Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:36 pm 

Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:
so what does he need to make per hour .

I think 40 hours are too low to make a full-time living out this trade.

But 60 hours at £10-15 an hour (depending on shifts) shouldn't be that unobtainable.

600 to 900 a week i wish !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:38 pm 

MrT wrote:
I have for 30 years said... that a driver should be able to earn a living by working 40 hours. so that means pay for his vehicle. then maintenance. insurance. road tax. licensing fees. fuel.. his wages.. and his tax.... and maybe accountant.... so what does he need to make per hour .

I'm gonna have a wild guess, although I don't think it's that wild, and suggest it's around the £20 ph mark. So if on average your job is £5.50 (which they reckon it is) then that's 4 jobs per hour worked :wink: Having said that is it enough to cover sick pay, holiday pay etc etc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:41 pm 

toots wrote:
MrT wrote:
I have for 30 years said... that a driver should be able to earn a living by working 40 hours. so that means pay for his vehicle. then maintenance. insurance. road tax. licensing fees. fuel.. his wages.. and his tax.... and maybe accountant.... so what does he need to make per hour .

I'm gonna have a wild guess, although I don't think it's that wild, and suggest it's around the £20 ph mark. So if on average your job is £5.50 (which they reckon it is) then that's 4 jobs per hour worked :wink: Having said that is it enough to cover sick pay, holiday pay etc etc

and how many jobs per hour to you think they get...... and as for sick pay don't start me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:42 pm 

Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:
so what does he need to make per hour .

I think 40 hours are too low to make a full-time living out this trade.

But 60 hours at £10-15 an hour (depending on shifts) shouldn't be that unobtainable.

The only reason you'd work silly hours like that on a regular basis, sat on your ass is because you wanna die young :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:43 pm 

MR T wrote:
toots wrote:
MrT wrote:

and how many jobs per hour to you think they get...... and as for sick pay don't start me

There is no reason why they can't have sick pay or holiday pay :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:46 pm 

Quote:
There is no reason why they can't have sick pay or holiday pay

explain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:51 pm 

MR T wrote:
So a licensing officer who works 37 hours a week... in a warmer Office.... does not run the risk of being attacked.... is a better person than you and should be paid more... is that what you're saying

Far from it.

They are not better people, but sadly people aren't rewarded on a nice person scale.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:52 pm 

blackpool wrote:

If you think £10 an hour is unobtainable, then that's very sad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:54 pm 

MR T wrote:
Quote:
There is no reason why they can't have sick pay or holiday pay

explain

Explain what exactly? Drivers are paying operators who are not giving any benefits what they need to do is make them give benefits or go to an operator that does give benefits :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:57 pm 

Sussex wrote:
blackpool wrote:

If you think £10 an hour is unobtainable, then that's very sad.

You think its sad that taxi drivers dontvearn 10 pound per hour all year round ? You live in a bubble .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:59 pm 

blackpool wrote:
You think its sad that taxi drivers dontvearn 10 pound per hour all year round ? You live in a bubble .

I do find it sad that drivers don't average a min of £10 per hour, but don't twist my words.

We are discussing what drivers could earn if hours were limited, and I gave a range that said £10 should be obtainable depending on what shifts drivers did.

You might be content earning f*** all, but I'm not.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:55 pm 

Sussex wrote:
blackpool wrote:

I do find it sad that drivers don't average a min of £10 per hour, but don't twist my words.

We are discussing what drivers could earn if hours were limited, and I gave a range that said £10 should be obtainable depending on what shifts drivers did.

You might be content earning f*** all, but I'm not.

What i earn is for me to know,certainly not on a public forum .As for limiting hours its a joke,people do this job for the freedom of it and flexibility.You can twist your own words to that

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:00 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
It's obvious that if tachographs were introduced, it would create unmet demand at many times of a 24 hour period and significant unmet demand at extraordinary periods, such as described above.

It would depend on what's the max number of hours we could work.

If it was 12 hours a day it wouldn't cause that much of a problem, other than to the greedy bas****s.

But if it was 8-10 hours then that might cause some problems at the busier times.

That's where I stand on it...we need some leeway on driver hours..at a lowly 80p a mile roughly, earned on snarled up roads and all based on intermitent customers we need to be cut some slack.

I think I could count on the fingers of one hand those few days in a year I've driven more than a total of ten hours within a 24 hour period. But the work might include some evening work one day and some morning work the next and that they total less than 4 hours, but this would be fecked all together by a compulsory 10 hour Rest/sleep period if I Finished at Midnight and left again at 7.00am.

But beyond the Driving hours I like many others will have accounts, Maintenance, and a myriad of other things to do during the day to day running of a business, so its not just the hours driving but the many hours after the driving that counts as days work.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:45 am 

Sussex wrote:

I only wish; that would be utopia!

There's no chance of earning that type of money in Brum.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:59 am 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Sussex wrote:

I only wish; that would be utopia!

There's no chance of earning that type of money in Brum.

Can somebody explain to me what is reasonable about having to work 60 hours per week :? I understand that it maybe a necessity but I certainly don't think it's reasonable by any stretch of the imagination

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next