Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Can
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:59 pm 

towag wrote:
It's really quite strange that when it's cold or raining suddenly those who say they can't get into a WAV can suddenly do so.... :badgrin:
When they do find that they are easy to get into and out of (Hackney Spec) and ARE the same fare as a saloon they are quite impressed.... :roll: :roll: =D> #-o

Are they really ALL that and like that everywhere, no they're not. Some people have to be assisted into HCs and would rather wait in the rain for the saloon, which here is not only easier for them to get into but is cheaper than the HC. Not everybody is the same and not all areas are the same and nor should they be. It is not for you or I to decide what type of vehicle the customer has to travel in but I'd put money on the customers marching with their feet if all they could get was a purpose built HC. I think we'd end up pre 1976 if that was the case. A little food for thought, how does an arthritic with very little ability to grip anything safely put themselves into a purpose built taxi? I know it's not easy whichever vehicle they are getting into but I know which type they prefer, in my experience they don't like to be man handled. How would you like it if you didn't have a choice for the things you wanted?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:27 pm 

toots wrote:
towag wrote:
It's really quite strange that when it's cold or raining suddenly those who say they can't get into a WAV can suddenly do so.... :badgrin:
When they do find that they are easy to get into and out of (Hackney Spec) and ARE the same fare as a saloon they are quite impressed.... :roll: :roll: =D> #-o

Are they really ALL that and like that everywhere, no they're not. Some people have to be assisted into HCs and would rather wait in the rain for the saloon, which here is not only easier for them to get into but is cheaper than the HC. Not everybody is the same and not all areas are the same and nor should they be. It is not for you or I to decide what type of vehicle the customer has to travel in but I'd put money on the customers marching with their feet if all they could get was a purpose built HC. I think we'd end up pre 1976 if that was the case. A little food for thought, how does an arthritic with very little ability to grip anything safely put themselves into a purpose built taxi? I know it's not easy whichever vehicle they are getting into but I know which type they prefer, in my experience they don't like to be man handled. How would you like it if you didn't have a choice for the things you wanted?

Funnily enough they are ("Some") in the minority and should call for an ambulance if they are that bad they can't get in or out of any car period. Cheaper? Definitely not!!!! PH here have a minimum fare of £4.50 and most of them only go around the corner and meter the pull off at £2.80!!! So there you go!! =D> Yes we have a duty of care, but where does one draw the line? If they prefer a PH or a saloon they can phone for one and freeze in the meantime, not wait on the rank and then complain that they can't get in when they can. I'm of the attitude that if they want to get in they will with a bit of help from me or they can wait for a more expensive saloon who doesn't really want to do it anyway. I think Toots you are most definitely in the very rare minority when it comes to PH service...... :badgrin:
The more miserable, grumpy ones who can't even say please, I just point out that they can get in and I will glad to help, but I'm not taking responsibility if they hurt themselves. They more often than not decline..... :roll: :lol: In other words ya cant help everyone all of the time and you in a saloon are in some way indirectly discriminating in not being able to take someone in a wheelchair if they can't get out of it!!.... Think about it..... #-o :-|

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:46 am 

towag wrote:
toots wrote:
towag wrote:

Funnily enough they are ("Some") in the minority and should call for an ambulance if they are that bad they can't get in or out of any car period. Cheaper? Definitely not!!!! PH here have a minimum fare of £4.50 and most of them only go around the corner and meter the pull off at £2.80!!! So there you go!! =D> Yes we have a duty of care, but where does one draw the line? If they prefer a PH or a saloon they can phone for one and freeze in the meantime, not wait on the rank and then complain that they can't get in when they can. I'm of the attitude that if they want to get in they will with a bit of help from me or they can wait for a more expensive saloon who doesn't really want to do it anyway. I think Toots you are most definitely in the very rare minority when it comes to PH service...... :badgrin:
The more miserable, grumpy ones who can't even say please, I just point out that they can get in and I will glad to help, but I'm not taking responsibility if they hurt themselves. They more often than not decline..... :roll: :lol: In other words ya cant help everyone all of the time and you in a saloon are in some way indirectly discriminating in not being able to take someone in a wheelchair if they can't get out of it!!.... Think about it..... #-o :-|

I think you will find that just because you say you won't be responsible doesn't mean you won't be. Having read that you seem to be deliberately putting people off getting into your vehicle imo. I'm not sure why you believe that all people are the same and that all disabilities are the same it sounds like Stepford :wink: As this thread is whether or not there should be a single tier and all vehicles would be taxis I fail to see the relevance of the price comparison as they would all be metered vehicles and set at council rates. I also still believe that if all vehicles were to be WAVs you'd end up with the pre 1976 problem of unlicenced saloons performing ph work as there would be no room for the saloons in any new act. Like it or not the customer chooses the type of vehicle that transports them, not you or I.

This little gem "The more miserable, grumpy ones who can't even say please, I just point out that they can get in and I will glad to help, but I'm not taking responsibility if they hurt themselves." is as discriminating as you get, shame on you :roll: There's more than one way to discriminate.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:56 am 

Sussex wrote:
charles007 wrote:
Can anyone confirm what I heard at a meeting on Monday, That the law commision is again thinking of a one tear.

They prefer two, or multi-tiers.

That said the issue, to many in the trade, isn't about the amount of tiers, more allowing one of them to be restricted or not.

Tell me who said the LC are back to one tier? Cos I would like to pack them on the back. :D

A view not universally shared. :roll: :roll:

Bleedin Hell !!

Mr Sussex and Brummie Cabbie agree on something!

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:00 am 

towag wrote:
Sussex wrote:
towag wrote:
So you would be happy to see all the PH turn up to get on the ranks then......?

If the PH wish to convert to taxi then why shouldn't they turn up on the ranks? :?

Methinks Sussex is a wind up merchant???? :doubt:

I don't!

There is some logic in what he is saying.

Brummie Cabbie.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:06 am 

captain cab wrote:

Double Can!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVljWHTKjNs

Brummie Cabbie.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:10 am 

Quote:
I think you will find that just because you say you won't be responsible doesn't mean you won't be. Having read that you seem to be deliberately putting people off getting into your vehicle imo. I'm not sure why you believe that all people are the same and that all disabilities are the same it sounds like Stepford :wink: As this thread is whether or not there should be a single tier and all vehicles would be taxis I fail to see the relevance of the price comparison as they would all be metered vehicles and set at council rates. I also still believe that if all vehicles were to be WAVs you'd end up with the pre 1976 problem of unlicenced saloons performing ph work as there would be no room for the saloons in any new act. Like it or not the customer chooses the type of vehicle that transports them, not you or I.

This little gem "The more miserable, grumpy ones who can't even say please, I just point out that they can get in and I will glad to help, but I'm not taking responsibility if they hurt themselves." is as discriminating as you get, shame on you :roll: There's more than one way to discriminate.

No shame from me..... We are all entitled to some respect aren't we......? I've always had the philosophy that you only reap what you sow.... I am always willing to help those who want to help themselves, no matter what their disability!! Yes it's very true they have the choice, but if they keep walking past to get to a saloon, then they can keep walking past until there are no saloons available, and then create by being negative, grumpy, rude in the first place, by discriminating against me and all other WAV owners :roll: because they can get in when they want to..... Truth? Toots, I just say it as it is.... The fact that they CAN phone for a PH would tell those in the LC that things are fine as they are..... =D> Dear little old Ladies & Gents with all their problems who walk past those who won't and get in makes it quite funny when the negative ones bemoan them..... =D> :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:53 am 

captain cab wrote:
the dft stats tell a story :wink:

What's the story, Morning Glory?

Brummie Cabbie.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:20 pm 

towag wrote:
Quote:

No shame from me..... We are all entitled to some respect aren't we......? I've always had the philosophy that you only reap what you sow.... I am always willing to help those who want to help themselves, no matter what their disability!! Yes it's very true they have the choice, but if they keep walking past to get to a saloon, then they can keep walking past until there are no saloons available, and then create by being negative, grumpy, rude in the first place, by discriminating against me and all other WAV owners :roll: because they can get in when they want to..... Truth? Toots, I just say it as it is.... The fact that they CAN phone for a PH would tell those in the LC that things are fine as they are..... =D> Dear little old Ladies & Gents with all their problems who walk past those who won't and get in makes it quite funny when the negative ones bemoan them..... =D> :lol:

You're clearly very fond of what you think because you keep applauding yourself, perhaps you should wait for others to applaud what you write :wink: I have to say I find your attitude very difficult to comprehend tbh. It may well be that they can get into the WAV but it may cause them more pain, it may be more uncomfortable for them once inside for travelling, it may cause a loss of dignity for them. I know one chap, who when confronted with a purpose built vehicle, crawls up the slope on his hands and knees. Your attitude would be because he chooses to use saloons when they are available, f*** you when they're not. As you say "you reap what you sow" perhaps that is why the LC is looking at the trade in the first place and perhaps that is why ph has managed to take such a grip on the trade.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:54 pm 

when i was in the cotswolds where plates were deregulated we were all hackneys with our own telephone work and if you passed someone with their hand up you could stop and pick them up in that area the firms couldnt get a monopoly position because the punter knew he could either ring his favourite hackney on the phone or stick his hand up and easily get a taxi it all worked very well with only the very lazy taxi drivers paying a firm for radio work where ever i have taxi driven if you are good at your job and give out professional cards and your car is nice you will always make a living the only ones that ever moan are the ones that just sit on the rank moving up every ten minutes and not trying to be any better than that i call that lazy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:08 pm 

this my friends is why we now have a situation where private hire rules the roost and hackneys are sat doing nothing people by nature are lazy look at internet shopping closing all the shops down get some nice business cards printed keep your car looking mint and get off your arse put them through doors give them to bouncers on doors leave a pile in every restaurant it will pay off fight back against the private hire barons

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:50 pm 

toots wrote:
towag wrote:
Quote:

You're clearly very fond of what you think because you keep applauding yourself, perhaps you should wait for others to applaud what you write :wink: I have to say I find your attitude very difficult to comprehend tbh. It may well be that they can get into the WAV but it may cause them more pain, it may be more uncomfortable for them once inside for travelling, it may cause a loss of dignity for them. I know one chap, who when confronted with a purpose built vehicle, crawls up the slope on his hands and knees. Your attitude would be because he chooses to use saloons when they are available, f*** you when they're not. As you say "you reap what you sow" perhaps that is why the LC is looking at the trade in the first place and perhaps that is why ph has managed to take such a grip on the trade.

It's because I tell it as it is not what I dream it to be.....You haven't read what I wrote Toots.... I could say that you have a problem because you can't take somebody who is wheelchair bound and unable to get out of it!! So in a sense you are really discriminating!! When will you be buying your WAV when the LC change the rules to All public transport must be wheelchair accessible ? I also have an old boy who suffers with his hips, and quite a few others who suffer in one way or another, but insist on going with me because it's cheaper than PH at £4.50 a shot!!! It doesn't matter that they suffer pain as they do all the time, but manage it better than the moaners. I know it's true as the one's that moan I just tell them to get onto their MP or Councillor, who I'm sure will look into it and get more saloons on the ranks and them maybe I'll be able to buy one and discriminate against wheelchair bound people!!..... I don't discriminate nor do I refuse, as it is their choice, but then again I am willing to help those who want to help themselves period. I don't really care what you think as I know you have a typical PH mentality :D I wouldn't say that PH have a grip on the trade, there are just more of them as they don't want to fork out for a WAV (that caters for the majority), and become a Hack..... End Of.... :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:54 pm 

markheaney2 wrote:
when i was in the cotswolds where plates were deregulated we were all hackneys with our own telephone work and if you passed someone with their hand up you could stop and pick them up in that area the firms couldnt get a monopoly position because the punter knew he could either ring his favourite hackney on the phone or stick his hand up and easily get a taxi it all worked very well with only the very lazy taxi drivers paying a firm for radio work where ever i have taxi driven if you are good at your job and give out professional cards and your car is nice you will always make a living the only ones that ever moan are the ones that just sit on the rank moving up every ten minutes and not trying to be any better than that i call that lazy

SPOT ON!!!! =D> :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:02 pm 

markheaney2 wrote:
this my friends is why we now have a situation where private hire rules the roost and hackneys are sat doing nothing people by nature are lazy look at internet shopping closing all the shops down get some nice business cards printed keep your car looking mint and get off your arse put them through doors give them to bouncers on doors leave a pile in every restaurant it will pay off fight back against the private hire barons

=D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:57 pm 

towag wrote:
I don't really care what you think as I know you have a typical PH mentality I wouldn't say that PH have a grip on the trade, there are just more of them as they don't want to fork out for a WAV (that caters for the majority), and become a Hack..... End Of....

If a typical ph mentality is that of knowing one vehicle does not suit all and a variety of services and vehicles are required to meet public need then yes I do have a typical ph mentality. I'd put money on you not caring what anybody thinks :wink:

Quote:
I could say that you have a problem because you can't take somebody who is wheelchair bound and unable to get out of it!! So in a sense you are really discriminating!!

Indeed you could say that, you could also say that the driver that works days is discriminating against the night time users. We can't all do everything. Variety is the key.

Quote:
I also have an old boy who suffers with his hips, and quite a few others who suffer in one way or another, but insist on going with me because it's cheaper than PH at £4.50 a shot!!!

Ph is cheaper here than taxis, but, you know that I've already said. You say they go with you because you are cheaper not because they prefer a WAV.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next