Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:28 pm 

MR T wrote:
gusmac wrote:
captain cab wrote:
Having to work excessive hours, and 18 hour shifts on a weekend just to earn enough to pay the bills is 'victorian' ffs.

And that's it in a nutshell.

There you go Gus..... we agree...... I always thought you would come round to my a way of thinking eventually..... :shock:

Or maybe you've come round to mine 8)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:31 pm 

gusmac wrote:
bloodnock wrote:
gusmac wrote:
Flawed logic. I'll let you work out why. #-o

No, I'd rather you enlighten me as to your perceived flaws because I recon I'm not far off the mark on this one.

It's quite simple Sherlock.
I see no reason why the number of potential customers or the value of their fares will increase or decrease. Demand isn't dependent on the number of vehicles. Meeting that demand is.
If everyone works the same hours, they will all start to go broke.
The more flexible will adapt to the new conditions and change their work pattern accordingly. Some will quickly realise that nobody is working the so called quiet periods and will start to cover those instead.
If the peak period is 2 hours in the evening, some will place this at the end of their shift, others at the start and some half way through. Some will avoid this period altogether and work the quiet bits, because there will be far less competition.

Your logic is flawed because you make assumptions which just don't add up.
For example:
You assume everyone will work the same hours, yet some will have used up their hours on contract work during the day and will not be able to work nights.

Radio bases will alter drivers' shifts to ensure the office is adequately covered at all times. Not all cars will be on shift at the same time.

In short, your logic is trying to have it's cake and eat it.

I've worked that way myself.... family life became non-existent... it was no longer a job... it was a way of life... purely existing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:36 pm 

How do you put a tachograph on the electricians/plumbers/joiners who have all done a fifty hour week and then want to drive a cab all weekend....... when do these part timers become dangerously tired :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:44 pm 

gusmac wrote:
bloodnock wrote:
gusmac wrote:
Flawed logic. I'll let you work out why. #-o

No, I'd rather you enlighten me as to your perceived flaws because I recon I'm not far off the mark on this one.

It's quite simple Sherlock.
I see no reason why the number of potential customers or the value of their fares will increase or decrease. Demand isn't dependent on the number of vehicles. Meeting that demand is.
If everyone works the same hours, they will all start to go broke.
The more flexible will adapt to the new conditions and change their work pattern accordingly. Some will quickly realise that nobody is working the so called quiet periods and will start to cover those instead.
If the peak period is 2 hours in the evening, some will place this at the end of their shift, others at the start and some half way through. Some will avoid this period altogether and work the quiet bits, because there will be far less competition.

Your logic is flawed because you make assumptions which just don't add up.
For example:
You assume everyone will work the same hours, yet some will have used up their hours on contract work during the day and will not be able to work nights.

Radio bases will alter drivers' shifts to ensure the office is adequately covered at all times. Not all cars will be on shift at the same time.

In short, your logic is trying to have it's cake and eat it.

Other than a few Mr Flexibles, will Mr Lucky Driver get all the good shifts and Mr Unlucky Driver sit back and watch someone else get all the juicy shifts..cos if you started distributing shifts like that some will win and some will lose and if you distribute them evenly they all lose out over all.

Whats more, In rural areas where runs are generally fewer but lengthier and where they don't have Radio bases because people book direct with their local Taxi/PH one man band. Tachographs would be even more burdensome because our average outward and homewards journeys are so much longer than your city hops. you might be able to cram in 8 of 10 of the runs youv'e been approached to do in your last available driving hour, but we in the country might in the last available hour or more be unable able to fit in so much as single 40 mile round run we are asked to do because it might leave us stranded away from home and this would also leave a customer potentially stranded, what works in the City or town would not work in the rural areas due to the simple logistics of average journey distances being longer and the LC should realise that this would create a serious problem to rural areas who already suffer from lack of public transport, it might even encourage more rural drink driving if they have no other way to get home.

It's bugger all to do with having our Cake and Eating it, it's about having the ability to carry out and full fill our job over the bigger areas involved with rural taxiing and PH'ing...

Your flawed view is that your basing it on the simlplistic because your struggling to grasp the more complicated issues involved...

Over to you.. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:48 pm 

Nidge2 wrote:
Round here we need £13 per hour to break even then on top of that we've got our wages to earn, add the £6 minimum fare on and you have a grand total of £19 per hour. That can't be done every hour of the week.

I agree, but it appears you can get by in Blackpool on two groats and a lump of coal per hour.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:46 pm 

bloodnock wrote:

Your flawed view is that your basing it on the simlplistic because your struggling to grasp the more complicated issues involved...

If it's complicated, it's because you make it that way.

If you are so over worked with 40 mile runs in your last hour then START LATER. It's not rocket science.
Get an arrangement with another driver to cover what you can't do and you cover his.

The problem here is you want to do contract work from early morning till evening and cash work at night. You don't want anything that will get in your way. If fools like you weren't trying to cover every hour of every day by themselves, cutting prices to the bone and everyone's throats in the process, there would be no problem.
Its dinosaurs like you spending every waking hour chasing every last quid, that are the problem. It's a wonder you can sleep, for fear that you'll miss out on a fiver. Perhaps you don't.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:50 pm 

gusmac wrote:
bloodnock wrote:

If it's complicated, it's because you make it that way.

If you are so over worked with 40 mile runs in your last hour then START LATER. It's not rocket science.
Get an arrangement with another driver to cover what you can't do and you cover his.

The problem here is you want to do contract work from early morning till evening and cash work at night. You don't want anything that will get in your way. If fools like you weren't trying to cover every hour of every day by themselves, cutting prices to the bone and everyone's throats in the process, there would be no problem.
Its dinosaurs like you spending every waking hour chasing every last quid, that are the problem. It's a wonder you can sleep, for fear that you'll miss out on a fiver. Perhaps you don't.

You have not got a Clue to the actual Hours I work, I certainly would not lose any sleep over a fiver nor need to concern myself over same fiver. I tend to work the top end of the market and focus on contract work, I don't come cheap and I never discount, I offer quality over quantity and I do alright as it is without bursting a gut.

It takes a special kind of self righteous Ignoramus to pre-judge other peoples work hours or of their greed for money.

I'm getting a tad fed up of your allegations that we PH guys are all greedy and work all hours, we are no more guilty of doing that than you hacks are.

My argument is not about retaining the right of the idiot to work long hours, It's always been that we need flexibility to allow for those occasional lengthy and changeable runs that might catch people out timewise.

Money has never bothered me much, with or without working in this trade I'd get by just fine.

Out of curiosity, are all Aberdonian Hacks as presumptuous and condescending as you?

:badgrin:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:51 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Nidge2 wrote:
Round here we need £13 per hour to break even then on top of that we've got our wages to earn, add the £6 minimum fare on and you have a grand total of £19 per hour. That can't be done every hour of the week.

I agree, but it appears you can get by in Blackpool on two groats and a lump of coal per hour.

Like you have a clue,try entering the real world now and again

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:51 am 

andycable wrote:
How do you put a tachograph on the electricians/plumbers/joiners who have all done a fifty hour week and then want to drive a cab all weekend....... when do these part timers become dangerously tired :roll:

By allowing them to drive for 9 hours in any one shift.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:07 am 

bloodnock wrote:

You have not got a Clue to the actual Hours I work, I certainly would not lose any sleep over a fiver nor need to concern myself over same fiver. I tend to work the top end of the market and focus on contract work, I don't come cheap and I never discount, I offer quality over quantity and I do alright as it is without bursting a gut.

So you don't tender for School, social work, hospital and other such "quality" cut rate work?
You don't compete with volunteer drivers for this quality work?
And you don't do cash work at nights?
:roll:

bloodnock wrote:
It takes a special kind of self righteous Ignoramus to pre-judge other peoples work hours or of their greed for money.

I'm getting a tad fed up of your allegations that we PH guys are all greedy and work all hours, we are no more guilty of doing that than you hacks are.

It doesn't take much knowledge to misread or misrepresent what I said. In fact you seem to be doing fine without any special talent.
Perhaps you could point out where I drew or alleged any distinction between PH and Taxis in this regard? Greed and stupidity are in abundance on both sides of the trade.

bloodnock wrote:
My argument is not about retaining the right of the idiot to work long hours, It's always been that we need flexibility to allow for those occasional lengthy and changeable runs that might catch people out timewise.

Money has never bothered me much, with or without working in this trade I'd get by just fine.

This doesn't add up. If this was your only concern, your opposition to tachos would be pointless, other than the cost of fitting one.
But I'll bite. Just exactly how much flexibility do you think you need?

Current regulations for drivers of vehicles with more than 9 passenger seats allow a daily driving limit of 9 hours, with 10 hours allowed up to twice a week. The occasional 40 mile trip at the end of a shift you alluded to earlier, could easily be accommodated in an extra hour, especially on quiet rural roads.
If it happens more than twice in a week, it's hardly occasional, and If it can't be done in an hour, you pass it on to someone who's arse hasn't already been in the saddle for 9 hours. Simples

bloodnock wrote:
Out of curiosity, are all Aberdonian Hacks as presumptuous and condescending as you?

No, some of them are obstinate, cantankerous old know-alls with no life outside the trade, kids they pay for but never see and wives who left them years ago for blokes who actually know where their home is.

Sound like anyone you know? :badgrin:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:16 am 

gusmac wrote:
bloodnock wrote:

So you don't tender for School, social work, hospital and other such "quality" cut rate work?

bloodnock wrote:

It doesn't take much knowledge to misread or misrepresent what I said. In fact you seem to be doing fine without any special talent.
Perhaps you could point out where I drew or alleged any distinction between PH and Taxis in this regard? Greed and stupidity are in abundance on both sides of the trade.

bloodnock wrote:

This doesn't add up. If this was your only concern, your opposition to tachos would be pointless, other than the cost of fitting one.

Current regulations for drivers of vehicles with more than 9 passenger seats allow a daily driving limit of 9 hours, with 10 hours allowed up to twice a week. The occasional 40 mile trip at the end of a shift you alluded to earlier, could easily be accommodated in an extra hour, especially on quiet rural roads.
If it happens more than twice in a week, it's hardly occasional, and If it can't be done in an hour, you pass it on to someone who's arse hasn't already been in the saddle for 9 hours. Simples

bloodnock wrote:

No, some of them are obstinate, cantankerous old know-alls with no life outside the trade, kids they pay for but never see and wives who left them years ago for blokes who actually know where their home is.

"Yada Yada Yada" as you once replied.

Your beaten, just get over it :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:23 am 

bloodnock wrote:
gusmac wrote:
bloodnock wrote:

bloodnock wrote:

bloodnock wrote:

bloodnock wrote:

"Yada Yada Yada" as you once replied.

Your beaten, just get over it :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

Beaten? Thats you fool.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:40 am 

Quote:
Beaten? Thats you fool.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This song could have been written for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XCVnV5CGh0

Especially the part at 1.23

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:51 am 

Isn't there a special Forum section for these shenanigans called the Scottish Section?

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:56 am 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Isn't there a special Forum section for these shenanigans called the Scottish Section?

Its not a Scottish only Topic..and Cant we Scots post in the mainstream Subject topics ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next