Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:29 am 

187ums wrote:
Deregulation, quality control, what ever you may want to call it is bad for the business and bad for the drivers.

It's not only bad for the above it is bad for the customer, it's usually followed with 100% WAV fleet which restricts choice for the customer, causes fares to increase which is also bad for customer and endangers lives because drivers work longer and unsafe hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:52 am 

If the LC have been verbally abused its rather shameful tbh.

I dont think the NTA have been abusive towards them, although I understand fire alarms went off at Cober Hill due to a chap who hasnt touched any alcohol since (I cant recall the alarms going off tbh but I was tired)........so perhaps the LC can take credit for reforming the drinking habits of a certain Scouser?

If they found the 'Not Wanted' poster offensive, it could have been far worse, and I certainly wasnt to blame for that. I understand taxitalk has received no complaint.

If posts on TDO are deemed offensive, I am sure the moderators of the site will listen to any concerns, remove the posts and perhaps warn the contributors.

As we all know, the issues the LC are covering are highly contentious to many of us - and to a certain degree we are the ones who have actually read the LC documents and drawn conclusions - and more honestly - argued about them on here in a reasonably fair and open forum.

If the LC dont like this type of honesty - I'm quite sure they wouldnt like to be flies on the walls of local association and union branch meetings because the language used behind closed doors is far worse - drawing rather bizarre analogies.

I mentioned in the above article something I wrote in 2010.......I wasnt actually referring to the LC who were not involved within the cab trade at that point, the article went as follows;

Nazis - A Warning from History

Chaos and Consent …Some of you are bound to be aware that the sub heading above was a documentary based upon the Nazis and the Second World War. Episode one of the series explained how it: “was possible that a cultured nation at the heart of Europe ever allowed Hitler and the **** party to come to power”.

The co-editor and myself recently discussed how something like **** Germany ever came into being, how was it possible, like the documentary states, that a nation like Germany, which for all its faults was supposedly civilised, could allow such horrible acts, ordered by the Nazis, to come into being. Let’s face some pretty horrific facts here. The entire war machine, the entire system, couldn’t have happened if it were not for regular people doing regular jobs. The trains ran on time to death-camps, were these trains, along with the train drivers, signalmen, firemen etc operated by salivating monsters? Somehow I don't think so, I think they went home on an evening and kissed their kids goodnight. But that’s getting away from the warning. The level of bureaucracy needed to build death-camps, prepare and wage war, at the same time as secretly developing new planes, tanks etc whilst still needing a certain degree of administration to generally run a country must have been staggering - a civil service approaching biblical proportions. The paperwork alone and the mechanism to put in place such could arguably only happen in a country with such a devout attitude to officialdom.

For a slightly a more light-hearted example I will tell you what our lord Jeremy Clarkson once experienced after a flight to the USA. Basically, after many hours travelling Jezza was completely bushed, he was faced with a rather large security guard who was filling in forms at some US airport. Because Jezza was a foreigner, the guard needed to know where he was staying. Jezza told the guard the name of the hotel. The security guard asked for the number of the property, Jezza didn’t know, the guard repeated the question with the emphasis on: ‘the form needs a number’, to which Jezza replied something like ‘25826’. This was fine; he got through and went to his hotel. He maintains the US is like that. People promoted way above their level of their intelligence. You have all bound to have come across a similar attitude when dealing with certain companies. The character Carol Beer, played by David Walliams on TV’s ‘Little Britain’ does actually exist... "Computer says no..."

This naturally leads me on to the pen-pushers at local authority level. I tend to think local authorities work in a similar certain manner. You must be a window -licking imbecile to get sacked. Basically if you’re completely useless at your job, you get promoted so you get out of trouble. Certain local authorities appear to no longer see you as a name, you are merely a number, a licence number, they need the street number of the hotel, and they need the computer to say yes. They have procedures in place - they have policies. Heaven forbid if you want them to step outside the policy, because that’s not in the book, the use words such as common sense and discretion are foreign, because those words aren’t in the rule book. What’s in the book is procedure, what to do if an application for a renewal is a day late; to them it is no longer a renewal but a new application, and you must present a vehicle that meets the criteria. If a driver suffers from diabetes or suchlike and this is also in the book and you cannot, despite driving for years, even with a nice note from the doctor, drive a licensed vehicle.

For whatever I may have written on here in passing reference to whoever took offence, I'd say the above article was far worse.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:18 am 

There were zero complaints about the following article;

What’s in a vehicle?

It appears the good people of Knowsley are to be freed from the clutches of the COF entering the free market of alternative vehicles. The entire UK taxi trade stood back in silence, passed wind, rolled over, fell asleep, woke up and then asked where the hell is Knowsley? Well considering the place has approximately 151,000 people, someone out there should know.

Well, my fine feathered friends, Knowsley district is just off the M57 it consists of the areas of Kirkby, Stockbridge Village, Huyton, Prescot, Whiston, Halewood, Knowsley Village, Cronton and Tarbock. Its main attraction seems to be a Safari park, where they keep people from Manchester.

It borders the fine City of Liverpool. Virtually all the local authorities surrounding Liverpool now accept alternative vehicles, the pressure is obviously on.

I like the phrase ‘alternative vehicle’ because it reminds me of ‘alternative comedy’, which is genre only a few people actually get (a bit like this column).

I have been somewhat bemused by comments made by some in the press. One report stated;

‘Liverpool Wheelchair User Group (LWUG) has backed a judicial review test case at the High Court against Liverpool because they claim refusing to use these cabs is an act of discrimination.

They argue that it is only possible to travel sideways in a traditional black cab and this is done without wheelchair restraints or seatbelts creating a substantial risk for disabled users.’

If the above quote is right, it would seem that either cab drivers in Liverpool don’t know how to load wheelchairs, or the LWUG doesn’t know its ar*e from its elbow. Admittedly – both are possible.

Unfortunately there are hundreds of wheelchairs, ranging from the Remploy Access 06A17 to the Invacare Zipper S / T, there’s even one called a quickie!

Now that’s not premature, wheelchairs do come in different weights and sizes. A fraction of wheelchairs are actually tested or guaranteed not to be smashed to smithereens in the very likely event of your cab being involved in a major road accident.

The above aside I am slightly confused to the differing attitude in the areas surrounding Liverpool. The ‘unite’ union in Liverpool are strongly in favour of the COF, whereas their Safari park brethren, in the same union, backed the increased choice for the humble Knowsley cabbie.
I don’t know what the Knowsley cabbies are quite expecting; one was quoted as saying;

‘My current cab offers only a seatbelt for protection in an accident and the cab area is quite small and basic.’

You lot must be going soft, my cab offers a baseball bat for protection. What am I to do with a seat belt, tie them up? Small and basic? I wonder what the chap was expecting. A caravan perhaps?

When it comes to the safety features offered in taxis, I wager more people have came to an unfortunate demise at the hands of a plant pot, than behind the wheel’s of a purpose built vehicle, yet I don’t go around calling for hanging baskets and window displays to be banned, possibly due to the comedic value.

True, certain models of alternative vehicles do come with air-bag’s, these are of use to those in the front, but arguably, of zero use to those in the rear, which is where the passenger is supposed to be. The passenger should be assured in the unlikely event of an accident the driver will be okay and probably able to extricate them from the partition, because passengers who wear seat belts are as common as cab drivers who wear them.

Indeed, the public should be aware if they spot a cab driver wearing a belt, he is more than likely a butterboy.

The above aside, and whilst the layout of the E7 (for example) is actually quite good, the driving position and all round visibility in a TX4 is arguably better.

A report stated alternative vehicles were more environmentally friendly, but so is walking and recycling pooh, and if taxi customers did that, we’d all be out of a job, but have very, very, green gardens.

All of this it comes down to choice, and more specifically, being allowed the choice. Having driven both vehicles, both have advantages and disadvantages.

I find this all strange, without a doubt the best ever engine fitted to the iconic London Taxi was Japanese, yet I don’t really like ‘Japs’ because they tortured my old next door neighbour Tom before making him build a Bridge. I’m not overly keen on the French either, well, because they’re French. Sure there’s a variation which is Italian, but do cab drivers really need six reverse gears?

It has been said, ‘If I want to go home in a van, I’ll get arrested’.

But, the above aside, if the Soviet Union hadn’t have been around after the war, do any of you actually think the US would have bothered going to the moon? No, they would have sat back, got fatter and ate more hamburgers. Competition spurred the space race, and competition will make the products and more importantly the taxi driver’s choice, and hopefully life, a whole lot better.

The biscuit dilemma

Unfortunately I don’t share the above opinion when it comes to regulating taxi numbers. I have long been of the opinion (well for almost a month) that neither locals, councillors nor indeed governments are best placed to decide, in-fact reading through the magazine, it would actually appear that the person best placed to decide, is in actual fact – ME!

Of course, if I did run the show there would be an instant ban on people with ginger hair, and short people, from driving cabs. Both seem quite justifiably angry with the hand dealt to them. But find it quite worrying that people with ginger hair can by any stretch of the imagination be considered ‘fit and proper’ – they’ve got ginger hair for Christ’s sake! Short people always seem overly aggressive, just like those ferocious little terriers, they always seem to be ticking. Obviously these views will be added to in future issues.

‘What biscuits for the next meeting? the choice is the delightful ‘Jacob's Orange Club’ or sublime ‘Rington’s Ginger Snap’ the council may ask. The strange thing is, at least in the biscuit department they may make a decision, this is unless they have to refer the ‘biscuit impasse’ to a higher committee, as it may bring a ‘Asda Fruit Shrewsbury with Lemon Drizzle’ problem, referred to in minute number 10065. And we know how tricky that one can be!

I will stop short, I was going to declare taxi policy could, to the casual observer, be seen to be decided by a bunch of window lickers, but that would be grossly unfair on the mentally disturbed. We are dealing with people who seem to think they can be transported from knitting cardigans, to deciding the entire transport infrastructure of a vast metropolis.

Little wonder a taxi rank can take 10 years to obtain, you’re dealing with people who don’t know what a taxi rank is.

We shouldn’t be surprised a cab driver can be treated like they’ve just committed ethnic cleansing, when in reality they’ve done 38 miles per hour in a 30 zone at 2am on a Sunday morning. I mean, there’s speeding, being unlucky and being just plain dumb. The plain dumb ones deserve to be punished, like union members, but honestly, doing 38 mph on a Sunday morning, on an A road, when there’s no other cars or pedestrians on the road?

“You have been brought before us today for doing 38 mph when driving your taxi, officer take him outside and shoot him!”

These people seem to think ‘discretion’ is somewhere in Mesopotamia. To be honest, I think they’d be lucky to find their own way home, that’s if they actually have a home, I’ve seen the dress sense of some, and you could be mistaken for believing before they attend council meetings they cover themselves in glue and run blindfold through a charity shop.

Expecting an uneducated person (or thicko) to understand the intricacies of a survey, act of parliament or even an escalator, is like asking the majority of you to understand the theory of relativity.

I am confused by many things in life, for example, Why did Newcastle United sell James Milner, why can’t I smoke in my own taxi, with window open, when there’s no passenger, and wtf is a ‘Tesla Girl’? being merely three. But, Councillors are the all seeing and all knowing. Admittedly, they are advised by licensing officers, and this is perhaps little like getting directions to Boot’s from a Chechen freedom fighter, and whist I fully respect some, others seem to regard the cab driver in the same manner as we regard a drunken passenger going RTFC with no money.
If we had run the war like councils run our Cities, without a doubt we would all be called ‘Fritz’ and speaking German.

Councils quite simply haven’t the first idea of how to organise transport, true they are advised by alleged experts, who all look like their aged 12. But that aside, couldn’t these people be considered even more retarded than the councillors? It’s all well and good looking at a ‘super-dooper’ computer simulation, where all cars travel 3 feet from bumper to bumper at 8.4 mph, but this anything like real life?

The computer doesn’t seem to realise the bloke in the grey Vectra actually ‘chose’ to buy a Vectra, the guy in the ‘Mondeo’ has suddenly developed a flat tyre and is about to change it in the inside lane. And the person in the gold coloured Nissan Micra is in fact my mother in law, who has the road-sense of a hedgehog with a bad bout of flu. These people don’t seem to believe its even possible car manufacturers can subject us to vehicles such as the ‘Morris Marina’.

For no reason whatsoever, we see plans drawn up for City Centres, traffic flows are altered for the motorists own good, without warning we have cones appear overnight, with no ‘roadworkery’ for weeks. These decisions are made in Town and county Halls, by lunatics who are so engrossed in their cross stitch they have no actual idea about the weeks of doom they are about to inflict upon the motorist.

I was recently speaking to Casey; he told me he hasn’t walked around Carlisle’s City Centre since 1987, yes 1987, the last time he wandered around his City Centre Rick Astley was at the top of the hit parade with ‘Never Gonna Give You Up’. That’s over 20 years without walking around the centre of his home City. Why? Well he can’t park his car there and flatly refuses to go.
Yet this is the thing, the government seem to be run by window lickers too.

They seem to have a vision of deregulated taxis, council’s are advised they should consider more regulations, all done in the public interest (obviously). Councils seem to believe regulations must mean ‘age controls’. I am yet to be convinced that a drunken bum staggering on a rank is so partisan that he prefers to vomit in new cabs over old.

All of this comes under a rather quaint turn of phrase called ‘quality control’ (why do I get a vision of the third reich when I hear that phrase?), in terms of the vehicle and as explained above, this means ‘age control’ and possible ‘WAV only’ policies. In terms of the driver it means B tech, NVQ, DSA driving test, medicals and knowledge tests. Rather than limit numbers, they see it as ‘raising the bar’, effectively controlling applicants via higher standards as opposed to numerical plate restriction.

There is a training course out there where you complete the exam ‘on-line’. You are given a password to log in and then you take the exam from the comfort of your own home or caravan. Now call me slightly sceptical, but ain’t that as open to abuse as the 100% knowledge success rate in a certain area where the translator was found to be doing the exam for the student?

Personally I think it’s a load of old crap, you have both government and local authorities physically manipulating policy, nobody actually knows if the end product will be any better. Hang on a minute....the people of Wirral know its a failure, as do the people of Sheffield, and the people of Birmingham don’t seem particularly happy either. But I can see there point, Birmingham is truly awful.

The above aside deregulation doesn’t seem to work to any plan, and if it does work to a plan its a totally insane one, possibly dreamed up by a mad scientist, it’s a plan to license as many taxis as possible. Adolf Hitler had a plan, fair enough it was totally mental, but the plan was ‘Lebensraum’ or living space for the Germanic people. We don’t even get extra ranks! I don’t expect my LA to annex Austria or anything, I just want somewhere to park my cab and wait for punters.

In their wisdom the government effectively stopped something called ‘zoning’. Now to me ‘zoning’ is nothing more than a tool a council can use to ensure all places within its district have coverage of cabs. To you, ‘zoning’ maybe something they used to do in ‘Star Trek’, but, perhaps I am dealing with idiots here. In actual fact its giving a council the power to say ‘that hackney carriage can work in that town, and that one works there’, unfortunately zoning is now banned (like smoking and possibly breathing), and if an LA give it up, it cant even say ‘oh [edited by admin], we need zoning there’s no cabs there goddammit’. It’s a little bit like being a football manager and not being able to pick your own team (no that’s allegedly Newcastle United and West Ham).

What happens next is the government decide we have too many LA’s and this is costing the tax payer money...(I actually agree we have about 360 ish too many), so in turn we are going to get ‘super-dooper’ (wow two times in one article) authorities covering vast swathes of the country. Now excuse me for asking, what happens to the cabs? Does this mean my mate from Hicksville can come to my metropolis and ply for hire? Well, without ‘zoning’ this is going to happen.

Its all well and good the mentally deficient saying ‘the clever cabby will work the bergs, coz that’s where the work will be’ because that’s not true to anyone with more than one brain cell, they think ‘Big City party time dude!’ and the fella in Hicksville walks home.

In many respects I think we all have to ask whatever happened to the Iraqi Information Minister, I seem to be coming to the conclusion he works in government, both local and national.

The Taxitalk Motoring column

If the Ford Mondeo could speak, it would undoubtedly say ‘He couldn’t afford a Jag’. It is to taxis what Arthur Dent was for hitchhiking, a complete disaster that nobody understands. Indeed, it may have well been designed by Marvin the Paranoid Android, looking too big and trying too hard. The looks are obviously a [edited by admin] disguise, perhaps similar to a Klingon cloaking device, because in truth the Mondy is neither. It has a reverse type of ‘Tardis’ effect, it is actually smaller on the inside. In the majority of cases they are driven by people who should possibly be followed by the police.

If rumours are correct Skoda are embarrassed by the success of the Octavia in the taxi and minicab markets, apparently normal people (therefore not cab and PH drivers) are not buying them in serious numbers, they regard the Octavia as a minicab. The Octavia does to taxi work what Greggs do for traditional home made pie shops. Indeed, the question needs to be asked about what on earth has happened to the quality of Greggs pies these days, I know were in a credit crunch, but the last Cornish pasty I had from there was totally minging.
Back to the Octavia, the legroom is ‘crap’, unless your passengers are Frodo Baggins.

During the World War II occupation of Czechoslovakia by the Nazis, the Škoda works was turned into part of Hermann Göring Werke serving the German World War II effort. Goring committed suicide, presumably after seeing the early drawings of the 1101 series.
As most of you will be aware, Skoda is owned by Volkswagen, it can hardly be any surprise that Skoda are regarded, perhaps unfairly, as the poor mans Volkswagen.

The Vauxhall Vectra looks like a Vauxhall Cavalier, a cab driver who chooses one of these has no obvious ambition and should perhaps contemplate train spotting for a hobby.

The Skoda Superb (old model). Fabulous legroom! Unfortunately that is all that is seemingly going for the ‘Superb’. I mean when a driver says ‘Yeah but look at the legroom’, what the hell does that say for the rest of the vehicle? What about ‘feel the power in this beast’, ‘hey granny! this thing takes corners like you just wouldn’t believe wayhey!’?

Saloon cars were never designed to be taxis, they were designed to take a family of four to the seaside, or a sales rep to Rotherham. This why saloon’s used as taxis are totally pants. Indeed, all of the above cars are front wheel drive, and front wheel drive cars are totally rubbish.
Of course the one key thought from all passengers in saloon vehicles is the same ‘give the nice driver a tip, he couldn’t afford a ‘proper’ taxi’.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:50 am 

Roses are red, violets are blue, I’m a schizophrenic and so am I

Writing articles is quite difficult, every month I have to sit down, seek inspiration and dream up bigger and better insults than the month before, its damn hard work I can tell you. Every once in a while a story reaches the national press about the taxi trade at just the right moment. Thank you London, thank you very much.

Septembers acknowledgement by the PCO that they are to allow paranoid schizophrenics to train for the knowledge shouldn’t come of much a surprise, London appear to have been licensing people with this type of complaint for some considerable time, it could be described as a condition of license.

This new licensing stipulation came about after a great deal of research and study by the PCO. They have secretly been recording conversations in those green shelters dotted about our nation’s capital.

In being one of the trades leading investigative journalists this writer contacted Scientists who advised the condition, also known as ‘Beingtoofarupyourownbacksideitis’, it is caused by long periods sitting down, realising the cup is truly half empty and the world is out to get you.

Suffers from the disease are often heard making strange noises, examples include ’bleedin minicabs’, ‘M4 Bus lane’ and ‘Effing Addison Lee’.

I spoke recently to a London Cab Driver, when asked about the new PCO policy I was told;

“Facking PCO? They ain’t got a Scooby doo mate, bring back Ronnie and Reggie that’s what I say, they’d have sorted it aaaht, only killed their own y’know, cam on West Haaaaam”

The condition should not be confused with ‘Aintgoingsarfoftheriverguv’ which seems to affect a certain percentage of drivers on an evening.

The PCO stress that the public ought be in no danger whatsoever, provided of course, they don't say "I do" to them.

The LSCA (London Schizophrenics Cab Association) defended the PCO decision, speaking to their Chairman (and vice chairman), Napoleon Levy, this reporter was told, ‘the PCO have been very courageous in this decision, we have rights, both of us’. The LSCA did however condemn the PCO for charging Schizophrenics twice for their licenses, and justifying their decision by making it a condition that two application forms are filled out.

The LSCA spokesman damned the move;

“Effectively Schizophrenics are doubling London’s taxi driver numbers, I work days, I apparently work nights, although during nights I prefer to wear a flowery dress with a Napoleon hat, we’re providing a public service and the PCO are being over zealous, its a diabolical liberty”

The PCO poured scorn on this point, a spokesman told me;

“We have been considering the lack of availability of taxis on an evening for a number of hours, it seems to be an ideal solution to license schitzos, we get one for the price of two, although we would draw the line at axe wielding homicidal maniacs, although we cannot rule them out totally”.

A spokesman for the LAWHMTDC (London Axe Wielding Homicidal Maniacs Taxi Drivers Club) was outraged;

“It’s totally unfair, they are allowing those fruit loops to be licensed, what about us? Do you like my new axe? Frisnit, Frisnit, yippee”

At this point he sharpened his axe so I made my excuses and left.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:33 am 

Sussex wrote:
The way I see all this is that it shows the Law Commission exactly how 'regulatory capture' works in the taxi/PH trade. :-$

Surely you're not accusing the Law Commission of being the hunter and the HC and PH trades as the prey?

:-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:38 am 

toots wrote:
Behave yourself, these are relatively intelligent people who are reading the forum. They should be glad they're not posting in the Scottish section ffs :roll:

Just imagine if the law reforms included Scotland.

What the Law Commission have 'suffered in abuse' so far would pale into insignificance if those wolves commonly known as Jasbar and Skull were 'On a Mission'!!

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:00 am 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Sussex wrote:
The way I see all this is that it shows the Law Commission exactly how 'regulatory capture' works in the taxi/PH trade. :-$

Surely you're not accusing the Law Commission of being the hunter and the HC and PH trades as the prey?

:-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

No just reminding the law commission how the trade works, and supporting the law commission view on 'regulatory capture'.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:02 am 

Sussex wrote:
No just reminding the law commission how the trade works, and supporting the law commission view on 'regulatory capture'.

does getting p*ssed constitute regulatory capture........if thats the case i get captured quite often :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:59 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
toots wrote:
Behave yourself, these are relatively intelligent people who are reading the forum. They should be glad they're not posting in the Scottish section ffs :roll:

Just imagine if the law reforms included Scotland.

What the Law Commission have 'suffered in abuse' so far would pale into insignificance if those wolves commonly known as Jasbar and Skull were 'On a Mission'!!

It would make for interesting reading although the LC do support some of the arguments that Skull and Jasbar put forward so it may not be so bad :wink: