Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:47 pm 

toots wrote:
Whether you call it 'deregulation of restriction' or whether you call it 'de-restriction' it's effects are the same.

I know, but many people call it deregulation, which it isn't.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:52 pm 

toots wrote:
There was very little by way of driver standards discussed by the LC so it's not likely that much will come from that idea. If driver standards were high then you wouldn't have to worry about restricting vehicle licences.

The LC are/were proposing a basic standard, based on safety, for both taxi and PH, with the proviso that councils could increase those standards for the taxi trade. In effect that's, in my opinion, what the 1976 act stated.

I disagree with your point about high standards, in relation to the need for restrictions. I take the view that with high standards you wouldn't need restrictions.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:53 pm 

toots wrote:
I think you will find that the LC remit was to deregulate the conditions for both drivers and vehicles, that includes any restriction of numbers.

I agree with that assessment, but we are where we are.

Be in no doubt the LC wouldn't have produced what they did if they felt the DfT would bin them off.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:19 am 

Mr Sussex you sure do seem to be in the know !! Have you been feeding the LC with your biased?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:47 am 

Sussex wrote:
toots wrote:
There was very little by way of driver standards discussed by the LC so it's not likely that much will come from that idea. If driver standards were high then you wouldn't have to worry about restricting vehicle licences.

The LC are/were proposing a basic standard, based on safety, for both taxi and PH, with the proviso that councils could increase those standards for the taxi trade. In effect that's, in my opinion, what the 1976 act stated.

I disagree with your point about high standards, in relation to the need for restrictions. I take the view that with high standards you wouldn't need restrictions.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:27 am 

187ums wrote:
Mr Sussex you sure do seem to be in the know !! Have you been feeding the LC with your biased?

Non stop since the LC announced they were looking at the taxi/PH trade. Day and night. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:40 pm 

187ums wrote:
Apparently the LC will be rolling in to town for a meeting with the council and the taxi association.

I wonder what will be on the agenda?

That must be a vicious rumour.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:03 pm 

It's no rumour, according to the association news letter they're coming to town. It's in black and white, however the association could be making it up, but I doubt that very much....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:08 pm 

187ums wrote:
It's no rumour, according to the association news letter they're coming to town. It's in black and white, however the association could be making it up, but I doubt that very much....

I wonder what the association would answer to the question how come you can afford virtually the most expensive 'plates' in the UK but cant afford a camera security system? And it pains me to point the obvious out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:28 pm 

captain cab wrote:
187ums wrote:

I wonder what the association would answer to the question how come you can afford virtually the most expensive 'plates' in the UK but cant afford a camera security system? And it pains me to point the obvious out.

Obviously once they've paid for the plates they haven't got owt left for cameras :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:49 pm 

Everyone's waiting for the Southampton ruling, and don't forget that the last association secretary had to resign over this very issue. CCTV should be optional. As for plate prices, I think they may be heading north rather than south..,

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:19 am 

Anyway the point of the thread was are the LC rolling in to your town and if so when and why ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:31 am 

187ums wrote:
Everyone's waiting for the Southampton ruling, and don't forget that the last association secretary had to resign over this very issue. CCTV should be optional. As for plate prices, I think they may be heading north rather than south..,

http://www.localgovernmentlawyer.co.uk/ ... s&Itemid=1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:52 pm 

toots wrote:
Sussex wrote:
toots wrote:

Well that clears that up :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: I think

The Hackney Association Ltd
bbha@btinternet.com