Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:35 pm 

The RMT London Taxi branch agreed a motion to have the ability within law to ask for a deposit against the fare expected for the journey being taken within your LA area(I know drivers do already request such a deposit) but it is not legal at present within your LA. There is difference where proceeding to an destination outside your LA where a deposit can be requested. We have had some passengers initiate complaints to the LA. This would probably not apply to most areas but in London we can have a fares in the region of £65 to £75 at night rates when going out to the boundary's of the GLA and that hurts in the pocket when bilked. We would expect if such a law was forthcoming from parliamentarians that the Local Authority would have a say if such a deposit system being allowed to operate in there LA. but the law would be in statute and available.
We proposed to put this forward to Law Comm in our January meetings and as addition to any parliamentary bill forthcoming in late 2013.

DJV

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:00 pm 

DJV wrote:
We proposed to put this forward to Law Comm in our January meetings and as addition to any parliamentary bill forthcoming in late 2013.

Did you not consider doing so during the consultation period?

Outside of London I think a sensible taxi driver who knows the acts can ask for a deposit within his licensing area legally.

Problem is that they are a rarity. :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:58 am 

I don't think there a rarity, they're the sensible drivers mate, very common down here. As long as you negotiate the fare in a fair manner you will be ok. We all know of instances where a colleague had lost a lot of time and money on a job.

Anyway the article quotes some fAre disputes, I would be interested to know where they were going and from where to see if they are indeed being Bilked.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:00 am 

187ums wrote:
I don't think there a rarity, they're the sensible drivers mate, very common down here.

The rarity issue isn't in relation to the number of drivers that ask for a deposit within their area, but the ones who know how to do it legally.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:00 am 

DJV wrote:
The RMT London Taxi branch agreed a motion to have the ability within law to ask for a deposit against the fare expected for the journey being taken within your LA area(I know drivers do already request such a deposit) but it is not legal at present within your LA. There is difference where proceeding to an destination outside your LA where a deposit can be requested. We have had some passengers initiate complaints to the LA. This would probably not apply to most areas but in London we can have a fares in the region of £65 to £75 at night rates when going out to the boundary's of the GLA and that hurts in the pocket when bilked. We would expect if such a law was forthcoming from parliamentarians that the Local Authority would have a say if such a deposit system being allowed to operate in there LA. but the law would be in statute and available.

DJV

Hear, hear!!!

January meetings with the Law Commission?

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:52 pm 

Off a rank, after midnight, a tenner upfront - twenty if it warrants it

if they aint got it they cant pay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:37 pm 

Well done the RMT =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

I AM PROUD TO BE A CITIZEN NOBODY'S SUBJECT http://www.republic.org.u

F88K EM ALL WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:48 am 

until police or council compo me for runner i ask for cash before if job long one i not care if they not like i not be mug when get to other end

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:13 pm 

Tico wrote:
until police or council compo me for runner i ask for cash before if job long one i not care if they not like i not be mug when get to other end

Absolutly.