Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:03 am 

sasha wrote:
MR T wrote:
I have for 30 years said... that a driver should be able to earn a living by working 40 hours. so that means pay for his vehicle. then maintenance. insurance. road tax. licensing fees. fuel.. his wages.. and his tax.... and maybe accountant.... so what does he need to make per hour .

Already done it (a few months back) !
My weekly costs come to around £240 which is £6 per hour. So based on a 40 hour week I need to take an AVERAGE of £12 on the meter per hour to achieve MINIMUM wage. Midweek I'm lucky if I hit even the £6 to cover my costs eusasmiles.zip

It's the same round here we can't take £13 an hour to cover our running costs.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:05 am 

gusmac wrote:
You also get a 33% reduction in competition :wink:

Try factoring that into your figures.

What you get is the usual amount of clients requiring Taxis and PH's at the same old usual times that they always did, But because you all want the maximum income from your set amount of workable hours it follows that your all going to focus all your energies on working the technically more profitable income generating hours. If there were to be a reduction in Operator numbers by 33% (which is unlikely) then that loss would not be observed in the peak hours where competition for customers would be as fierce if not fiercer for the rich Mother Lode of clients, That is because no one would want to work those less profitable hours which are only marginally profitable now because operators tended to put in more hours to make working them worthwhile which won't can happen on severely limited working hours.

It's like being reliant on a charity soup Kitchen, If you know they only serve food twice daily between Midday and 1pm and then again between 4.30pm and 5.30pm then everyone that relies on that soup kitchen will join and swell the numbers in that sizable queue slightly before and during those feeding times, but because of the ever growing demand from more and more hungry mouths and the kitchen providers limited finances not everybody who has patiently queued for food will get any and they'll leave hungry. The other thing these poor hungry wretches are savvy enough to realise is that there is no point in queuing up at any other time of day other than when the foods available just to be looking at the few crumbs that are left on the floor.

We will all suffer, not just few sacrificed for the greater cause. #-o

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:46 am 

Flawed logic. I'll let you work out why. #-o

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:10 am 

captain cab wrote:
Sussex wrote:

But it boils down to what can be earnt within those 40 hours, and if drivers are struggling to get a £10 per hour, then the trade ain't worth working in if you can't do 60 hours.

Then fares will have to increase.

The drivers will have a heart attack round here if you consider a 20p rise, the streets will be alive with "they won't pay that". My reply will always be, "tell the cnuts to walk then".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:18 am 

Can some body put that on line tax credit calculator link if up... pleased

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:53 am 

Nidge2 wrote:
The drivers will have a heart attack round here if you consider a 20p rise, the streets will be alive with "they won't pay that". My reply will always be, "tell the cnuts to walk then".

Drivers wouldnt have to charge it........but if they didnt, once their hourly weeks are finished they cant work anymore.

Having to work excessive hours, and 18 hour shifts on a weekend just to earn enough to pay the bills is 'victorian' ffs.

I did 13 hours yesterday, I earned £6.15p per hour after I took off my fuel and that was a Saturday shift, fair enough the Sat before a bank holiday is normally slow but ffs.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:42 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Nidge2 wrote:

Drivers wouldnt have to charge it........but if they didnt, once their hourly weeks are finished they cant work anymore.

Having to work excessive hours, and 18 hour shifts on a weekend just to earn enough to pay the bills is 'victorian' ffs.

I did 13 hours yesterday, I earned £6.15p per hour after I took off my fuel and that was a Saturday shift, fair enough the Sat before a bank holiday is normally slow but ffs.

It was the same round here "I was lucky to hit £10 last night at the busy time".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:48 pm 

MR T wrote:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAnd ... /DG_181270

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:26 pm 

captain cab wrote:

And that's it in a nutshell.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:13 pm 

Nidge2 wrote:
captain cab wrote:
Nidge2 wrote:

It was the same round here "I was lucky to hit £10 last night at the busy time".

Well it was busy here. I just had my best night of the year so far. In fact, I think it may have been my best night ever.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:49 pm 

gusmac wrote:

No, I'd rather you enlighten me as to your perceived flaws because I recon I'm not far off the mark on this one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:57 pm 

Nidge2 wrote:
captain cab wrote:
Sussex wrote:

But it boils down to what can be earnt within those 40 hours, and if drivers are struggling to get a £10 per hour, then the trade ain't worth working in if you can't do 60 hours.

Then fares will have to increase.

The cnuts as you call them wont Walk, they'll simply phone PH's who can charge what they want.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:03 pm 

Nidge2 wrote:
MR T wrote:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAnd ... /DG_181270

Thanks Nidge.. :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:05 pm 

gusmac wrote:
captain cab wrote:

And that's it in a nutshell.

There you go Gus..... we agree...... I always thought you would come round to my a way of thinking eventually..... :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:26 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
gusmac wrote:

No, I'd rather you enlighten me as to your perceived flaws because I recon I'm not far off the mark on this one.

It's quite simple Sherlock.
I see no reason why the number of potential customers or the value of their fares will increase or decrease. Demand isn't dependent on the number of vehicles. Meeting that demand is.
If everyone works the same hours, they will all start to go broke.
The more flexible will adapt to the new conditions and change their work pattern accordingly. Some will quickly realise that nobody is working the so called quiet periods and will start to cover those instead.
If the peak period is 2 hours in the evening, some will place this at the end of their shift, others at the start and some half way through. Some will avoid this period altogether and work the quiet bits, because there will be far less competition.

Your logic is flawed because you make assumptions which just don't add up.
For example:
You assume everyone will work the same hours, yet some will have used up their hours on contract work during the day and will not be able to work nights.

Radio bases will alter drivers' shifts to ensure the office is adequately covered at all times. Not all cars will be on shift at the same time.

In short, your logic is trying to have it's cake and eat it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next