandy is folding after 75 years, because Korky the Cat, Bananaman, Cuddles and Dimples, Beryl the Peril, Puss n Boots, not even Desperate Dan could save the cab trade in Brum now!!

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:27 pm 

Suprised at that to be honest, think we had about 80 turn up.At least you had them to yourself !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:54 pm 

blackpool wrote:
Suprised at that to be honest, think we had about 80 turn up.At least you had them to yourself !

It might have had something to do with 'The Night of Power', which I didn't realise was last night until I read a text this morning that had been sent to me overnight.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:08 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
A grand total of 15 attended this meeting, despite the fact that I emailed all the major HC and PH operators in the Midlands that I could easily find email addresses for on the Internet. Some 60-plus emails were sent to operators.

No wonder The Dandy is folding after 75 years, because Korky the Cat, Bananaman, Cuddles and Dimples, Beryl the Peril, Puss n Boots, not even Desperate Dan could save the cab trade in Brum now!!

Did you expect the operators to inform the drivers :?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:15 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:

Don't be disheartened, that's the taxi/PH trade for you. :sad:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:38 am 

People are worried around here, it's not the older guys but the younger lot who are really worried. They keep asking me how long? I tell them about three years before the changed will start to bite.

No ones buying, no ones selling, I think it's going to be dark days until next year.

The thing that gets me is people like Sussex cry higher standards, or for a crack down on over ranking, or how ph are allowed to be visible in more prominent places, yet he ignores the evidence here on his own site.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:50 am 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Some 60-plus emails were sent to operators.

Maybe the PH operators on your list are very very happy the way things are going.

Being able to build their businesses on the back of low level labour and low level vehicle standards, put alongside being able to use vehicles and drivers, and work in other areas, must seem to them as if they have won the lottery.

And truth to tell they have.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:53 am 

187ums wrote:
The thing that gets me is people like Sussex cry higher standards, or for a crack down on over ranking, or how ph are allowed to be visible in more prominent places, yet he ignores the evidence here on his own site.

I'm not ignoring anything.

Clearly those that have a lot to lose are a lot less happy than those that will gain.

You seem to think I believe that all the LC say is great, well I can tell you that I have told the LC to their faces that it ain't.

But it also ain't all bad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:53 am 

Sussex wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:

Maybe the PH operators on your list are very very happy the way things are going.

Being able to build their businesses on the back of low level labour and low level vehicle standards, put alongside being able to use vehicles and drivers, and work in other areas, must seem to them as if they have won the lottery.

You rather Imply that all PH vehicles on our roads are those owned by large employers that run fleets of vehicles using slave labour, But other than in the Cities and large towns I would have thought that the majority of PH operators are small one man band operators who work completely independently of the nation Big Boys.

There must be many like me that work purely from work generated by Phone, Text or Email and who are beholding to no one other than their customers.

Surely their will be as much poor treatment and pay for Employed Hack Drivers as their is of employed PH Drivers. And the Large Hack fleet owners can be just as guilty of Poor pay and conditions and also of poor Vehicle Standards as the PH fleet owners are.

Seems odd that It's always the Large PH operators that are singled out for ridicule when there are so, so many Junk Taxis driven by poor Serfs on our roads.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:32 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:

You rather Imply that all PH vehicles on our roads are those owned by large employers that run fleets of vehicles using slave labour, But other than in the Cities and large towns I would have thought that the majority of PH operators are small one man band operators who work completely independently of the nation Big Boys.

There must be many like me that work purely from work generated by Phone, Text or Email and who are beholding to no one other than their customers.

Surely their will be as much poor treatment and pay for Employed Hack Drivers as their is of employed PH Drivers. And the Large Hack fleet owners can be just as guilty of Poor pay and conditions and also of poor Vehicle Standards as the PH fleet owners are.

Seems odd that It's always the Large PH operators that are singled out for ridicule when there are so, so many Junk Taxis driven by poor Serfs on our roads.

You make a good point but this is Birmingham that they are discussing :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:40 pm 

bloodnock wrote:

I'm not sure I implied anything of the sort.

I would say the vast majority of PH down here work on a small/medium/large circuit, and that applies to both urban and rural areas.

However there are a few drivers that offer an executive service, and TBH I doubt anything the LC are saying or proposing will effect them. If anything binning off the cross border issue might help them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:08 pm 

Quote:
You make a good point but this is Birmingham that they are discussing :wink:

All I know about Birmingham is that It's easier to Drive round it than through it.. :?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6